HP 2 AND GPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

swstow

Premium Subscriber
Can not get the HP 2 to come out of ignore GPS and get it to git to GPS mode , have followed the easy to read instructions and still can't get it and GPS mode

ST-Bob

Premium Subscriber
Most of the initial problems with seeing a GPS puck involve not having the right cable(s) to get the serial transmit data line connected to the scanner's receive data line. Depending on what cable you bought and what gender it has on it you may need a gender changer and/or a null-modem adapter. The easiest (and that doesn't mean it's that easy) way to tell if you've got it wired right is to measure the voltage on the 9-pin connectors. On the scanner side, either pin 2 or 3 will show -5 volts between the pin and pin 5 (ground). On the GPS, it should show -5 volts on the opposite pin (pin 2 or 3). If you have -5 on the same pin at both ends, you need a null-modem.

The second most common problem is the connector being broken inside the scanner. This has happened to me a couple of times and it's not easy to fix without strong light and magnification plus a really fine soldering tip on your iron. The connector is surface-mounted and has 4 tiny 0.5mm spaced pins soldered to the board. It's common for stress to break one or more pins loose.

Third most common reason for no GPS reception is the GPS is set for an incompatible speed or data type. It should be set for 4800 BPS and NMEA 0183 serial data format.

N1NCZ

You may have the plug into the HP-II for the GPS set backwards (ask me how I know,very frustrated initially when it worked some times and not others) - Good luck - Eich N1NCZ

swstow

Premium Subscriber
yes i was putting the GPS plug in backwards ( DUH ) now for next stupid question , when scanning full data base mode and set GPS for only say 5 miles does it override the miles setting in the data base / what my issue is , if i have GPS range 5 miles i will still pick up home area when i am 20 miles away

ST-Bob

Premium Subscriber
If the system you're trying to hear has a 15 mile radius of intended coverage and you move 16 miles away - with a 0 mile range on the scanner, you would not receive it. With a 5 mile range, you would receive it.

The range on the scanner is added to the range on the system saved in the database. When the two range circles touch or overlap, you receive it.

Most systems aren't correctly set up in the database anyway. It's a huge task to get them all correct so most are simply set to cover the whole county or state they're in. Not very useful, IMHO, which is why I became a DB Admin for Massachusetts - so I could fix the geotags myself.

Bob - KB1VUA
RR db admin (Massachusetts)

swstow

Premium Subscriber
thanks ST-Bob, , i have been setting my range at about 5 miles , thinking its 5 miles based on my location while driving i will leave it at zero

UPMan i will read it over again , but i do have a question ( if you would ) the GPS on the scanner seems to be interfering with my garmin GPS , while my HP2 is on my Garmin will loose satellite reception or showing me driving when i am stationary or not track me on the road correctly , but when the HP 2 is off my Garmin works correctly, or is this a location location location issue

Attachments

• WP_20170215_11_57_35_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170215_11_57_35_Pro.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 151
Status
Not open for further replies.