HP-2: HP-2 can you upgrade digital modes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRsTheMAN

Have access to a good deal on an HP-2. But, before I buy can I purchase an software upgrade to receive DMR, ProVoice and NXDN? Google is all over the place where you have to mail in your scanner to get upgraded, which I do not mind. But thought to ask someone here that has done it. Thanks! 73s

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It is what it is out of the box. No upgrades are available or possible.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Google is all over the place where you have to mail in your scanner to get upgraded, which I do not mind. But thought to ask someone here that has done it. Thanks! 73s

As others have mentioned.... No. The HP-2 can't be upgraded for those modes. But for future reference......

Any of the Uniden scanners that are capable of being upgraded to those modes Do Not need to be sent anywhere for those upgrades. You can do them at home yourself - on line - very easily, and just takes a few minutes. And if you purchase a scanner from a dealer, do not pay them to do the upgrades before shipping it to you. The upgrades are much less expensive if you do them yourself.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
FYI also, The HP2 is not any good if you plan on listening to any simulcast systems.

Not necessarily true. As with real estate, it's all about location, location, location. At home, my HP-2 doesn't do so well with my county's simulcast system, but just a few miles to the west at work, it picks up the system just as well as my SDS100 does.

:)

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Overall though, the HomePatrols are the worst choice for simulcast reception. They choke in locations where an x36 will still work well.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I use my HP2 as a mobile with the local simulcast system with no problems.
That doesn't mean most people can do so. And if you don't have a radio designed for simulcast as a reference, you don't always know if you're missing traffic. You're just as likely to get silence as garbles.

Railbender

Premium Subscriber
That doesn't mean most people can do so. And if you don't have a radio designed for simulcast as a reference, you don't always know if you're missing traffic. You're just as likely to get silence as garbles.
Would you consider a Unication G3 as adequate reference? As I said I have no simulcast problems with the HP-2.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Yes. But that doesn't change the fact that the HomePatrol line is Uniden's worst simulcast performer.

In head to head tests between a SDS100, a 436, and a HP2 monitoring simulcast in a difficult location using a shared antenna, the 436 picked up about 70% of the traffic heard by the SDS, but the HomePatrol only got about 40%.

In the right location, all 3 will work fine on simulcast. But the HomePatrols are a lot pickier about location than the x36 or SDS models.

mc48

Premium Subscriber
I have to play with my HP2 constantly to get it to operate, different antennas, manual decode values and A/B filters.
(Yes the HP2 has hidden filters and P25 decode mode.)

Status
Not open for further replies.