HP 2 not receiving Motorola channels

Glentay654

New HP 2. It will not pick up Motorola channels. Previous scanner was a GREcom - no problem with Motorola on that unit. The scanner picks up fire calls. Signal stretch on the Motorola channels is 3-4 bars. I am probably 12km from the tower.

mciupa

Are you trying to monitor FleetNet Zone 2? If you are, make sure you have Drummond Centre showing up in orange as a site you want to monitor. The other Motorola system is a DMR system owned by Bearcom. DMR is not available on the HP-2.
You could try to increase the range you want to monitor. Are you using the supplied antenna?
Take a look at the Service types. They should all be activated.

I guess you are hearing the County Fire from the link below.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the RR forums. Please provide specific examples of agencies or systems you're not able to receive so we can get eyes on the database to identify possible issues (conventional objects? trunked radio systems? both?). "Motorola channels" doesn't tell us much. Specific info goes a long way when asking for help here

Last edited:

Glentay654

Are you trying to monitor FleetNet Zone 2? If you are, make sure you have Drummond Centre showing up in orange as a site you want to monitor. The other Motorola system is a DMR system owned by Bearcom. DMR is not available on the HP-2.
You could try to increase the range you want to monitor. Are you using the supplied antenna?
Take a look at the Service types. They should all be activated.

I guess you are hearing the County Fire from the link below.
Thanks
Yes I am trying to Monitor FleetNet Zone 2. Drummond tower is in orange and I have all the other towers off (avoid)
All service types are selected. Yes, I am getting County Fire based on the link.
I am also picking up Frontenac Fire, their tower is probably 25 - 30 km from my location
I am using the supplied antenna but have ordered a new antenna.
I will increase the range which is set at 15 miles.

Welcome to the RR forums. Please provide specific examples of agencies or systems you're not able to receive so we can get eyes on the database to identify possible issues (conventional objects? trunked radio systems? both?). "Motorola channels" doesn't tell us much. Specific info goes a long way when asking for help here
I am not receiving FleetNet Zone 2, so no OPP, MOH ambulance, MNR. When I pause the scanner on Motorola I can see good signal strength but no audio.

mciupa

Does "pause the scanner on Motorola" mean you are holding on the active Control Channel?

What if you tap the Bell FleetNet Zone 2 system on the scanner screen and turn it orange to hold on it, no action? Using the Full Database, something should show up.
Double check your antenna connection and move the scanner around to see if there are somethings that are blocking reception. Higher is better.

Glentay654

Well I do not seem to have that option
I can pause it on Bell FleetNet Ontario provincial government and then click to OPP.
The problem seems to be I do not have FleetNet Zone 2 on the scanner. Scrolled down on both Bell FleetNet and Ontario Provincial Police - no digital channels.

mciupa

If you set your location by Postal Code, Zone 2 should show up.
Other things that are running through my mind is the squelch level may be too high or (and I hope I am wrong) is that you purchased a defective used scanner. It should be able do P25 Phase I and Phase II perfectly. I had mine for five years without issue and then the clock reset issue came up and when DMR and NXDN came on the scene, I wanted a radio that would decode those protocols, which the HomePatrol-2 didn't.

Glentay654

I have used postal code and location - no luck. And yes, I purchased a reconditioned scanner via Amazon so I expect I can return it.
I am going to try reloading the databases if that does not work back it goes.

And thanks for all your help!

gary123

Another quick test would be to do a Custom frequency search from 139-144. You should hit a few control channels. Temporarily lock them out. Continue searching the band. You should hit a few EMS and OPP transmissions. If the OPP P25 are decoded then you know its a programming issue.

If it is programming, use the RR database to identify the towers you are hearing and then do some editing or create your own scan personality.