HP 2 questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
Does it come with BNC adapter? And I guess I need like a iphone USB wall block? How Do you like it? I currently use the BCD536HP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Does it come with BNC adapter? And I guess I need like a iphone USB wall block? How Do you like it? I currently use the BCD536HP

The HP-2 does come with an SMA->BNC adapter. It's tucked into a fold of the cardboard tray that separates the various items that comes with it, can be overlooked if not careful.

Use a USB adapter that provides 1 amp or more, must also be a "smart" adapter, to be able to scan & charge at the same time. I charge externally. Any standard USB source (5v, 500ma) will operate the scanner.

The HP-2 has the best looking display (other than the identical one on the HP-1) of any scanner. While the HP-2 does not have all the bells and whistles of the 536HP, or other base/mobile scanners, such as Close Call and search ranges, it is a competent scanner for monitoring active systems in the area.

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
Is the iPhone block a good choice, or do you have one you would recommend for USB adapter?

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
Mine will be for home use only

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Mine will be for home use only

I have several different styles of adapters, including one like this:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00VH8ZW02?psc=1
There are other choices, including a couple sold under Amazon's brand.

I also have one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ATZJ5YS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Since I have several tablets, and my iPhone, that may need charging at one point or another, one of the adapters with more than one port works best for me. I have two 436HP's, a BCD325P2, and an HP-2, which also utilize USB power.

If you have one of the 'power banks', sold to allow charging of your phone, tablet, or iPad when there is no power (one example: https://smile.amazon.com/Anker-High...ble-External/dp/B00N2T7U90/ref=dp_ob_title_ce), you can power a scanner, without using a wall wart or the internal batteries, for a day or more. That depends on the capacity of the portable charger, and on the level of activity the scanner is catching. the higher capacity, multi-port adapters, like the example above, lets me charge various combinations of devices, including the portable chargers, at one time.

Here in the DFW Metro area, my 436HP will run 5-6 hours, with high capacity Eneloops installed. But when I visit friends out in a rural area 110 miles or so to the west, the same scanner and batteries will last pretty much all day, 8-10 hours or more, since there is afr less radio activity to be heard.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I just power my HP-2 off the computer USB. It is already connected for updates anyway. I keep batteries in it to operate the record/playback features and in case of power outages, and occasionally swap out the batteries for a freshly charged set. I do not charge in the radio.

The HP-2 is my favorite scanner. If I could only have one scanner this would be it. Great touch display and easy to operate.

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
So basically the batteries are just for being mobile, or the replay feature, so if i have it plugged into the wall, its not using the batteries? Am i correct? Or not using them very much?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
So basically the batteries are just for being mobile, or the replay feature, so if i have it plugged into the wall, its not using the batteries? Am i correct? Or not using them very much?
As long as you have a good adapter connected to it, the batteries are not used at all.

Standard rechargeable batteries will discharge themselves over time even if not used, The low self discharge type (LSD), such as Eneloops, retain most of their charge. If fully charged, at the end of a year (assuming, of course, a good battery) the LSD battery will have more than 50% of the initial charge left.

Yes, the batteries, even though not being actively used, keep the replay options available. They also give you some leeway to unplug the scanner from the adapter, then move it to another room, or your vehicle, and reconnecting there, without having the interruption cause the SD card to be corrupted.

Status
Not open for further replies.