HP-2: HP 2 reception problem after moving

hub95

I have a HP2 scanner I moved it to another area of the house When I plugged it back in It scans but the department and the channel have small squares that go around in a circle in the center of both its been silent since i moved it any ideas Thanks Chuck

10-43

Premium Subscriber
Plugged it back in? It runs on batteries unless you use a USB power cable only, and or charge batteries in the scanner. What were you using for an antenna? Is the antenna still attached? Will it receive any one of the NOAA weather channels?

The four dots rotating is what it will always do when it is scanning.

hub95

Does it work properly if you move it back to its original location?
no
Plugged it back in? It runs on batteries unless you use a USB power cable only, and or charge batteries in the scanner. What were you using for an antenna? Is the antenna still attached? Will it receive any one of the NOAA weather channels?

The four dots rotating is what it will always do when it is scanning.
I plug it in for power . As for the attenna its the same one that I got with it I dont use NOAA weather channels

RMason

Premium Subscriber
I called Uniden and they think its the speaker
If the squares never stop rotating, it is always scanning. That would not be the speaker.

I believe you accidentally changed a setting when you unplugged it to move it.

Check to make sure the squelch is set near 2.

Do you see any lock icons on the screen?

Did you turn the scanner off before unplugging it?

RMason

Premium Subscriber
You may want to look at these ideas from the Troubleshooting section of the HP2 Owners Manual:

My HomePatrol-II won’t stop on any channels.Check for Avoided channels. Adjust antenna.
Adjust Range.
Adjust Squelch.
Adjust Atten.
Move the unit to a different location.
HomePatrol-II stops on a channel but I can’t hear anything.Verify that MUTE is not on. Check the volume.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
If your running it from USB power only without battery's in it and you unplug it, It might have currupted the SD card...
I would reformat the card then reload it and see what happens...

RichM

If you don’t power down using the touch screen it will corrupt the SD card. I have seen this happen more than once. Sometimes the card is so corrupted it can’t be reformatted either in which case you will need a new card, they are not expensive. Use the card reader on your computer to reformat and reload your RR database then reinstall. Hope this helps.

10-43

Premium Subscriber
no

I plug it in for power . As for the attenna its the same one that I got with it I dont use NOAA weather channels
Trying NOAA weather channels is a troubleshooting step to see if it can receive anything.

10-43

Premium Subscriber
Maybe the OP solved the problem and we dont have a need to know.