HP-2 USB Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

VaJimb

Looking for recommendations for a good USB to AC/DC adapter to power the HP-2.

I do have an external charger, but would like to get an adapter that would do a better job of charging the batteries than what my laptop is doing.

Thanks

AtlasFBG2

I use cell phone chargers to power my pro668 and 436hp. You can find them cheap in stores or maybe have a few laying around.

The usb port no matter what you use will give you the same results. It wont charge any faster on a ac/dc adapter than it will on your laptop. The charging is controlled by the scanner.

VaJimb

Thank you....I think I need a USB adapter that will give me a bit more length. Sitting the scanner near the laptop is fine but where I want it in another room, the wall outlet is a bit further away.

Blackswan73

I wouldn't recommend using the USB port to charge the batteries inside the radio, for reasons that has been well discussed in other threads. A $35-$50 smart charger is pretty cheap insurance for $400-$600 radio.

Last edited by a moderator:

VaJimb

I wouldn't recommend using the USB port to charge the batteries inside the , for reasons that has been well discussed in other threads. A $35-$50 smart charger is pretty cheap insurance for $400-$600 radio.

Thanks

I do have an external charger. I guess I don't understand why Uniden would build a charger in the unit. I don't mind pulling the batteries out at night for a charge. Just need to find some sort of usb power strip that will meet my range requirement.

VaJimb

Do you have to use the usb cord that came with the unit or can you use a longer usb cord as long as it has the proper connector? I noticed the one that came with the unit has some sort of an adapter built into the line.

AtlasFBG2

You dont have to use the cord that came with it. I have a couple longer generic usb cords that work fine. Its only supplying power. If you use another cord when programming the scanner there possible could be some problem with corrupt data. Doubt it but possible.

You can use a usb extension cable. Or a phone charger. To power it no problems.

VaJimb

You dont have to use the cord that came with it. I have a couple longer generic usb cords that work fine. Its only supplying power. If you use another cord when programming the scanner there possible could be some problem with corrupt data. Doubt it but possible.

You can use a usb extension cable. Or a phone charger. To power it no problems.

Thanks for all the help.

I may get me a longer usb cord and a usb adapter that I can plug into a power strip or wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.