HP-2 won’t connect to Sentinel

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZDon

Premium Subscriber
My HP-2 is giving me problems. When I turn it on I receive the error message to disconnect external power, remove the batteries and SD card. Have done all of that several times. Tried depressing the reset button located under the batteries. Reformatted the SD card, still won’t connect to Sentinel. Can’t clear user data with Sentinel if I can’t connect to it. Any suggestions? Cable is good because I can use it to connect my HP-1 to Sentinel.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
My HP-2 is giving me problems. When I turn it on I receive the error message to disconnect external power, remove the batteries and SD card. Have done all of that several times. Tried depressing the reset button located under the batteries. Reformatted the SD card, still won’t connect to Sentinel. Can’t clear user data with Sentinel if I can’t connect to it. Any suggestions? Cable is good because I can use it to connect my HP-1 to Sentinel.

If you were able to format the card without errors, try this.

With the scanner OFF...

Connect the cable to the scanner and to the computer with Sentinel running, THEN turn the scanner on.. it should go right into mass storage mode. Then use clear user data, and select "display all drives" box in the clear user data window.

If no luck with that, replace the card.

AZDon

Premium Subscriber
Didn’t replace the card...yet. Will try the above prescribed procedure, not sure I tried to connect to Sentinel in that sequence. Either way will let both of you know what happened.

AZDon

Premium Subscriber
Tried the above described sequence, didn’t work. Bought a new SD card but it failed to probably because it was a 64gb card. If memory recalls the sd card can’t be over 32gb , right?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Tried the above described sequence, didn’t work. Bought a new SD card but it failed to probably because it was a 64gb card. If memory recalls the sd card can’t be over 32gb , right?

32 is recommended, but I might be remembering that others have used more. Where in the process of clear user data on the old card and the new card did it fail? Did the scanner not go into mass storage by turning the scanner on after being connected to the computer? Did the scanner go into mass storage but the card didn't show up when you checked the "display all drives" box in the clear user data window?

AZDon

Premium Subscriber
With the old 32gb sd card in the radio the SD error message appeared after the radio was connected to the laptop. Radio did ask if I wanted to go into the charge mode then gave the SD error message. I was never able to connect to Sentinel and subsequently never able to clear user data.

Once I installed a new 64gb card I still received the SD error message, removing the power source, batteries and as card did not correct the problem.

Have a new 32 gb SD card to install, any suggestions?

AZDon

Premium Subscriber
I was never able to get into the mass storage mode with the original sad card or the 64gb cRd. Haven’t tried installing the new 32gb card yet.

AZDon

Premium Subscriber
More bad news. I installed a brand new 32gb SD card. As soon as I connect the HP 2 to Sentinel I still get the dreaded SD error message on the HP 2. I have tried two different USB ports and two different USB cables. Any suggestions?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
More bad news. I installed a brand new 32gb SD card. As soon as I connect the HP 2 to Sentinel I still get the dreaded SD error message on the HP 2. I have tried two different USB ports and two different USB cables. Any suggestions?

Keep in mind that a brand new SD card (or a newly formatted card) will not work in your scanner until you successfully use the "Clear User Data" function in Sentinel. The scanner will not recognize the card at all, and you will still get the SD card error even with a new card.

Be sure you are pushing the SD card far enough into the slot so that it locks firmly into place. Remove and re-insert the card a few times to shine up the contacts on the card and in the scanner.

Just to clarify, you are connecting the scanner to your computer with a known good USB cable with the scanner TURNED OFF before connecting the cable?

At this point, what exactly happens (step by step) when you now turn the scanner on while it's connected to your computer?

Does the screen still give the SD card error? does the screen stay on at this point with that message, or does the scanner shut itself off?

Are there any other error messages. Does anything else happen? There's no indication of mass storage on the screen?

If no sucess there, try turning on the scanner before connecting to the computer and when the SD card error comes on, plug in the USB cable to your computer while that message is showing. See if you can get the mass storage mode that way.

If still nothing, put the card in an external card reader rather than the scanner, and see if you can use the Sentinel clear user data through the card reader. (Don't forget to check the "display all drives" box during the process to find the SD card).

If that works, put the card back in the scanner and see if it boots up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.