HP verses 996T

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldsailor56

Premium Subscriber
I own the 996T and wonder if it would be wise to purchase the Home Patrol.....for all of you in Ontario who own the HP, how do you like it and what am I missing with the 996T over the HP? I'm in Kingsville, which is south of Windsor for reference.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
If you prefer to program your radio with quick keys 1=police 2=fire etc then the 996T/XT are better.

If you prefer a fancier touch screen scanner and you travel a lot (north america wide programming ready at hand) then the HP-1 maybe more handy

Mobility... the HP-1 can be held in your hand and put batteries in it for on the go.

Note the 996T does not do PATCHED talkgroups, as the newer 996XT and HP-1 do. So if 2 OPP departments are patch you need to have both (or least the one they are talking on programmed in).

The T is still a powerhouse though... long as its programmed with patched talkgroups in mind it works very well.

oldsailor56

Premium Subscriber
I do like my 996T, was just wondering how much I'm missing in my area, ie..LTR and such? I am leaning towards an HP, after reading all I can about it sounds like it could be a welcome addition to the 996.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
the 996t does get LTR standard... however the hp-1 extreme adds ltr discovery mode to find new ltr channels and fill in partially completed systems

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9300; en) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.526 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Both are great radios. As Kris mentioned the HP1 has everyrthing you would want loaded in, waiting for you to pick and customize "favourite lists". And, as Kris said the HP1 can handle multiple towers in one favourite making it a great scanner to take with u in the car and anywhere in North America.

In a perfect world with your 2 scanners I'd keep the 996 as your base and have a HP as your mobile type.

rwier

In a perfect world with your 2 scanners I'd keep the 996 as your base and have a HP as your mobile type.

Perfect answer by EJB.

I have several scanners that function remarkably well around town and at home. I consider them all to be a "first among equals". The HP-1 (E) does a Yeoman's duty at home as an analytic device. And for trips "out of town/State" the HP-1 (E or no E) changes the entire nature of the trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.