HP1 failed after 1 Hour

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc0net

Premium Subscriber
I think the Home Patrol is a fantastic radio-got one today.
However mine stopped receiving signals after about an hour.
If you take the batteries out and re-install them it works fine for 2 minutes.
I will call Scanner Master tomorrow and I hope they will send me another radio.
Does anybody have an idea what went wrong?
Thanks,
Frank

OCO

Thanks,
Frank

Frank:
Although it won't do everything (record, etc. ) a HP1 will run without the batteries in it normally, just on the A/C adapter. Take the batteries out and see if it will run. If it will the A/C adapter is OK. If it won't, the adapter is not working and the reason the radio will run for a couple of minutes is dead batteries will "bounce back" for a short run.. Just a quick test.... If the A/C adapter is bad, you can try charging it with the DC car adapter , while you're working with ScannerMaster (they're good guys, with good reputation)...

Last edited:

kc0net

Premium Subscriber
I have new charged batteries. I got it to work for 30 minutes, then it stopped receiving again. The battery meter shows full and then the signal meter goes to zero.
I will try the adapter and see if that make a difference.
Thanks,
Frank

rwier

Just to show you'll "different strokes for different folks", I have not (purposely) used any scanner on battery power for, maybe, as long as twenty or thirty years. I leave the batteries in the radio ONLY if it is required for the radio to function. Just saying!

sjlamb

I have new charged batteries. I got it to work for 30 minutes, then it stopped receiving again. The battery meter shows full and then the signal meter goes to zero.
I will try the adapter and see if that make a difference.
Thanks,
Frank

The batteries do not come fully charged (not even close). Forget about what the battery indicator meter says; it's of little actual value. Have you gone into the MENU ----> ADVANCED MENU ----> SET CHARGE TIME?? It's sounds as if you have not fully charged the batteries. A full charge for a set of 2300 mah batteries will take about 14 hours. DON'T rely on the HP-1's battery indicator. It does not give a reliable indication of the actual amount of charge remaining. It is not very likely that the unit is defective. It is more probable that you have not fully charged the batteries prior to use. Charge them boogers for a full 14 hours and then give it a go. You should get about 7-8 hours of run time give or take.

Last edited:

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Thanks,
Frank

Did you try it with the AC adapter to see if it looses receive or are you saying that removing the batteries is the only way to get it to reset and get the HP to start receiving?

The batteries should still need a charge out of the box, but it sounds like an actual radio problem.

Last edited:

kc0net

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to all.
Even running the unit on AC adapter it still does the same thing. Also, I updated the radio off the website.
I noticed that the scanning slows to a crawl and it stops receiving.
I left on the weather channel and it stopped working, said it could not receive a signal.
Called Scanner Master and they are not in today.
I really think it is broken.
Frank

sjlamb

At this point, sadly, I would have to agree.:( . The only other thought is to make sure that you're not set to scan the entire database. That would certainly take forever to go through a scan cycle and would be silent most of the way through the database?

Last edited:

sjlamb

I left on the weather channel and it stopped working, said it could not receive a signal.
Frank

Not sure what you mean by "said it could not receive a signal". Said how?? How far are you from the closest NOAA weather station? Did you go into the Weather Menu and scroll to the closest NOAA Station. There are about a half dozen different ones.

Last edited:

OCO

Thanks to all.
Even running the unit on AC adapter it still does the same thing. Also, I updated the radio off the website.
I noticed that the scanning slows to a crawl and it stops receiving.
Called Scanner Master and they are not in today.
I really think it is broken.
Frank

Frank - if that was without batteries, I also agree that it's probably sick:(

The only other thought is to make sure that you're not set to scan the entire database. That would certainly take forever to go through a scan cycle and would be silent most of the way through the database?

If all that was selected was the full database, it would not scan the all of it, but rather it will then be based on current location, services and range. (which can be large, but should contain lots of active frequencies..)

kc0net

Premium Subscriber
I am 6 miles from the WX 162.55, very stong signal.
By the way the radio is way cool. I look forward to getting a new one.
When I got the box it looked like a re-pack.
Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.