HP1 frequency entry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tramagod

Short answer, no, you can only add frequencies from the RR database which is loaded in the Home Patrol. It's my understanding that you can add frequencies if you have the Extreme upgrade, but I don't know that for sure as I don't have that upgrade.

ST-Bob

Premium Subscriber
With the current firmware and version of HomePatrol Sentinel, you can add frequencies through Sentinel by creating a new favorites list and putting in your new (unknown by radioreference) frequencies into that favorites list. You can then scan both the full database and one or more favorites.

You cannot, however, add new frequencies from the scanner itself unless you have the paid extreme upgrade.

rwier

..............................You cannot, however, add new frequencies from the scanner itself unless you have the paid extreme upgrade.

True, but I tested it today, and it is one frequency at a time (unless I am missing something). After you enter it you are basically scanning a single frequency. No fun for me. Like watching grass grow, while wondering what's going on outside in the "big city", lol. Seems like this was a big "I want" from HP-1 complainers, but this feature has little use for me.

ST-Bob

Premium Subscriber
With the standard HP-1 you can add one frequency to test if there's traffic on it but you cannot save it or use this frequency while scanning. If you add the Extreme Upgrade to the unit you can create new favorites lists and edit, add, remove departments, talkgroups, channels etc. from the scanner itself.

Keep in mind that this functionality is supported on the standard edition (without the Extreme Upgrade) through the included HomePatrol Sentinel software. On your Windows PC you can do the same thing as the Extreme Upgraded scanner can do from its front panel - but it's a lot easier/quicker to do it on your computer than from the scanner's small screen anyway.

I find that the Extreme Upgrade, while a nice add-on to the HP-1, is a little used feature for me. As an early adopter I got a discount by pre-ordering but still - it's not something I use a lot. With its huge database derived from RadioReference's user-contributed database, there's little you could gain from entering your own frequencies in my opinion. There will always be some frequencies that RR doesn't know about, but those occasions will likely be few and far between.

Status
Not open for further replies.