HP1 Home Patrol

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZDon

Premium Subscriber
Love my HP1 but the encrypted channels seem to be protected. I know, most of you are thinking why would you want to monitor encrypted channels? I have the extreme version of software so can anyone tell me how to by pass the protect encryption feature?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Encrypted channels cannot be received. Technically, without the encryption key, it is impossible. Legally, without explicit permission from the agency, it is unlawful.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Love my HP1 but the encrypted channels seem to be protected. I know, most of you are thinking why would you want to monitor encrypted channels? I have the extreme version of software so can anyone tell me how to by pass the protect encryption feature?

Your question is just a little vague..

Are you wishing to actually de-code the encryption, or are you just wanting to hear the raw encryption noise?

JamesO

I know some people like to include the encrypted channels/TG in their scan list because at times users either forget to enable their encryption, need to turn it off because of issues or some channels/TG share both encrypted and non encrypted comms.

Not sure how the scanner determines encryption is enabled? Maybe there is a flag in the P25 data stream?

FEATURE REQUEST

A nice feature would be an Auto Resume (maybe with a user adjustable time) on Encryption so the scanner can continue scanning rather than staying stopped on an encrypted conversation until it has ended.

lep

Encrypted or not, in a trunked system the TG requires a channel grant from the controller. By looking at the TGID grants in the activity log of an HP1 Extreme edition one can determine a good deal about the agency organization without ever knowing the content of the communication. This is the tried and true application of what, when I worked for a government agency years ago, was known as Traffic Analysis.
Of course we used to generate "Dummy Traffic" in an attempt to defeat those employing this technique
but I never heard of a Civilian Law Enforcement Agency doing that!

AZDon

Premium Subscriber
HP-1 encryption monitoring

First of all I am not trying to decode the encryption, an attempt to do so is a federal felony. I am just trying to find a way to determine when an encrypted message is being transmitted. Have heard that there is a way to monitor encrypted signals with the HP-1. This is not a big deal, other scanners do it, why not the HP-1?

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
Encryption

It seems to be a dead horse we are beating here. The new Unidens won't allow you to stop on encryption either. I just want to view the conventional and trunked P25 ID's. It seems to be a simple matter of offering a check mark in the software to allow the radio to stop on encryption or not. They could even default to the check mark being to pass encryption and let us uncheck it.

Of course if you don't set up the conventional P25 channel as a single channel P25 trunked system you won't see radio ID's anyhow. Another dead horse.

First of all I am not trying to decode the encryption, an attempt to do so is a federal felony. I am just trying to find a way to determine when an encrypted message is being transmitted. Have heard that there is a way to monitor encrypted signals with the HP-1. This is not a big deal, other scanners do it, why not the HP-1?

lep

In the HP-1 just create a Favorites List for the channels of interest, Change the MOD type to show the channel is NOT encrypted. The HP-1 only knows what it is told, if the data tells the scanner the channel is a normal channel, it will stop on it, then it will realize it can't decode the channel and move on. The Uniden 'mirror' of rr.com data will not download a channel that the database says is ENC, so you can fool it in your customized FL. No, it won't aide in de-crypting the content but it will "log" the channel for Traffic analysis. I do it all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.