HP1, how to discover new channels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baskt_Case

HP1, how to discover new channels, without "Extreme".

Note, I am not using the "Extreme" upgrade on my HP1.

I believe our PD is using some new equipment and the frequencies are not in the RR database. How can I do some snooping with my HP1 and possibly discover what frequencies they are using? Can I setup my HP1 to do this using the Sentinel software?

Last edited:

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I don't recall if Discovery Mode is in the Extreme feature set - I think it is.

There are two other solutions.

One - if you think you know the frequency, you can use Direct Frequency Entry from the screen on the HP1 to tune in that frequency and listen.

Two - You could create a custom favorites file in Sentinel with the frequency (or frequencies) you think they're using, and enable that favorites list in the scanner after you upload it. However, you're going to need to know what frequencies you want to try out. There's no real easy way to do a "search" with the HP1 except in Discovery mode. (You could do it the extremely hard way by creating a favorites list with every possible frequency in the band in it, but that would be ridiculously tedious to make.)

Baskt_Case

Jay, Discovery Mode is indeed in the Extreme options.

To achieve the desired result here, I may have to use your suggestion of a rediculously long frequency list in Sentinel.

I need to play with Sentinel some more, hopefully there is some way to automate this process, if at least a little bit. Direct frequency entry works ok, but still extremely tedious.

EDIT: Researching 3rd party software. Looks possible that other software may be able to automatically "build" me a list that forces a scan of a designated range.

Last edited:

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Jay, Discovery Mode is indeed in the Extreme options.

To achieve the desired result here, I may have to use your suggestion of a rediculously long frequency list in Sentinel.

I need to play with Sentinel some more, hopefully there is some way to automate this process, if at least a little bit. Direct frequency entry works ok, but still extremely tedious.

EDIT: Researching 3rd party software. Looks possible that other software may be able to automatically "build" me a list that forces a scan of a designated range.

If you want to make a "scan list" of a range, for entry into a Favorites list, open up Excel and type in the lowest frequency into say cell A1, then in A2 type in a formula like:

=A1+.0125

or whatever the proper step is for the band you're wanting to search.

Copy cell A2 into A3 thru Awhatever-you-want, then copy cells A1 to Awhatever-you-want into the Favorites List Editor in a new favorites list/system/department. So long as you have one blank channel to paste into, the Favorites List Editor will expand the channels to fit however many you need. Just make sure you're in the actual Favorites List Editor and not just Sentinel. (Hit Ctrl+2 when you're in Sentinel, to enter the Favorites List Editor.)

You'll probably want to paste your frequencies into both the Frequency and Channel Name fields. That way, you'll know what frequency you hit on if you get one.

If you have no choice but to do a search this way, that's the best way to put it together. Far better than typing it in manually into either Sentinel (the FLE) or the scanner itself.

Baskt_Case

If you want to make a "scan list" of a range, for entry into a Favorites list, open up Excel and type in the lowest frequency into say cell A1, then in A2 type in a formula like:

=A1+.0125

or whatever the proper step is for the band you're wanting to search.

Copy cell A2 into A3 thru Awhatever-you-want, then copy cells A1 to Awhatever-you-want into the Favorites List Editor in a new favorites list/system/department. So long as you have one blank channel to paste into, the Favorites List Editor will expand the channels to fit however many you need. Just make sure you're in the actual Favorites List Editor and not just Sentinel. (Hit Ctrl+2 when you're in Sentinel, to enter the Favorites List Editor.)

You'll probably want to paste your frequencies into both the Frequency and Channel Name fields. That way, you'll know what frequency you hit on if you get one.

If you have no choice but to do a search this way, that's the best way to put it together. Far better than typing it in manually into either Sentinel (the FLE) or the scanner itself.

Awesome man. Forgot about Excel and formulas. Had not tried to just paste anything into the FLE. If this works, it would actually be a fairly fast and inexspensive way around Extreme mode. Will hopefully get to play with this later tomorrow.

Thanks for helping me brainstorm on this.

OCO

If this works, it would actually be a fairly fast and inexspensive way around Extreme mode.
Jay's come up with a nice way for you to do a range search, but believe me if you compared it to the output from Discovery mode in the Extreme version, you'd never go back.......:D

BTW- remember to turn Record on when you're doing your range search, it'll create a session with a separate file for each "hit" .. You can play the session back and it'll not only play the audio (which will give you clues to what you've hit) but display the frequency that it stopped on too. Makes it easier than having to sit and try to catch things in real time..

t_shuffle

I've not received my mine yet, but If I'm reading this right, I've got to spend another $100 to simply scan a frequency range?

Baskt_Case

Yes, it does, and thankyou for the link. However, I am needing to drill down ranges not covered in those few files.

I've not received my mine yet, but If I'm reading this right, I've got to spend another $100 to simply scan a frequency range?

Well, thats what I'm trying to address here. In short, yes, from Unidens standpoint. But I think a hobbyist willing to invest a little time can accomplish the same thing.

t_shuffle

Well, thats what I'm trying to address here. In short, yes, from Unidens standpoint. But I think a hobbyist willing to invest a little time can accomplish the same thing.

I hope so, and hope we can do it on the go (no computer). I find it really hard to believe that something as basic and standard as being able to set a search range can only be unlocked with a c-note.

rwier

It might make everyone feel a little better if they could visualize the same price/feature options in a reverse manner.

Let's pretend Uniden sold the complete HP-1(E) right from the start for $600 USD, but just called it HP-1. Then 6 months or so later Uniden contacts all purchasers with the following message:
Dear Uniden Customer, we have decided to offer a refund of $100 USD in exchange for the disabling of the following features (followed by a list of the present Extreme features). Your altered radio will be called HP-1(Lite). This offer will be good for only 30 days, after which the refund will be lowered to $50 USD.
________________________________________________________________________________
What percent of those customers do you think would go for either offer? I would guess not as many as have complained about the present price/feature options. In other words, a very small portion indeed.

Last edited:

rwier

It might make everyone feel a little better if they could visualize the same price/feature options in a reverse manner.

Let's pretend Uniden sold the complete HP-1(E) right from the start for $600 USD, but just called it HP-1. Then 6 months or so later Uniden contacts all purchasers with the following message:
Dear Uniden Customer, we have decided to offer a refund of $100 USD in exchange for the disabling of the following features (followed by a list of the present Extreme features). Your altered radio will be called HP-1(Lite). This offer will be good for only 30 days, after which the refund will be lowered to $50 USD.
________________________________________________________________________________
What percent of those customers do you think would go for either offer? I would guess not as many as have complained about the present price/feature options. In other words, a very small portion indeed.

Ouch, I meant this for the "Rant Thread", lol, oops!

cg

Premium Subscriber
I had tried to use the HP-1 to set up multiple search ranges by creating lists of every frequency in a range. Unfortunately, all I got was adjacent channel noise because it would stop on the first channel with a signal and that would be the 7.5 or 12.5 KHz begore the target frequency. Perhaps you will have better luck but that is my experience.

chris

Baskt_Case

I had tried to use the HP-1 to set up multiple search ranges by creating lists of every frequency in a range. Unfortunately, all I got was adjacent channel noise because it would stop on the first channel with a signal and that would be the 7.5 or 12.5 KHz begore the target frequency. Perhaps you will have better luck but that is my experience.

chris

Curious, did you specify NFM, FM, or Auto for the frequencies when you put them into the list?

You could also try turning on the Attenuator.

Status
Not open for further replies.