HP1 or other model for AIR/ MIL AIR ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobW55

I have a second HP1 that I was thinking about using for AIR and MILAIR ONLY.
I have a discone up about 35'.
If given the choice, would you use the HP1, or some other scanner?
Only care about those 2 bands.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
You could try it and see how reception is. But everything I have read points to analog scanners for better reception. I have a SDS200 but chose to get a BCT15X, analog only, to scan the air bands while my SDS200 scans the digital side, P25.

BobW55

You could try it and see how reception is. But everything I have read points to analog scanners for better reception. I have a SDS200 but chose to get a BCT15X, analog only, to scan the air bands while my SDS200 scans the digital side, P25.
I have my SDS200 scanning those bands now, only so I can have proscan log what frequencies are active. I have 2 HP1's just debating if I should use one of those for Air/MilAir, or get a analog only scanner for those bands.

mule1075

Feed Provider
I have my SDS200 scanning those bands now, only so I can have proscan log what frequencies are active. I have 2 HP1's just debating if I should use one of those for Air/MilAir, or get a analog only scanner for those bands.
I would go with a 15x if you are only interested in those bands.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Do a test between the two and see which performs better. Any way you can hook both up to the discone at same time and watch? Once my stridsberg multiport comes in, I plan on testing the SDS200 against the BCT15X to see for my self.

BobW55

Do a test between the two and see which performs better. Any way you can hook both up to the discone at same time and watch? Once my stridsberg multiport comes in, I plan on testing the SDS200 against the BCT15X to see for my self.
I have both running now. I have a Stridsberg going to the SDS200 and both HP1's When conditions are good I can receive Selfridge ANG base about 40 miles away on my discone. Only have enough slack in the cable to go up maybe 5' more, not going to really help.
Never know may be an analog unit out there with a better airband receive

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
If you acquire an analog scanner, such as a BCT15X, you can create another instance of ProScan on your PC so that you can log the analog scanner as well. While the HP-1's would work on your airband frequencies, you would not have the same logging option available that could b done with the 15X or similar Uniden scanner.

BobW55

If you acquire an analog scanner, such as a BCT15X, you can create another instance of ProScan on your PC so that you can log the analog scanner as well. While the HP-1's would work on your airband frequencies, you would not have the same logging option available that could b done with the 15X or similar Uniden scanner.
Funny you should say that.... looking at the BCT15X as we speak. Have to find one of those funky USB 1 cables.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Funny you should say that.... looking at the BCT15X as we speak. Have to find one of those funky USB 1 cables.
If you have a serial port available, either on the PC, or by using a USB to Serial converter, you can use the serial port on the back of the scaner instead of using the USB-1 cable. While you can't do firmware updates, unless you use the USB-1 or similar, you can program & connect the scanner via the rear panel serial port.
Connecting scanners via USB - The RadioReference Wiki

BobW55

If you have a serial port available, either on the PC, or by using a USB to Serial converter, you can use the serial port on the back of the scaner instead of using the USB-1 cable. While you can't do firmware updates, unless you use the USB-1 or similar, you can program & connect the scanner via the rear panel serial port.
Connecting scanners via USB - The RadioReference Wiki
Good to know..... I have one of those funky cables somewhere around here. Just found the other USB2 for my HP1.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Do NOT buy this cable from HRO or other places. It does not work. Been in contact with HRO with pictures and determined it won't work.

A serial cable ships in the box of the BCT15X. There is no other reference to a USB cable in the online manual. I did a search and think I found the right cable. The end matches the serial cable end. I'll have it in a couple days to test it out so hold off if you can.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
Don't forget, both civilian and military analog communications are line-of-sight communications. If your antenna cannot "see" the transmitting antenna, you won't hear it.

I can hear aircraft 100 miles away, but can't hear the tower 5 miles away because I am at the bottom of a 100' high mesa that the airport is on top of.

If I go to the top of the hill, no problem.

BobW55

Don't forget, both civilian and military analog communications are line-of-sight communications. If your antenna cannot "see" the transmitting antenna, you won't hear it.

I can hear aircraft 100 miles away, but can't hear the tower 5 miles away because I am at the bottom of a 100' high mesa that the airport is on top of.

If I go to the top of the hill, no problem.
Well aware of this. Pretty much hearing what I want. May see about jacking my tower up 20' more, I am just too distant to expect to hear ground and tower units all the time.

scannersnstuff

I have a bc898t scanning vhf/uhf air. I would use my bct-15,but it's currently "slaved" to trunktracking my county. The sensitivity,and amount of channel's,make it pretty good for air. My antenna option's are extremely limited. It sit's near my window,with an indoor mounted mag mount antenna. It's basically line of sight with my local airport.

Last edited:

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
FYI…put a 996p2 in the arsenal with plans to dump a 355N that’s my local air scanner!…that idea didn’t work! 996P2 not so bueno on civilian air!

Status
Not open for further replies.