HP1 or Pro 106...or what? suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lzqwhr

In past I have had a Pro94 and Pro95, and have no problems manually programming them. Currently I dont have a scanner and looking for one. I am in Lapeer, MI. Was looking at the Uniden HP1 or maybe a Pro 106. Any pros n cons? Does the HP1 have details for the different talkgroups so I know who is who? Thanks.

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
In past I have had a Pro94 and Pro95, and have no problems manually programming them. Currently I dont have a scanner and looking for one. I am in Lapeer, MI. Was looking at the Uniden HP1 or maybe a Pro 106. Any pros n cons? Does the HP1 have details for the different talkgroups so I know who is who? Thanks.
The HP-1, as well as it's P25 Phase II sibling, has a LOT more information on the screen than any other scanner. You are seeing, instead of a 12 to 16 character 'channel name', for your county, MLRH Sec., instead you see what is in the channel description field in the database: Hospital Security.

While the Pro-106 would work for your area, that scanner was produced by the now defunct GRE for sale in RadioShack stores, and has been out of production several years. As RadioShack appears to no longer support their scanners, even the ones they currently sell in stores (if you can find one), service support on the 106 could be problematic. However, if you prefer that handheld design (of the Pro-106), the current model equivalent is the Whistler WS1040. The Pro-651 is made by Whistler for RadioShack, but again, the Shack is not supporting what they sell. Comments posted by others include the notes that while the paperwork on the newer scanners shows a one year warranty, in store signage cuts that to, I believe, 90 days at the most.

The HP-1 is not a true handheld scanner, in that it does not come with a belt clip. But it does run on batteries, or with the ac, or dc, adapter that comes with it, so it can be used in a vehicle, or easily moved about the house. You can also tweak the text tags for the channels if desired, using the Sentinel software.

Status
Not open for further replies.