HP-2: HP2 and Powhatan County VA programming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

345binder

Something I am missing. When Powhatan converted to their new system, I confirmed the radio was current, updated the data base and all was well. Additional channels/talk groups were located and the RR database was again updated. With a new/recent update, I appear to not be receiving any of the new channels.(new, old or updated), When I updated the database, and if you look, the new channels are in a listing of their own in the drop down. If you first look at the RR site state/county listing, the new channels are not shown on the county listing but on a new page for the P25 system which is a new Harris system. I tried making a custom search group with the new system channels, although they are listed and saved, they are not coming up in the radio itself with a search on the county group or the custom search. I tried on/off Attenuation, expanded and contracted the distance setting, changed antennas, both outside and inside. I do not have the additional features update.
What am I missing? They are shown in the update download but where are they in the radio, if they get there upon saving to the radio.
Additionally, my SHP reception has dwindled to almost nothing. I suspect the coax to the outside antenna may be damaged or the antenna, but have a short mast antenna to use, and can receive western direction divisions and used to receive Tidewater easily. Previously i found some of the SHP channels were in another Service group, and reception was fine. I have not looked for the SHP channels after the last update via Sentinel.
Maybe a new SD card? Or is there something I am missing in the download procedure?
The new BCD325P2 is next.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Something I am missing. When Powhatan converted to their new system, I confirmed the radio was current, updated the data base and all was well. Additional channels/talk groups were located and the RR database was again updated. With a new/recent update, I appear to not be receiving any of the new channels.(new, old or updated), When I updated the database, and if you look, the new channels are in a listing of their own in the drop down. If you first look at the RR site state/county listing, the new channels are not shown on the county listing but on a new page for the P25 system which is a new Harris system. I tried making a custom search group with the new system channels, although they are listed and saved, they are not coming up in the radio itself with a search on the county group or the custom search. I tried on/off Attenuation, expanded and contracted the distance setting, changed antennas, both outside and inside. I do not have the additional features update.
What am I missing? They are shown in the update download but where are they in the radio, if they get there upon saving to the radio.
Additionally, my SHP reception has dwindled to almost nothing. I suspect the coax to the outside antenna may be damaged or the antenna, but have a short mast antenna to use, and can receive western direction divisions and used to receive Tidewater easily. Previously i found some of the SHP channels were in another Service group, and reception was fine. I have not looked for the SHP channels after the last update via Sentinel.
Maybe a new SD card? Or is there something I am missing in the download procedure?
The new BCD325P2 is next.
Are you scanning a Favorites list, or just using location, range, and the main database. If a Favorites list is in use, did you create it via appending from the main database, or enter it manually in Sentinel. If you entered manually, but are using location control, then you must, also, provide the location information for the sites & departments for the new P25 system.

I also see that the new system's site is labeled as Simulcast. Here's a map of the transmit site locations:
1646941570907.png
Unless you are very close (less than a mile, preferably within a quarter mile) to one of those transmitters, your scanner may struggle trying to receive the system. To help verify whether that is your problem. take your HP-2 with you & get as close as possible to one of those locations. The actual addresses can be found via the license data on the site's database page.

More on Simulcast can be found in the Wiki.
Simulcast digital distortion - The RadioReference Wiki

345binder

Went back and reviewed both the Sentinel download to the computer and my Favorites list.
Noted was the Sentinel download listed "Powhatan" as only the old channels with no P25. That may explain the normal radio scanning locations and not receiving anything.
Under Favorites, there is two "Powhatan" listed. The old channels (Powhatan) and another labeled "Powhatan County" that has the P25 channels under subheading "Simulcast". These are only the frequencies that are listed, no other information.
The radio is picking up the adjacent county Goochland.
The northern most antenna site is within 3 miles of me. This is off Rt522 at or near Michaux.
Additionally, all channel listings involving SHP were loaded on to Favorite, and so far nothing.
Goochland's Encrypted channel is being received (inaudible).
Attenuation is off.
Zip code entered is Powhatan.
Distance is maximum.
Squelch is as break point.
As i earlier stated, until the new updates from RR with talk group information was downloaded, I received fire and sheriff. (p25).
i am getting fire on the old channel, under Powhatan, but not on Powhatan County in Favorites.
I do not think it is loading the complete information for P25 reception other than the frequency in a number.

345binder

Additionally, I mistakenly downloaded the entire state, then took out all except the locales/services of interest. I did not manually enter anything.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
ID search is now on per your posting of 10 28 ????
waiting to see
Not sure who mentioned "ID Search". Nor who posted at 10 28. This thread was started at 1:38pm CT (2:28 Eastern time.)
Went back and reviewed both the Sentinel download to the computer and my Favorites list.
Noted was the Sentinel download listed "Powhatan" as only the old channels with no P25. That may explain the normal radio scanning locations and not receiving anything.
Under Favorites, there is two "Powhatan" listed. The old channels (Powhatan) and another labeled "Powhatan County" that has the P25 channels under subheading "Simulcast". These are only the frequencies that are listed, no other information.
The northern most antenna site is within 3 miles of me. This is off Rt522 at or near Michaux.
Additionally, all channel listings involving SHP were loaded on to Favorite, and so far nothing.
Goochland's Encrypted channel is being received (inaudible).
Attenuation is off.
Zip code entered is Powhatan.
Distance is maximum.
Squelch is as break point.
As i earlier stated, until the new updates from RR with talk group information was downloaded, I received fire and sheriff. (p25).
i am getting fire on the old channel, under Powhatan, but not on Powhatan County in Favorites.
I do not think it is loading the complete information for P25 reception other than the frequency in a number.

Three miles is not close enough to wash out the out of sync signals from other sites, if your main problem is simulcast.

Which antenna are you using? The one that came with the scanner, or something else; or an external antenna?

Using the original antenna (that came with the scanner), get a couple of metallic baking pans or cookie sheets. Use the original antenna, and place the pans (or sheets) in sort of a V, with the open end in the direction of that site to the north. That way, signals coming from any direction other than the north are blocked from the scanner. If that lets you receive the system, then there;s your answer- simulcast problems. You could also just take the HP-2 with you, and drive up close to that site, then see if you hear activity.
Your neighboring county, Goochland, is conventional, not on any trunked system according to what I see in the database.

For the Powhatan County listing, you should see the simulcast site, as well as the departments for Fire and the Sheriff.

From what I can see in the database, the state police (SHP) primarily use the statewide STARS trunked system. There is not a site listed for STARS in your county, nor in Goochland. According to the wiki for the state police, units in your county should be on the Richmond 1 channel. Probably the closest sites are Richmond in Chesterfield County, or the Cumberland site. Make sure you have those.

345binder

In reply to hiegtx:
Quick search on RR for “ID Search” found a very good reply with your Avitar, to an older and different post by someone else. It turned out to be main answer.
#2: An external antenna. I bought about 5 ScanAntennas from someone in Brasstown NC, along time ago.
When one goes bad from age or is damaged, I replace it. This last is about 24 feet up. Although I am suspecting an antenna/coax problem currently.
#3. Goochland is within 7 miles from me, their antenna. I used this as a reference for affirmation of any reception, squelch setting.
#4. I have all the VSTARS channels installed. Again I suspect antenna/coax issues on the highest antenna. The smaller dipole being used for tests, from I think RS, is old, but was a used attic install, I am using now.

RESOLUTION: Once I set ID Search to yes/on in Favorites, as your old post suggested, I then set it only for Powhatan scan and 3-4 bars on squelch. I noticed the radio would then randomly hang on a channel, with data shown, but no audio.
This was new. I then incrementally reduced squelch to no bars and full reception began. I also noticed a 90 degree fitting on the radio antenna out, to the coax, would increase reception when touched/held. This was replaced and reception further increased. I am searching now for a Scanverter preamp I had, another buy from Brasstown, to see if it makes a difference, in particular VSTAR. Powhatan is being received county wide. Except early this morning. Fire conventional dispatch was being received, on another radio, where Harris digital on the HP2 was not. This healed itself as temperatures rose. The unit is inside at all times. Again, looking at the antenna/coax.
I would think that an interior duck antenna would still receive this close to the Michaux tower location.
In summation, the ID Search change was the key for any reception. The antennas, after this winter and recent winds, are suspect, for additional issues.
As I write this, fire conventional is solid. HP2 is late or delayed in receiving or detection. (Not the normal simulcast delay.) it just does not hit all the time.
I know, I know. An SDS 100/200 would be a cure all, but maybe later. Right now a BCD325P2 is slated for programming for the wife’s car. The BC125AT has no Powhatan now. (There is a whip installed.)

Thank you for the help and interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.