HP2 impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

cistercian

I have resisted getting a trunking scanner for years.The local PD here has a system I could listen to in analog no sweat just by entering all the channels and ignoring the data channel.But over time I was hearing less and less as more agency's moved away from analog.I got the HP2 and entered my zip code....holy cow this thing rocks! It is exactly what I wanted.
I copied the contents of the sd card into a folder and copied the files onto a 8 gig class 10 sandisk card and put the card in the scanner...and stashed the original sd card in a safe place.I also updated the db and firmware.Easy peezy.For knowing whats going on this scanner is wonderful.VHF mid band is not very good however...but it does not impact my intended use which is fire/emt/police scanning.
I have some truly excellent VHF mid band receivers like my Pro-2006,Icom 8500, Icom R100 etc.My Icom R6 is also excellent.For air/trains I think the HP2 would be poor....but my other scanners and receivers are great for that so no problem!As it sits this radio is a spectacular upgrade to my sigint hobby.I like that it uses AA NIMH cells since I use them like crazy and have a maha c9000 charger.I threw the chinese cells away and stuffed in eneloop pros.

So...to sum up...excellent police/fire/emt scanner...but VHF needs work.

Easy entry into the world of trunking to say the least.Just buckets of fun and the excellent front panel information really adds to the experience.

I will probably get another trunking/digital scanner soon...but not until I can find a mature design with DMR etc....no rush.Look how long it took for me to get a digital scanner!

This is my first post here...I am glad to be a member and look forward to meeting the gang.Thank you!

rwier

Welcome! What a magnificent 1st post!!!

Personally, I believe if you embrace and conquer the Favorite List options, your scanning pleasure will increase exponentially.

cistercian

Welcome! What a magnificent 1st post!!!

Personally, I believe if you embrace and conquer the Favorite List options, your scanning pleasure will increase exponentially.

I agree.But I have found so much activity it will take some time to compile!!!
I will say just parking on my city system last night night kept me up until 3 am with epic friday/raining action.
Amazing radio...and the audio is quite good for such a small rig!The plug and play aspect is compelling...what a cool new experience!!!

cistercian

I ordered a high endurance 32gb card (sandisk) and formatted it and put it in the scanner.It works great...and hopefully will last a long time.I really like sandisk sd cards and have had zero trouble with them.I could not find a 8gb sandisk.....32gb was the smallest I could get.At 17 bucks I bought 2.
The radio continues to entertain immensely....I really like the system/group/channel direct access.

Putting avoids on what I don't want to monitor is ridiculously easy! I was surprised to hear some low band vhf come in very well with the stock antenna...not bad.So far so good!

Status
Not open for further replies.