HP-2: HP2 - missing the VHF low 2 bands?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd0fx

Premium Subscriber
Is the HP2 really missing 54-108mhz? The 436HP specs say it gets these freqs; I'd read somewhere on here that the internals of the HP@ and 436 were the same. True story?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Is the HP2 really missing 54-108mhz? The 436HP specs say it gets these freqs; I'd read somewhere on here that the internals of the HP@ and 436 were the same. True story?
No 54 to 108MHz coverage. The same frequencies are not covered in the HP-1 either.

The "same" internals between the HP-2 & 436HP refers to the digital vocoder, not all of the same components. The 'same' comment was in a thread comment about whether the HP-2 had the same digital internals that would support a possible DMR & ProVoice upgrade, as has been done on the 436HP as well as other Uniden scanners.

Nothing has been announced whether the same upgrade will become available for the HP-2 at some unspecified future date.

kd0fx

Premium Subscriber
Shoot.
That seems like a pretty wide swath of spectrum to miss out on.

RBMTS

Aside from the FM Broadcast band (which I wouldn't want to listen to with a scanner), what do you think you're losing out on?

kd0fx

Premium Subscriber
Who knows? I mean, probably no public service but sometimes you find something interesting in the strangest places.

marksmith

Some very intermittent military is all that is there except for the FM broadcast band. Unless you are going to dedicate a scanner to listening only to 50-80, you will probably never catch those mobile simplex transmissions.

Mark
536/436/WS1095/HP1/HP2/996T/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800/15X/others

Valeriy

In the range 50-80 MHz the 436 is less sensitive than other scanners, either in search mode and in close call capture.
I often carry both my BCD436HP and my BC125XLT when I'm out and about, and the 436 never captures frequencies in the 70-80 MHz range when the 125 has a close call hit in that range, with just one exception until today (the local firefighters channel, with two of their trucks at less than 50 yards).
However I guess the issue is due more to a firmware bug rather than to a less sensitive hardware.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Shoot.
That seems like a pretty wide swath of spectrum to miss out on.

Some point to point radio links there, usually in the 72MHz range. California Highway Patrol uses them to connect remote sites. My local county uses them also for inter-site linking. You won't hear anything on them that you wouldn't hear from the site directly, except it'll have a 2175hz pilot tone superimposed over the top.

Some old wireless microphones use that range.

Some remote control/telemetry, etc. but just noise....

I've got a fully open receiver at one of my high sites and I can search that area, other than the above mentioned stuff, not much there, and I wouldn't spend money on a receiver that works there, unless you were really bored.

You ain't missing much.

Ubbe

The VHF-low is used a lot here as well but I imported a HP-1 anyhow and I have never regret it.
A colour touch display and excellent audio together with a good receiver makes this my favorite scanner
and is a joy to use.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.