HP-2: HP2 & P25 Simulcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
I recently purchased the Homepatrol 2 and experiencing distortion receiving Apco P25 TDMA broadcasts.

The best way to describe it is, choppy transmissions like every other word.

I changed the antenna and changed the location around the house. No difference.

Anyone else experiencing the same?

Phelanhome

Feed Provider
P25/simulcast

Simulcast can be a challenge at times depending on your location and the location of the broadcasting towers. I have a BCD536 located at my job that is about 1/2 a mile away from one of four towers. This scanner comes in perfect. I have another 536 at home which is located between two towers. The distance between the two towers and my house is almost the same. The important word here is ALMOST. One tower is less than a 1/4 mile different in distance. I have spent 100's of dollars on different antennas and cables trying to get it perfect at my house. I have moved the antennas all over my house and outside.I have even tried different scanners (996P2). The 996 has even more issues with simulcast than the 536. I have read every article in RR about simulcast and have tried all. My last step is to sell my house and move closer to one of the towers. (if my wife lets me)

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
I also have x36HP's which I failed to mention work flawlessly, as I compare my new Homepatrol 2 to there standards.

The HP2 seems to be less sensitive in longer distant signals. I can except that. It is the simulcast dance with the HP2 thats intriguing.

Deleted previous comment regarding removal of towers from Sentinel. Confused systems. Thanks phask.

Last edited:

phask

Premium Subscriber
Not just bad info., but impossible to do info.

How do you eliminate "one tower"? A simulcast system has ONE entry for all the sites as they all are on the same frequency.

Phelanhome, let me share a tid bit regarding your situation with towers. I was once told if that particular problem which you're experiencing occurs, stuck between two towers, you should go into Sentinel and try eliminating one or the other tower. See if reception changes, if not vice versa and see what happens. It worked for me. Just a thought!

ing.

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
Not just bad info., but impossible to do info.

How do you eliminate "one tower"? A simulcast system has ONE entry for all the sites as they all are on the same frequency.

Your absolutely wright! Confused systems, eliminated tower or towers on NJSP Motorola Type II SmartZone Omnilink System.

Sorry.

marksmith

The only way to eliminate one tower is with directional antennas, which does not always work if there is not a significant directional difference with towers or signal strength is too strong to eliminate.

Attenuation, along with directional antenna, can also be a partial solution.

As one responder already indicated, the only foolproof way to defeat simulcast distortion is "moving".

I have several systems around me that come in with 5 bars that I cannot monitor from home. But if I drive a mile down the road, comes in fine, because at home I am right between two towers. So I monitor that system when I am mobile, and hear it fine. When I get home, it basically disappears.

Mark
536/436/WS1095/HP1/HP2/996T/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800/15X/others

tsmooth

Simulcast can be a challenge at times depending on your location and the location of the broadcasting towers. I have a BCD536 located at my job that is about 1/2 a mile away from one of four towers. This scanner comes in perfect. I have another 536 at home which is located between two towers. The distance between the two towers and my house is almost the same. The important word here is ALMOST. One tower is less than a 1/4 mile different in distance. I have spent 100's of dollars on different antennas and cables trying to get it perfect at my house. I have moved the antennas all over my house and outside.I have even tried different scanners (996P2). The 996 has even more issues with simulcast than the 536. I have read every article in RR about simulcast and have tried all. My last step is to sell my house and move closer to one of the towers. (if my wife lets me)
Lol

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.