HPD system info?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wh6diq

Aloha,

Just received an SDS200, pre-programmed from Scannermaster with the EDACS networked 851-853 mhz standard system (and other systems) from the database for Honolulu, has Pro-voice upgrade activated. Not hearing anything from HPD, HFD, EMS with the set mounted standard antenna (from 4th floor Makiki apartment). Other systems/areas received ok. On PACMERS I'm hearing Schofield, Kaleloa, Shafter, etc. I just ordered a mobile mag mount wide band antenna, but at the moment I'm not feeling confident about that/ Any suggestions/comments?

Mahalo!

wh6diq

Aloha,

Not sure what happened, I replied with attachment Sunday, but it went to moderator and disappeared...will try it again here.

mahalo

Attachments

• Honolulu HI Area.zip
    2.6 KB · Views: 12

wh6diq

In the meantime...on further digging, I suspect Honolulu completed their upgrade to the P2 system, but freqs and info have not been updated to the database. I may try to input what I can, then see if I can "discover" enough to get operational. However, I have not seen anything clearly detailing this process, either Uniden or Sentinel. I am off Wednesday and will give it a try.

Digger

In the meantime...on further digging, I suspect Honolulu completed their upgrade to the P2 system, but freqs and info have not been updated to the database. I may try to input what I can, then see if I can "discover" enough to get operational. However, I have not seen anything clearly detailing this process, either Uniden or Sentinel. I am off Wednesday and will give it a try.
Not much to update. They have not gone live with the new system yet, they are still in the testing phase. The more they test the more that goes encrypted. First police, then fire and now even ocean safety is testing in encrypted mode. Not looking good for the hobbyist in HI.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I don't see anything wrong with the programming. On your scanner, press the squelch knob to enter the menu. Set Scan Selection should be highlighted. Press E. Scroll down to Select Lists to Monitor. Press E. Scroll down to Honolulu HI Area. It should be On. If Off, press E to turn On. Press AVOID to exit menus. In your profile, when you write to the scanner, Download and Monitor have to be On for each favorites list. If Download is Off, the list will not be sent to the scanner. If Monitor is Off, the list is locked out.

Last edited:

wh6diq

Thanks, but it is running the list ok, just not hearing anything from the HPD system. I know that about two months ago I was able to pick up some HPD traffic using an SDR thumbdrive and SDR# software...I was just not able to follow the trunking with that setup. There was also a Waikiki HPD feed on broadcastify, but that has just recently disappeared as well, replaced with only an amateur radio feed.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Did the scanner work when you first received it. I assume that you read the scanner into Sentinel since you have the favorites list. Did you write to the scanner since you received it? There may be a problem with the service types. Press the squelch knob to enter the menu. Scroll down to Select Service Types. Press E. The following Service Types should be On: Emergency Ops, EMS Dispatch, EMS Tac, EMS Talk, Fire Dispatch, Fire Tac, Fire Talk, Hospital, Interop, Law Dispatch, Law Tac, Law Talk, Multi-Dispatch, Multi-Tac, Multi-Talk, and Custom 1. Press AVOID to exit the menu. Please let me know what you saw.

wh6diq

The scanner "works" fine...but there has been no audio, and no appearance of active traffic only on the Honolulu County Public Safety Trunked EDACS system, which includes HPD, HFD, EMS, Ocean Safety, and a few other departments. I see the scanning details of each dept/channel as it is scanning, with freqs or TGIDs. Other systems and departments, including marine, air traffic, amateur radio, other P25 systems all have audio and function fine. I checked service types, and the only ones that were not on were "hospital" and "custom 1". I checked "hospital", but the "custom 1" cannot be selected, apparently no current system requires it. After saving the change, still no audio on the programmed Public Safety system.

I believe I need to manually program the OTHER system, "Honolulu City and County Public Safety System (P25)" also listed in the Trunking Section, but NOT included in the downloaded full (updated) database. This shows different freqs and info, and it appears they (the city & county) have been working on this system for over 2 years. It is shown as a Phase 2, which this scanner is supposed to be able to decode. By clicking on individual frequency names on that list, you can get additional info which I assume is helpful in setting up the programming, but I have no clue WHAT is NECESSARY, or the exact steps to input it (using Sentinel, or ARC, whichever would be easier). I played around a little with it this evening, but it is very confusing with regard to where each bit of info needs to go, which tab, etc. etc. I tried comparing to the existing EDACS set up, but it is not sinking in... (My scanner experience started about 50 years ago with a Bearcat IV, then a 101, and my last one was RadioShack Pro 92 that I programmed from the keypad. Technology has come a long ways...)

As I understand it, IF I can get a starting point for the system set up, then I could use the "discovery" function to locate any talkgroups. It seems there should be adequate info in the info listed; I just need to know where to put what. I really only need the Metro Simulcast system for testing purposes (located less than 4 miles away) to see if I can find ANY talkgroups with activity (I am within earshot of HFD and EMS stations). I assume that HPD, HFD, EMS will all use the same simulcast freq similar to how the EDACS system was set up.

Thanks for any assistance.

tvengr

Well Known Member
If the scanner is showing talkgroups on the Honolulu system and there is no audio, that is an indication that the ProVoice upgrade has not been activated. I know you said it was, but check again. Press the Squelch Knob to enter the menu. Scroll to Settings and Press E. Scroll to Upgrade and press E. Upgrade ProVoice should be highlighted. Press E. You will get a message that ProVoice has already been activated, if that is the case. If you are close to Honolulu, I would avoid all of the sites except Metro Simulcast. Scanning 10 sites can cause missing a lot of traffic. You can do a Site Hold on Metro Simulcast on the scanner to see the effect it has. If you want to try the P25 system, you create a P25 system with a site and enter the control channel frequency 851.5375 for Metro Simulcast. In the department, create a fake talkgroup with a TGID like 8888. With the system scanning, press the Function Knob and then E to change from ID Scan to ID Search.

wh6diq

Update...turns out it was mostly antenna issue, combined with a less than ideal building location/construction which I need to deal with. By trying different locations within my apartment for the antenna, my reception is now about 93% on the EDACS system. I took the scanner mobile to an open location, and the reception was near 100% with great quality, using the same antenna. I will be trying a discone antenna by the end of the year to see if that improves further.
Mahalo!

wh6diq

Discone (Tram 1410) was an epic fail. Noise and rsi increased, reception is significantly worse for this location than with the Hustler magmount setup. I tried the discone at three different locations within my condo. I may rig a mast mount with a weighted base that I can stand on the floor, and try it in my open doorway at the front of the apartment (current locations are at back lanai and near middle of apartment). It will be a little bulky, but I could use it as a portable base antenna off site also. Probably will be great used in the clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.