hpe files

Status
Not open for further replies.

jake01

How can I read the hpe files on my Window 10 PC from Sentinel, Import from hpe file (Favorite List) Can't find a program to read hpe files?

kruser

Premium Subscriber
You must use Sentinel for working with them.
Some of the actual favorite list files are human readable but those are HPD type files and can be opened and edited with a simple text editor but you need to be careful and maintain spacing and tabs and such as well as proper syntax otherwise the scanner won't be able to read or understand the file.

Ubbe

You read hpe files using Sentinel or Arc536 or ProScan or other programs that are compatible with win10 and the hpe format.
Hpd are older Uniden scanners like the HP1/2 and hpe are used by Unidens scanners that are sold today.

/Ubbe

jake01

You must use Sentinel for working with them.
Some of the actual favorite list files are human readable but those are HPD type files and can be opened and edited with a simple text editor but you need to be careful and maintain spacing and tabs and such as well as proper syntax otherwise the scanner won't be able to read or understand the file.
Thanks, I have SDS 100 Scanner. But I want to find a program, that is for Windows 10. that is for reading hpe files, and is not a scanner program . I use Sentinel BCDx36HP

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, I have SDS 100 Scanner. But I want to find a program, that is for Windows 10. that is for reading hpe files, and is not a scanner program . I use Sentinel BCDx36HP
I thought the HPD files were encrypted to comply with Radio Reference DB rules but that appears to not be the case.
Only the HPE files created from Sentinel exports appear that they may be encrypted and are not human readable.

I know the GRE versions of EZ-Scan will not let you edit any of the files downloaded as part of the RR database.

I doubt you will find anything that will work directly with the HPE files.
What is your reason for not using Sentinel?

You can view the HPE file contents all you want but the data will be meaningless. Open one with any text editor and you will see.

I'm also not so sure that ProScan actually reads and works with the HPE files. I think it works with the HPD files used by your favorites lists but I could be wrong about that.

Last edited:

jake01

You read hpe files using Sentinel or Arc536 or ProScan or other programs that are compatible with win10 and the hpe format.
Hpd are older Uniden scanners like the HP1/2 and hpe are used by Unidens scanners that are sold today.

/Ubbe

/Ubbe
Thanks, I have SDS 100 Scanner. But I want to find a program, that is for Windows 10. that is for reading hpe files, and is not a scanner program . I use Sentinel BCDx36HP. Maybe there isn't one I can put it in my WordPad, but I can't read it!
!

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Thanks, I have SDS 100 Scanner. But I want to find a program, that is for Windows 10. that is for reading hpe files, and is not a scanner program . I use Sentinel BCDx36HP. Maybe there isn't one I can put it in my WordPad, but I can't read it!
!

Look for the HPD files for the favorites lists on the SD card, those are readable with any text editor.

kruser

Premium Subscriber

/Ubbe
Ubbe, I just looked at all the files from a SDS200 and 536HP SD Card and there are no HPE files at all on the cards. Everything is HPD file extensions and are all human readable from what I could see.
The HPE files I looked at earlier must have been from an older model or maybe the format Sentinel stores the files on your local drive but the SD cards themselves only contain HPD files.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber

/Ubbe

All current Uniden SD card scanners still use the HPD files on the SD card for the favorites lists.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Where the heck are HPE files used? I know I looked at some with the .HPE extension earlier today and they were full of unreadable code.
I think I just answered my own question. .HPE files appear to be those files created by Sentinel when you do an Export of one of your favorite list files.
I logged the entire contents of one of my hard drives and all the HPE files are favorite exports and are not human readable.

jake01

I'm not sure but the HPE files may be encrypted to comply with Radio Reference DB rules.

I know the GRE versions of EZ-Scan will not let you edit any of the files downloaded as part of the RR database.

You can view the HPE file contents all you want but the data will be meaningless. Open one with any text editor and you will see.

I'm also not so sure that ProScan actually reads and works with the HPE files. I think it works with the HPD files used by your favorites lists but I could be wrong about that.
I'm not sure but the HPE files may be encrypted to comply with Radio Reference DB rules.

I do use Sentinel and I like it, but I want to printout exactly what is in the favorites lists, with voids, that is in the scanner.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Where the heck are HPE files used? I know I looked at some with the .HPE extension earlier today and they were full of unreadable code.

HPE files are used for Sentinel's import and export functions. Once they are in the scanner, they are in the HPD readable format.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I logged the entire contents of one of my hard drives and all the HPE files are favorite exports and are not human readable.

Sentinel also stores your favorites lists on your computer hard drive in the HPD readable format.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Sentinel also stores your favorites lists on your computer hard drive in the HPD readable format.

I just saw this as well. I guess I never really looked at the extensions Sentinel uses.

I wonder why the format the various versions of EZ-Scan use appear to be encrypted files?
I sort of think I recall reading something about the licensing agreement GRE agreed upon with RR being the reason their files are not human readable. It's been a long time since looking at that though. I do know the various version of EZ-Scan will not export anything that came directly from the RR database. Only the data the user created can be exported from EZ-Scan.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I do use Sentinel and I like it, but I want to printout exactly what is in the favorites lists, with voids, that is in the scanner.

If that's what you are after, using ProScan or the correct Butel ARC version to create your printouts may produce a better copy of your favorites.
I've only ever printed the contents for the quick keys I'd assigned but my favorite lists became so large that doing that was no longer practical.
I don't know, you will need to play with this one as the HPD files contain a lot of data that you would not want to print.
Some of the lines could be a couple hundred or so characters long or in width unless you word wrap the lines which can make ugly printouts.
Maybe you could parse out the useless data and clean things up before printing them.

Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'm sure there may be additional reasons, but I think file handling is one of them.

HPE files are standalone files that are export/import versions of the primary HPD files. HPE files can have names that give some meaning to them, where in Sentinel HPD files are all F****.hpd files.

There is also an F_LIST.CFG file which is, I'm guessing, a Favorites List Configuration file which assimilates those HPD files into something meaningful for both the scanner and Sentinel.

In "looking under the hood" on ProScan files, it appears they too use an F***.hpd file naming system. ProScan may be under some type of trade secrets requirement with Uniden in order for them to create software that can be loaded into SD card scanners. In other words ProScan may not be at liberty to talk much about this, other than to say HPE files are import/export things.

But in answer to the original question, ProScan and Sentinel can "read" or better said "accept" HPE files as imports. As noted above, text editor files can "read" or let you look at HPE (and HPD files). However you might not get much out of looking at them as they are formatted for a specific purpose and layout. That's why extreme caution is needed when viewing them via text editor as saving them via text editor can upset "things".

Status
Not open for further replies.