HPN-30118 Combined Notch Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
FM trap

Got my filter today, and what a difference it has made.
Much clearer, hear thinks I could never hear before.

Glad this worked for you, I have the PAR VHF FM trap and it also works great for my setup. Many readers here agree the new scanners need FM traps if you want to hear airband VHF. I went with the best one I could find. The RS traps I tried didn't do much for me. In fact I just ordered another filter from Dale the VHFSYM162HT. My NOAA stuff here in southern NV is very loud and powerful. I know by notching it out as well the scanners will perform better. Anything to lower the noise floor is better for the scanner and your listening experience.

RonnieUSA

Glad this worked for you, I have the PAR VHF FM trap and it also works great for my setup. Many readers here agree the new scanners need FM traps if you want to hear airband VHF. I went with the best one I could find. The RS traps I tried didn't do much for me. In fact I just ordered another filter from Dale the VHFSYM162HT. My NOAA stuff here in southern NV is very loud and powerful. I know by notching it out as well the scanners will perform better. Anything to lower the noise floor is better for the scanner and your listening experience.
Same here also, I think I'll take a look at that.
Took care of the music, and now it's NOAA wiping out stuff.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I have used the HPN-30118 filter for at least six months, maybe it's been a year. Anyways, it works quite well for me. I have issues with AM & FM BCB. It cleared things up, and like you, I can now hear things I could not. I also have a PAR AM BCB filter, and it works quite well. I was using that with a HF receiver.

I would purchase the HPN-30118 combination filter again.

scantime

Banned for duplicate accounts
Banned
I bought an HPN-30118 years ago to put in front of a wide band preamp and it bench tested very well with a very effective notch across the whole FM band.
prcguy

Purchased one of these about a year ago and yesterday wondered how well it might actually be working. So I ran the band scope on my BC15X both with and without it connected and here are the results.

The top pic is with the filter and bottom is without, and based on this I would have to say it isn't blocking the FM band very well. I'm all but sure I ran the same test after purchasing, with good results. Otherwise, I wouldn't have used it. But I don't think it's working it was intended to, and not sure what would cause this.

Also, for someone who is more familiar with the band scope mode, what does the cyan represent?

Attachments

• band scope.jpg
    band scope.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 719
Last edited:

737mech

Premium Subscriber
What program is this display you posted? Do you run it with the USB-1 cable or audio cable? Looks interesting I'd like to try it against my Par FM filters.

scantime

Banned for duplicate accounts
Banned
What program is this display you posted? Do you run it with the USB-1 cable or audio cable? Looks interesting I'd like to try it against my Par FM filters.

If I tell you what program it is, promise you won't post the results of your Par FM filters. I just ordered one and would hate to see the same results. lol

It's ProScan, and I believe it's the USB-1 cable as well (hooked up to the front port on the scanner).

Status
Not open for further replies.