HRM Fire from the Valley ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kduk2191

Hey, Newbie question.

Can anyone recommend a set-up to scan HRM Fire channels from a base in the Annapolis Valley, Near Berwick ?.

Is it do-able ? I guess my plan would be to use an outside antenna. But I have no idea if theres a set-up capable to receiving from that distance.

Thanks for any help input,

Cheers, Karl

darrylcn

Since you're most likely talking about the TMR HRM Fire channels (talkgroups) you'll have to either hope the local valley tower your scanner happens to be connected to is carrying an HRM Fire talkgroup (that's probably unlikely but I've heard HRP Primary West near the Cobequid Tolls) or build some sort of antenna that can pick up Geizer's Hill, which is a TMR tower that's located in Halifax (Clayton Park) that carries HRM Fire talkgroups regularly and then program your scanner to pick it (or some other HRM tower) up. Depending on your location and tower this could be feasible, according to Google Earth (if you can trust that) you're about 300 feet below the tower at Geizer's. If this was all Greek I or someone here can help you out or correct me.

Last edited:

hfxChris

Database Admin
I would say your chances of picking up any HRM fire from Berwick is next to none. The Geizers Hill site in Halifax is pretty strong and has a pretty wide coverage, but unless you're sitting on top of a mountain it's not too likely without some insane antenna setup. In fact the topology to the south of Berwick where it gets a bit hilly wouldn't work in your favor at all.

Your only real chance is to hope that some of the dispatch and operations talkgroups may affiliate with some TMR sites just outside of HRM. For example you can sometimes hear HRM fire on the Ellershouse site. I'm not sure about Martock, although that's also a possibility. And even then receiving those sites may be iffy.
The local TMR site for you is the Morristown one, and I would say the chances of an HRM fire talkgroup affiliating to that site is almost zero, unless somebody is in the area.

ve1sef

HRFE can be heard on TMR Ellershouse because Uniacke District Fire is dispatch by HRM.
Ellershouse is not far cross-country to St.Margarets Bay, lot of HRFE radio there.
As for picking up HRFE in Berwick, if your in downtown, doubtful. But, if you're going up
the North Moutain the elevation might increase you chances.
I've got to go to Windsor on Friday, I'll headout that way after my appointment and do some research.
What type of scanner are you using?

ve1sef

Was able to go to Berwick today. Took the 101 to Berwick and came back on the #1 to Kentville.
added HRFE, HRP, and EHS Central 1, to my "Valley" set up.
Lost HRP between Windsor and Hantsport, Central 1 on and off in the valley**, lost HRFE Disp-R also
around Hantsport.
No HRFE/HRP transmissions recieved on TMR past Hantsport.
Drove up to the Blomindon look-off to see if elavation might make a different. Did see the CC's for
Ellershouse and Sackville sites flash up, there was a brief but sratchy message on Disp-R. Unfortunity
wasn't there long enought to see which tower.
So, to echo the other answers, no you can't pick up HRFE from Berwick. The only alternative I can see
is the monitor the live radio feed, found in the Live Audio section.
** as for Central 1 the transmissions were coming over the Blomindon Site(860.2375). Halfway through
one conversion the transmission "shut off" like a switch had been turned off.
Must likely a radio in a Valley ambulance was left on Central-1 after leaving the city.

Last edited:

kduk2191

Hi all,

Thanks very much for the replies and information very helpful, I figured as much but didn't have the knowledge to know for sure.

Special thanks to VE, man that really answers the question, thanks for going out your way like that.

Guess it will be the online player. For some reason I don't seem to hear the pages going out just the units responding ?, plus EHS is always cutting in.

Thanks again all,

Karl, KDUK2191

Status
Not open for further replies.