HT Antennas - What's better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewSDScanner

I have a Wouxun KG-UVD1P.

I first used the rubber duck, then I made a tigertail counterpoise for the rubberduck that I used and that appeared to help me extend my reach and reception.

I had also ordered a Diamond SRJ77CA actually BEFORE I made the tigertail but the antenna was out of stock and I didn't get it until a month later (now).

So I'm wondering, which is better? Using my rubber duck with tigertail or using the SRJ77CA without tiger tail??? I can't use both, the SRJ's base extends too far down for my tigertail to connect to the radio with it attached.

I also have a mag-mount dual-band mobile antenna... Will this outperform both of the above? Thanks.

LtDoc

A -very- rough way of thinking about it is that the longer antenna will probably be better than a shorter antenna. After than, I ain't making no guesses. And naturally, an 'outside' antenna that's higher, will probably do better than an antenna 'inside'.
- 'Doc

(attach that 'tiger tail'/'rat tail' to the metal chassis of the radio instead of the base of the antenna.)

sparks40

Premium Subscriber
You might also try an adapter such as this to expand your antenna choices. I have the Diamond SRH77 for my Yaesu FT-60, and have nothing but good things to say about it's performance, but it gets in the way when i'm carrying the radio on my belt. I've also had very good performance with the MFJ 1716. If you use the adapter pictured below, you can use one or two rubber O-rings to cover the adapter under the antenna.

Attachments

• SMA ADAPTER.jpg
    SMA ADAPTER.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 731
Last edited:

sparks40

Premium Subscriber
Will this adapter change my jack from a male to a female?

Yes. The adapter will change it from a male to a female configuration. I would also ditch the tiger tail, and get a good gain antenna for your HT. Keep the stock duck that came with the radio as a backup.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.