HT in the car external antenna options

Status
Not open for further replies.

mparker

Wirelessly posted (Tmobile G1: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DRC83) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

I need to get my antenna out side the car when I take my HT with me, which option would give me the best performance.

1)Mag mount with my diamond whip/duckie

2)Window mount that clips to the window and you roll the window up with the same duckie

3) hatch back lip mount and a 2m antenna (most expensive and more permanent option then the others)

I would like something I can move car to car, I guess I am torn between the mag mount and the clip on window mount, I am not to crazy about the cb trucker look of the mag mount, but if it offers better performance than the window clip mount then its the way I will go.

Thanks

jcop225

Radio Zoomer
First of all you want to get away from using any sort of "duckie" antenna as an external antenna, most are not an entire quarter wavelength, and are not meant for that application. While many people oppose a mag-mount for a perminant mobile installation, they are just what you need for a setup that can be moved from car to car. The magnet not only keeps the antenna on your car but uses the car as a ground plane, making it the simplest way to get extra performance out of any antenna. Some antennas come with a magmount, (like many sold by MFJ Enterprises) but any mobile antenna can be used as a magmount, you just need to match the mount type with the antenna, (NMO, SO-239, or 3/8X24). Hope this helps you, good luck with your mobile operating.

mparker

Wirelessly posted (Tmobile G1: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DRC83) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

I have a diamond rh77ca I think it is 1/4 wave on 2m. I was looking around on eBay and found some may mounts that look nice and are under $20. I might give that a shotq

jcop225

Radio Zoomer
Again that is an antenna that goes right on top of the radio, note the type, BNC. For an inexpensave opton check out, MFJ Enterprises Inc.
they have inexpensave antennas and mounts. Again make sure it says "mobile antenna" and has the connection type mentioned above. You can use the HT in the car with its antenna, but your performance will be many times better with an antenna made to use mobile on the out side of the car.

mparker

That looks exactly like the one from mfj

N6RDC

I've used the Diamond MR77 2M/440 dual band mag mount with pretty good results with
my Kenwood TH-F6A HT. I've also had surprising good results with the Radio Shack Mag Mount
scanner antenna....actually works better than the Diamond MR77. But I know that something
a little larger like the Diamond SG7500A or Comet CSB-750A would be MUCH better.
It all comes down to how much you want to spend.
N6RDC

mparker

yeah, i like the stealth looks of the MFJ antenna. will that one work well also?

N8IAA

yeah, i like the stealth looks of the MFJ antenna. will that one work well also?

Since you live in Columbus, why not take a ride to Universal Radio. Or, if you want to travel a little further, AES in Wickliffe, OH. Any outside antenna will greatly improve your transmit/receive signal. Larsen makes a really nice dualband antenna with a whip on it. It is my prefered antenna on my mobile. It is a 1/4 wave on 2m, and a gain antenna on 73cm. I use a Larsen trunklip antenna that can use interchangeable BNC, SMA, and PL259 connectors. It is the better way to hook up an antenna on a vehicle than a magmount. But, I use magmounts too. Makes it easier to move from one vehicle to another.
Larry

Catdriver

I tried the clip-on window mount on my VX-150 HT an wasn't any better than leaving the antenna on the HT itself. Don't waste yer $$$....get you a good mag mount an be happy

CLynch7

I've had good luck with a Rat Shack CB mag mount that I've trimmed down to 5/8 wave for 2 meters. Even works reasonably well on 440.

Status
Not open for further replies.