• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

HT Questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

stormyva

I am new to the radio world and have started looking for a handheld.
The main use of this radio would be for working sporting events that I have been told require the following frequencies:
CH-1 -- 151.955MHz
CH-2 -- 154.570MHz
CH-3 -- 151.625MHz 5kHz -- CT:91.5
CH-4 -- 154.600MHz 5kHz -- CT:91.5

Most of the officials that I work with use the Kenwoods TH-F6A or Yaesu VX-7R and VX-8R. Supposedly those radios require some type of modification to work on the above frequencies.
Unfortunately those radios are a bit out of my price range currently and was hoping to find some alternatives.

The Wouxun radios look interesting, but I have no clue if they are capable of doing what I need, any ideas or recommendations?

bezking

Using those radios on those frequencies is illegal. If the FCC ever comes around, they will NOT be happy.
That said, if you need an inexpensive radio capable of those freqs, I would look into the Icom Land Mobile line - the Icom F3001 is available for under $150.

Last edited:

stormyva

Thank you for the quick response.

Being a newbie, can you or someone possibly explain what is so special about those frequencies.

Legalities aside are the Wouxun or Alinco radios capable of working like this or am I locked in to the Vertex Standard, Motorola, and Icom stuff?

prcguy

As already mentioned you don't want to use modified ham radios on those frequencies. I have a a couple of Wouxuns and they will work fine for your purpose at much less cost than the ham radios.
prcguy

I am new to the radio world and have started looking for a handheld.
The main use of this radio would be for working sporting events that I have been told require the following frequencies:
CH-1 -- 151.955MHz
CH-2 -- 154.570MHz
CH-3 -- 151.625MHz 5kHz -- CT:91.5
CH-4 -- 154.600MHz 5kHz -- CT:91.5

Most of the officials that I work with use the Kenwoods TH-F6A or Yaesu VX-7R and VX-8R. Supposedly those radios require some type of modification to work on the above frequencies.
Unfortunately those radios are a bit out of my price range currently and was hoping to find some alternatives.

The Wouxun radios look interesting, but I have no clue if they are capable of doing what I need, any ideas or recommendations?

stormyva

Again I am a newbie, so forgive my ignorance...

I am confused now, what would the difference be between the Icom F3001 and the Yaesu VX-7R, other than the frequencies they are capable of using?

bezking

The FCC approves different radios for different uses. This is called "type acceptance." The 7R is a ham radio - so it has not been approved for commercial LMR frequencies like the ones you need to use. The 3001, on the other hand, has been certified for use on LMR frequencies.

If something is being advertised as a Ham or Amateur radio - I can almost guarantee you that you wouldn't be allowed to use it on anything other than the amateur band.

Status
Not open for further replies.