• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

HT1000 and Astro Spectra

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnt133

Premium Subscriber
Hello All, Im looking to getting an older computer off of Ebay for programming HT1000's and Astro Spectras with the RSS / DOS (whatever the hell it is) programming. What should I look for and get?

Thanks!
Brendan

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Look for a Panasonic ToughBook CF-29.

They have real serial ports, can run DOS off a disk/USB/CD for programming your older DOS radios like HT1000/MT2000's but are "modern" enough to run Windows XP for legacy CPS like Astro Spectra/XTS3000, MCS2000/MTS2000 and newer CPS like Astro 25.

Make sure you get one with a hard drive or at least the caddy. The later (mk5) CF-29 is more desirable, but even a MK1 will work.

When formatting the hard drive, I'd make a small FAT32 partition for DOS based RSS, 120mb is fine. Just boot to DOS when you need to run the DOS RSS from the partition. My CF-29 mk 5 will boot from it's USB ports.

Don't overpay, a good clean one with a good screen should not be more than $125-150.

bnt133

Premium Subscriber
Look for a Panasonic ToughBook CF-29.

They have real serial ports, can run DOS off a disk/USB/CD for programming your older DOS radios like HT1000/MT2000's but are "modern" enough to run Windows XP for legacy CPS like Astro Spectra/XTS3000, MCS2000/MTS2000 and newer CPS like Astro 25.

Make sure you get one with a hard drive or at least the caddy. The later (mk5) CF-29 is more desirable, but even a MK1 will work.

When formatting the hard drive, I'd make a small FAT32 partition for DOS based RSS, 120mb is fine. Just boot to DOS when you need to run the DOS RSS from the partition. My CF-29 mk 5 will boot from it's USB ports.

Don't overpay, a good clean one with a good screen should not be more than $125-150.

Well...That makes life easier. I bought a cf29 the other day and was expecting to have to buy another laptop just for RSS CPS. Thanks for saving me some money!

cmdrwill

The latest HT1000/Visar/JT1000 RSS runs fine on a Pentium processor. DOS of course...
The MTSX, latest RSS version also runs on Pentium processors.

DisasterGuy

I also run HT1000 RSS on a pentium with no issues. There are also tools to disable cache that will allow even the oldest RSS to run fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
I use a cf18 running dos off a USB flash drive with good results.

Status
Not open for further replies.