• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

HT1000 & batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Have the department look into buying a Battery Maintenance System. Run the batteries through it, it may take a couple times for the really weak ones. You should be able to to restore many of them to service unless they have been badly abused. Then use it to test/recondition all the batteries at least quarterly to help keep them in service for as long as possible.

It doesn't take long for the machine to pay for itself.

I agree, this can pay for itself pretty quick. Most chargers that come with the radios are pretty harsh on the batteries.

The other big issue we see is lack of training. I've dealt with a number of cases at work where people just won't follow a few basic guidelines on how to get the most out of their rechargeable batteries. Leaving them in the chargers long term, leaving the radio turned on while in the charger, downright abuse, etc. After a while, the user error part of this can get really expensive. Then again, trying to train people can be time consuming, especially when they don't want to hear. Usually a good battery maintenance system will reduce issues. Depending on how many radios/batteries your department has, these can pay for themselves in short order.

OfficerEven

I agree, this can pay for itself pretty quick. Most chargers that come with the radios are pretty harsh on the batteries.

The other big issue we see is lack of training. I've dealt with a number of cases at work where people just won't follow a few basic guidelines on how to get the most out of their rechargeable batteries. Leaving them in the chargers long term, leaving the radio turned on while in the charger, downright abuse, etc. After a while, the user error part of this can get really expensive. Then again, trying to train people can be time consuming, especially when they don't want to hear. Usually a good battery maintenance system will reduce issues. Depending on how many radios/batteries your department has, these can pay for themselves in short order.

On the topic of battery maintenance systems would this system be able to handle the HT 1000 batteries? WPLN4079BR - Battery Maintenance System - Motorola Solutions USA

The website says yes, but i am curious if it can actually recondition the batteries. I might have an inexpensive source for such batteries.

RodStrong

Both of these will fit into the HT 1000? Those prices are fantastic. I would have liked higher mAh but the price can't be beat!

The first link was to an auction for one battery. The second link was just their store page on Ebay, which has lots of auction links. You can buy them in lots of 2 or 10 if you want, and you get a break on shipping. I buy batteries from them in lots of 10 for HT1000's, HT1250's, and XTS2500's regularly.

Maybe try one out. You might like it. 20 bucks with a one year warranty to fall back on isn't exactly a big loss in the event the battery didn't last as long as you like. And of course if it works out, then it's a smokin' deal. Obviously with that feeback rating, they aren't hosing people on sales or returns.

Whatever you wind up doing, good luck to you.

SCPD

QRT
Honeywell batteries

Some of you mentioned Honeywell batteries. Thought I'd pass something along about them.

For a few years, I was buying Honeywell batteries for some Racal handhelds.
On the Honeywell battery website was a little blurb about how to revive dead batteries.
Charge the battery, and then program it to something like NOAA radio, crank up the volume as much as practical, and let the radio drain completely overnite.
Then put it in the charger and do it again.
It said to do this 5 times before giving up on the battery.

I've been doing this ever since, and it works.
Over half the batteries I have tried this have came back to life and will hold a full charge overnite.

leitung

Premium Subscriber
I have a couple of brand new batteries for my HT1000 i got of fleabay for a decent price and work damm good too. The one I have now lasts me a 8 hour shift no problem.

KE4RWS

Genuine /\/\ or not . . .

I have numerous Jedi series portables (HT1000, MTS2000, MTX9000, MTX838). Years ago I used to buy only genuine Motorola batteries but after trying some of the after-market brands I was impressed and began buying them regularly when needed.

I only use my Motorola gear for amateur radio purposes. However, If it were for any kind of emergency services then things would likely be very different. Still, I understand there are some excellent quality after-market batteries available today - it's just that I have no need for higher-dollar Motorola batteries so I can easily get away with a twenty-dollar equivalent :cool:

Like others here, I too have been somewhat successful in bringing some batteries back to life after "conditioning" them. I have one of those single battery conditioners I pickled up years ago and it works great. I am able to recondition batteries roughly 50% of the time and get up to an additional YEAR worth of service out of a previously discarded battery, so I also agree with others when it comes to investing in a good quality battery conditioner for your HT1000 batteries. It's clear you would be able to keep a certain percentage of your batteries in service much longer than they do now, thus saving money on overall battery purchases.

There are people who stick their radio in the charger every ten minutes. And there are those who leave them IN the charger most of the day. Then there's the people who leave their HT1000 portable stuck in an MTVA all day and night. All that relates to killing a perfectly good battery in no time but most of the time it can be brought back to life if properly reconditioned ;)

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber

Yep. One of my personal responsibilities at our city radio shop is making sure all of our batteries are accounted for and kept conditioned.
I can't tell you how many times I have explained to our system users how to keep their battery in good condition and given out the Impres charger user guide. We have a mix of MTS2000's and XTS2500/5000's on our system so I have 3 different battery types to keep track of.
The gang conditioner/chargers are awesome and make my life so much easier!

6883699488_0f1b46c8d2_z.jpg

Marshall KE4ZNR

OfficerEven

The Motorola Battery Management System model #WPLN4079BR came in today's mail. I need to get the HT1000 adapters. Does anyone know the model number for them? I can't seem to locate it.

Edit: I found the two following parts:

1) TDN9435C $38.00 http://www.batteryclearance.com/motorola-tdn9435c-battery-maintenance-system-adapter-nicad-only.html
and
2) CDN6364 $85.00 A http://www.batteryclearance.com/motorola-cdn6364a-battery-maintenance-system-adapter.html

The $38 part does only NiCd batteries but we only have NiCds so I think it makes sense to go with it. The $85 part does both NiCd and NiMH.

Does anyone know if there is a better or different part that I should be looking it?

Last edited:

W2NJS

W&w

Battery Replacement Two Way Radio Wireless Scanner Camcorder Chargers Analyzers/Conditioners

also known as Broadway Battery in Hicksville N.Y.

they have more than just Batteries for Radios.....check out the Site and Good Luck
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For anyone considering this company I suggest they go to Batwing Laboratories and search "W&W batteries" for posts having to do with W&W.

Last edited:

OfficerEven

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For anyone considering this company I suggest they go to Batwing Laboratories and search "W&W batteries" for posts having to do with W&W.

I guess that's your reply. I have emailed them (no phone number on their website) but haven't heard back.

miamimd1

As someone stated my Motorola HT batteries are drained as much as possible once every 2 weeks by leaving the radio on a NOAA station all night. After the battery is fully charged i perform another discharge 2-3 cycles for the next couple of days, this keeps my Ni-Cads running well, and never leave in charger.

OfficerEven

They called me back and said they don't have a part for this charging station.

Status
Not open for further replies.