• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

HT1000 & batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

OfficerEven

I am brand new here. Please move this thread if this is the incorrect area of the forum. I am an auxiliary Patrol Officer for my local police department and somewhat radio technically inclined. We use the Motorola HT 1000 radios for heavy daily use. A lot of the battery packs have lost a significant amount of their charge, which obviously makes them out of service. The chief asked if I could look into the batteries and see if they can be repaired. There serial numbers are NTN7143C and NTN7143CR. Does anyone know if it's possible to open up these packs, test, and replace bad cells? Thanks, folks.

Officer Even

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Its not really worth it. To get the packs open is a pain without cracking them. For public safety use its better to just find a good replacement.You dont want them failing when its at a critical time. Even if not Motorola there are alot of good aftermarket brands that are reasonable cost wise. HT1000's are older radios and the price has come down latey in accessories.

OfficerEven

Its not really worth it. To get the packs open is a pain without cracking them. For public safety use its better to just find a good replacement.You dont want them failing when its at a critical time. Even if not Motorola there are alot of good aftermarket brands that are reasonable cost wise. HT1000's are older radios and the price has come down latey in accessories.

Thanks for the speedy reply. I really appreciate it.

I notice that the cover for the batteries seems to be glued shut. That does make it very annoying to open, but I guess these things were never meant to be serviceable.

On the topic of the HT 1000s do you know if there are any firmware/software updates for them that might enable them to have a longer life? We rely on them extensively and I am researching any sort of low-cost (or no-cost) method to eek every bit of life out of them. Lastly, where can I find the manual for it online? The MOT website says this product doesn't even exist.

Thanks,

Officer Even

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I've been using Honeywell brand batteries for my HT1000 and our MTS2000 at work. Specifically the 2700mAh NiMH ones. I got 4 years of 5 days a week usage out of my last one. Compared to the Motorola brand batteries, I couldn't really see a difference in the quality. Priced a bit cheaper. I think I was buying them for $36 each.

OfficerEven

I've been using Honeywell brand batteries for my HT1000 and our MTS2000 at work. Specifically the 2700mAh NiMH ones. I got 4 years of 5 days a week usage out of my last one. Compared to the Motorola brand batteries, I couldn't really see a difference in the quality. Priced a bit cheaper. I think I was buying them for $36 each.

Do you by chance have a model number for the Honeywell product?

Rob_K

Feed Provider
On the topic of the HT 1000s do you know if there are any firmware/software updates for them that might enable them to have a longer life? We rely on them extensively and I am researching any sort of low-cost (or no-cost) method to eek every bit of life out of them. Lastly, where can I find the manual for it online? The MOT website says this product doesn't even exist.

Thanks,

Officer Even

I am not an expert but I own 3 ht1000s. If your model ends in "dn", you have a few years left on them. The dn does narrow banding and splinter freqs. My limited experience shows that these radios take abuse and keep on working.

OfficerEven

I am not an expert but I own 3 ht1000s. If your model ends in "dn", you have a few years left on them. The dn does narrow banding and splinter freqs. My limited experience shows that these radios take abuse and keep on working.

I just checked the one I took one, but didn't see "dn" anywhere on the radio. I took off the battery and looked at the part with all the serial numbers and such. No love.

Do you know if there is a PDF for the owner manual? I can't find one.

Nasby

The "DN" part will be on the back of the radio under the model number. It will be the last two letters. If its anything other than DN (CN, BN etc.) then sadly the radio will be have to be replaced to comply with the 2013 narrowband requirements.
I've not found any PDF files for the HT1000 on line. However, if you check Ebay they are often on there for like $5.00. Another good source for Motorola info is batlabs.com
Good Luck!!

OfficerEven

Honeywell part number is H7144-M(27)
2700mAh, NiMH.
Pretty sure I was paying about $36 each, but that was back in 2007, last time I needed to buy any.

Thanks for this. BTW, I cracked open one the stock battery cases last night. It came off with some elbow grease and not too much cracking. Sure enough there are 6 cells in there of the "longer than" AA cells.

RodStrong

I buy a lot of batteries from Imax. I have bought probably 300-ish from them in the past 3-4 years, and have not had one pulled out of service yet. Super low prices, lightning fast shipping from the USA, always fresh, and they fit the radios well. Kind of a hidden gem in the knockoff battery industry actually. 51 thousand transactions with a 99.9%+ feedback rating. They must be doing something right.

Good luck.

NTN7144 1.5A BATTERY for MOTOROLA GP900 HT1000 MTX8000 | eBay

kenwood KNB-15, Motorola saber items in icom batteries store on eBay!

OfficerEven

I buy a lot of batteries from Imax. I have bought probably 300-ish from them in the past 3-4 years, and have not had one pulled out of service yet. Super low prices, lightning fast shipping from the USA, always fresh, and they fit the radios well. Kind of a hidden gem in the knockoff battery industry actually. 51 thousand transactions with a 99.9%+ feedback rating. They must be doing something right.

Good luck.

NTN7144 1.5A BATTERY for MOTOROLA GP900 HT1000 MTX8000 | eBay

kenwood KNB-15, Motorola saber items in icom batteries store on eBay!

Both of these will fit into the HT 1000? Those prices are fantastic. I would have liked higher mAh but the price can't be beat!

OfficerEven

Another question- is it possible to purchase just a "shell" for the battery pack? I guess I would like to purchase rechargable batteries as necessary and swap out dead cells with ease.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
A long time ago, maybe 10 years or so, I did see a battery shell for the Jedi radios. I haven't seen it since. It looked a bit clumsy, extend down and under the radio a bit. Wish I could remember the manufacturer....

OfficerEven

A long time ago, maybe 10 years or so, I did see a battery shell for the Jedi radios. I haven't seen it since. It looked a bit clumsy, extend down and under the radio a bit. Wish I could remember the manufacturer....

Oh, so no luck?

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber

I have no idea how well it works as I've never owned this but there is an aftermarket version (they appear to have two different types): CAM7144 Product Detail @ Batteryzone.com

jhooten

Have the department look into buying a Battery Maintenance System. Run the batteries through it, it may take a couple times for the really weak ones. You should be able to to restore many of them to service unless they have been badly abused. Then use it to test/recondition all the batteries at least quarterly to help keep them in service for as long as possible.

It doesn't take long for the machine to pay for itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.