• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

HT1000 VHF 16 channel question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMojoRisen

hello all, this is my first post and need some help.

i wanted to get some radios to use for camping and outdoor activities and came across a great deal on a bunch of motorola ht1000 VHF 16 channel radios. i am new to the radio world and have no clue what procedures i need to go through to get the radios transmitting.

the seller said the radios needed to be programmed but i dont know how to do that. i have no problem paying for the licenses to transmit but not sure what frequencies and options i have for these radios and how to get the licenses. currently radios are in great shape with batteries but they just dont communicate with each other. and is this something that i can do myself or do i need to send them off to be programmed?

i have several gmrs radios already - can i program a couple of those channels onto the ht1000 so they will work together?

i also picked up a motorola rdv5100 vhf 10 channel radio. can i get this programmed to work with the ht1000 also?

sorry if these are stupid questions but i have been looking online for answers i understand and have not found anything helpful. so if someone could explain in laymen terms that would be great.

thanks for any answers. your help is appreciated.

N4KVE

The GMRS radios are UHF 462/467 mhz, & won't communicate with the VHF radios you just got. But the good news is there are some VHF MURS frequencies that I don't believe you need a license to use. 154.57, & 154.60 come to mind, but someone please correct me if I am wrong. GARY N4KVE

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
HT1000's require some special equipment and software to program. Unless you have money to spare and more than beginning radio skills, it won't be feasible for you to program them yourself.

Best thing to do is search around and find a radio shop that will program them for you. It'll likely cost a few bucks, but they should do it right. Some ham operators have the stuff. I program them fairly often, I'd be happy to do them if you were local.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Although they're not technically legal for MURS, I doubt anyone is going to stop you but that's the only license free portion of the VHF high band. Otherwise you could get your ham license but everyone in your family would have to get their licenses as well. You wouldn't qualify for a business license so that's not doable.

As for programming, they require a DOS based program that's only legally available from Motorola, the appropriate cable and a device called a radio interface box (RIB) and an older computer that's only running in pure DOS (no Windows what so ever). If that sounds too daunting, I'm sure any Motorola dealer could handle programming for you.

MrMojoRisen

Although they're not technically legal for MURS, I doubt anyone is going to stop you but that's the only license free portion of the VHF high band. Otherwise you could get your ham license but everyone in your family would have to get their licenses as well. You wouldn't qualify for a business license so that's not doable.

As for programming, they require a DOS based program that's only legally available from Motorola, the appropriate cable and a device called a radio interface box (RIB) and an older computer that's only running in pure DOS (no Windows what so ever). If that sounds too daunting, I'm sure any Motorola dealer could handle programming for you.

i actually have a trust set up and i was told i should have no trouble purchasing a business license for the use of the frequencies based on the trust. does that sound accurate? basically i would be saying i am a professional hunter.

MrMojoRisen

i have a trust set up for various reasons and was told that i wouldnt have any trouble purchasing a business license for the use of the radios legally but am not sure the advantages of going through that process or just setting them up for murs.

can someone explain the advantages of getting the license?

jhooten

I had the letter from the Houston field office that said they were. The regs say no "external provision" for increasing the power. Go to the service menu, set the power level. There is no way for the OPERATOR to turn the power up.

MrMojoRisen

i can get a business license to operate the radios but am not sure of the advantage of doing that. can someone explain the advantages of having the radios set up the way they are supposed to be used as opposed to just setting them up for murs?

and if i get the license can i still have a couple of murs channels programmed into it?

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. Many people offer interpretations but it's always good to get it direct!

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

Check your state laws regarding the use of radios while hunting. That may be illegal, and the penalty would be stiffer than just using a non-approved radio on MURS.

MrMojoRisen

thanks. i completely mis-spoke earlier, what i meant to say. my ranch is my business. ranch activities and day to day operation are my purpose for purchasing the radios. i need a way to program these radios for daily use.
\can anyone offer advice?

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

A local radio shop may be your best bet. Shop around to see if you can get quotes.

cmdrwill

Start out with the radios programmed for MURS. See how that works for your your ranch ops.

Have a licensed tech certify that the programming in your radios meets the MURS rules. To cover your xx.xx if anyone asks.

Remember that MURS is licensed by Rule, and you have to follow all the rules to be able to operate.

KB7MIB

There's another thread here on the HT1000 being used on MURS you can read. There was a link provided to the FCC's web page that will tell you if the radio is legal or not. I don't believe it is, but that's between you and your conceinsce (sp?).

krokus

Premium Subscriber
If you have your ranch registered as a business, then you should qualify for a business license, with the FCC. You would have to apply for that though the FCC website's Universal Licensing System.

Talk to a local Motorola dealer, they can point you in the correct direction.

MrMojoRisen

is there a difference in range between vhf and murs?

why is operating murs at 5w illegal? does 2w really make a big difference

again, sorry if these are stupid question. i am loving all i have learned so far on this site.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
No, MURS is VHF so no different from adjacent Part 90 frequencies. 2 W is what the FCC specified and I wouldn't think the difference is all that great.

MrMojoRisen

so murs is basically vhf but without the licensing issues? how many channel options are there? is murs a different frequency?

Status
Not open for further replies.