• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

HT1250 CPS not writing to radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

toverbeck

Premium Subscriber
Hi all,
Very new to this and trying to learn.

Trying to program a UHF HT1250 using CPS R06.12.05 (using this version because a few local GMRS repeaters are wideband and latest version restricts use of wideband).
I am on a Lenovo, Windows 10, 64 bit machine using a ribless USB cable.

The cable and program read the radio with out issue, I tried just to make a minor change by changing the name of a channel (just to test everything) and the program and radio act as though the CPS is writing to the radio. The radio then reboots yet no change has taken effect. I am at a loss as to what the issue could be an how hard it is to solve. Everything seems to work fine, the programming just doesn't take.

Thank you in advance for your help and advice.

clbsquared

Does the new name max out the character allowance? I would imagine you would get an error or the box would turn red, indicating something is wrong. Can you save the edited codeplug without an error message?

On the other hand, I have seen HT1250's reach their maximum times allowed for programming, in which case you would need to replace the EEPROM.

toverbeck

Premium Subscriber
Does the new name max out the character allowance? I would imagine you would get an error or the box would turn red, indicating something is wrong. Can you save the edited codeplug without an error message?

On the other hand, I have seen HT1250's reach their maximum times allowed for programming, in which case you would need to replace the EEPROM.

The channel name was much shorter. Original was "Channel 8" I changed to "Ch. 8"
I didn't know there was a limit on how many times a radio could be programmed. replacing the EEPROM sounds involved and complicated haha :)

K2NEC

Did you make sure to click away after writing the name? I have had an issue before where I went to a personality, changed the name, and just closed the personality. Change didn't take effect and the radio still displayed the same alias. Try changing the name, switching to a different tab, then write to the radio.

Not likely that this is the case but explore all options right?

toverbeck

Premium Subscriber
An update, after some restarting everything. I This is what I have learned.
There are 16 channels pre-programmed to the radio by a guy that set them up originally.
I have successfully
  • change channel names
  • updated the time on the clock
  • Overwrote 1 channel with a new name and frequency
All of this wrote to the radio
I thought these were 128 ch. radios but could it somehow be limiting me to 16 channels only? If so, any thoughts on how to fix that?

Last edited:

clbsquared

An update, after some restarting everything. I This is what I have learned.
There are 16 channels pre-programmed to the radio by a guy that set them up originally.
I have successfully
  • change channel names
  • updated the time on the clock
  • Overwrote 1 channel with a new name and frequency
All of this wrote to the radio
I thought these were 128 ch. radios but could it somehow be limiting me to 16 channels only? If so, any thoughts on how to fix that?
You can only have 16 channels per zone. You need to create more zones if you want more channels.

a417

U+0000
16 conventional is the limit. I think I remember a way around it but it’s involved and I can’t remember the process or what’s needed. It may be a hex edit or a different software.

I have a 128 ch HT-1250 LS+. It took a factory trip waaay back for a channel & signalling upgrade after a veritable war with a radio shop and came home with a slightly different model number. Some reason 7 or ...8AN rings a bell. So no, not something that was easily done.

Status
Not open for further replies.