• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

HT1250 Ht1250 newbie question

Status
Not open for further replies.

fovfd61

A bit of an intro:
Greetings everybody, to start with, I’m a first responder in Northeast Arkansas and I inherited an icom radio that seems ancient from someone else that retired. The radio works sometimes and some other times it doesn’t. Anyway, from my own budget I decided to get the same type of radio but Motorola. I downloaded the manual, read it, I’m advanced with computers and decided it would not be such a big deal to add the channels I listen to. I’ve never tried to program a radio before, this is the first time.

The radio:
The radio came from a first responder in Ohio and according to description it came with 16 channels programmed.

The issue:
From the manual I was able to set a few things up as scanning, some alarm tones and fix the date. When I try to scan, that I go down the menu there is no menu item called “Scan List”. Is there anybody that know why I am missing this part of the menu? (Please see attachment, the menu item I’m missing is circled in red).

Attachments

• 9F664D47-5697-4BF0-A277-2B077A5FB19B.jpeg
    9F664D47-5697-4BF0-A277-2B077A5FB19B.jpeg
    108.8 KB · Views: 27

Floridarailfanning

Premium Subscriber
A bit of an intro:
Greetings everybody, to start with, I’m a first responder in Northeast Arkansas and I inherited an icom radio that seems ancient from someone else that retired. The radio works sometimes and some other times it doesn’t. Anyway, from my own budget I decided to get the same type of radio but Motorola. I downloaded the manual, read it, I’m advanced with computers and decided it would not be such a big deal to add the channels I listen to. I’ve never tried to program a radio before, this is the first time.

The radio:
The radio came from a first responder in Ohio and according to description it came with 16 channels programmed.

The issue:
From the manual I was able to set a few things up as scanning, some alarm tones and fix the date. When I try to scan, that I go down the menu there is no menu item called “Scan List”. Is there anybody that know why I am missing this part of the menu? (Please see attachment, the menu item I’m missing is circled in red).

Have you reprogrammed the radio with CPS? Many of these settings can't be changed by direct entry on the radio, you'll have to use the software.

fovfd61

I have not reprogrammed the radio. Not yet sure how to do so. I’m sure I’ll need to get a dongle to connect the radio with my computer. So what exactly is CPS if you don’t mind schooling me?

Floridarailfanning

Premium Subscriber
I’m a first responder in Northeast Arkansas

Well, since your a first responder I strongly recommend that you consult your department's radio folks or find out who their vendor is and work from there. Radios and infrastructure for public safety applications like this must be professionally managed. It would be one thing if you were already aware of the intricacies of the Motorola ecosystem and radio programming, but it's probably best not to take a chance.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I have not reprogrammed the radio. Not yet sure how to do so. I’m sure I’ll need to get a dongle to connect the radio with my computer. So what exactly is CPS if you don’t mind schooling me?

As others said, there's a lot to this.

Since you are new, I'll say a few things that may not sound too positive, but it's important you know:

1. As an employee, member, volunteer, etc. of any public agency, you are not permitted to add radios to their radio systems without specific authorization from the licensee. This is not optional if you want to be legal. The FCC rules are very clear on this subject, the licensee is 100% responsible for all radios belonging to their radio system. There is no legal way around that. Before you do anything with your radio, get a letter of permission from your chief on agency letterhead specifically saying you are being permitted to have your own radio attached to their system. Keep this document. Without it, you are operating in violation of the FCC rules. You, as an individual, employee, member, volunteer, reserve, backup, hobbyist, amateur radio operator, etc. do not have a license to operate on their frequencies. This should not be an issue if you talk to your chief. I'll be happy to point you to the FCC rules that cover this if you'd like.

2. Any used radio you buy needs to be checked out by a competent radio tech. As components age, the alignment of the radio can wander of spec. As I stated above, the licensee is responsible for all the radios on their system, so it's important that your radio be operating within specifications. This will also help ensure that your radio will work when needed. As a first responder, I'm sure you can appreciate how important it is that all your equipment work properly, especially when others lives may depend on it.

There, that's out of the way….

It's very unlikely that the radio you purchased is even remotely set up to work on your agencies radio system. It will require programming.
Legal copies of Motorola programming software (CPS) are expensive. Rather than purchase expensive software for your one radio, it would be more cost effective to have it programmed by which ever shop handles the radios for your agency. It'll be cheaper in the long run, too.
There's a lot of details that go into programming a radio, and it's not easy for those unfamiliar with the two way radio industry, the software, FCC rules, and the capabilities of the radio to understand. Not trying to discourage you, but trying to make sure your radio is set up correctly since your own life may depend on it operating properly.
Having the radio properly programmed and tested will make sure that your radio is set up with all the correct channels that your agency is using. That can include interoperability channels, mutual aid, as well as channels for adjacent agencies. Having your radio set up with all that information will make life easier for you in the long run. Ask them to set up your radio to mirror the other agency radios, that'll make it easier for you, and easier if someone else in your department needs to use your radio.
Some agencies use a Push To Talk ID system. Think of it as "caller ID" for radio. If your agency or any of the agencies you have mutual aid agreements with use PTT ID, then you'll need to have an ID assigned for your radio and have it properly programmed in. Showing up on a radio system without a proper ID can cause confusion for the dispatchers. Don't be "That Guy"….

A few more things...
Assume any used radio you acquire is going to need the following:
-As stated above, have the alignment checked by having the shop put the radio on their service monitor. This will make sure the radio is operating correctly, within spec and legally. No telling what previous owners have done to it.
-Assume that any battery that came with the radio is nearing end of its useful life. You should purchase new batteries (more than one) for your radio if you are going to depend on it, or anyone else's life is going to depend on that radio working correctly.
-Same with the antenna, No telling what the previous owner did. Antennas are frequency specific, and you need to make sure you have the correct one on the radio. Some sellers will slap any old antenna on the radio and send it out the door. Some sellers just don't know better. Also, antennas are kind of a "consumable" item. In most cases they do not last forever. Put a new antenna on the radio unless you know with 100% certainty that the antenna that came with it is not only the correct one, but working correctly.

I know a lot of small and/or volunteer agencies are running on extremely tight budgets. Members buying their own radios is sort of a fact of life. Just make sure you do it correctly, even if no one else does.

fovfd61

I am taking all your advise very seriously so first things first. I asked my chief, and he said that if it was ok with the technician he has designated for the radio stuff then it was ok with him. I took the radio to the technician and he approved of the radio but he will have a more advanced technician look at the radio and have it programmed for me. So West Tennessee Communications will be programming the radio for me and make sure it complies with all the laws.

Thank you so much for the very detailed advice you guys offered, I truly appreciate it. Once my radio is programmed and fully working I’ll update this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.