• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

HT1250 Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FirstDue5

I am programming a VHF HT1250 to listen to a local Fire Department, I get everything squared away and program, but when I am listening in on audio, every transmission sounds garbled and has alot of static, is there anything I am doing wrong? The dispatch frequency is just a normal Vhf frequency.

clbsquared

Make sure you have it set to narrow band. 12.5 spacing, not 25. Double check your frequencies and PL/DPL tones. Do you have the correct antenna? It could be a number if things. Your radio could possibly need to be aligned.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

RFI-EMI-GUY

I am programming a VHF HT1250 to listen to a local Fire Department, I get everything squared away and program, but when I am listening in on audio, every transmission sounds garbled and has alot of static, is there anything I am doing wrong? The dispatch frequency is just a normal Vhf frequency.
Normally, if a radio is listening in wideband mode to a narrow band TX, there will be reduced audio level, not distortion. Now if their TX is wideband and the radio set to narrow band, there will indeed be noise and distortion.

1 make sure your local FD has completed narrow banding. If their licence reflects a waiver, they may still be in wideband, or no waiver and they are in violation of FCC NB mandate.

2 make sure your radio is programmed for the appropriate bandwidth. If narrow band, try turning compandoring feature off. Or on if they use compandoring.

3 make sure your radio is operating on frequency. It is surprising how far they might drift in a couple years.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

RFI-EMI-GUY

If I need to have it aligned, how do I got about that?
Normally, the frequency might drift. Check using a frequency counter in the TX mode. You need the CPS tuner software to adjust it.

12dbsinad

Static as in low signal strength? If so it could be:

- Radio has a RX issue as stated before, off frequency, wrong antenna on radio, etc.
- Are you in the coverage area when trying to listen to the FD?

FirstDue5

Static as in low signal strength? If so it could be:

- Radio has a RX issue as stated before, off frequency, wrong antenna on radio, etc.
- Are you in the coverage area when trying to listen to the FD?

It's not like it's a low signal, I'm in the county. It's just garbled. It helped a little to turn companding off. It has the NAD6502 Vhf antenna on it.

clbsquared

Does it have this issue no matter where the radio is? If you're outside in an open area with no visible obstructions, does it still have static and sound garbled? VHF handhelds have a lot of RX and TX issues inside structures and in moving vehicles.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Are you sure its garbled? maybe muffled would be a better use? i usually dont associate analog with garbled.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
It's not like it's a low signal, I'm in the county. It's just garbled. It helped a little to turn companding off. It has the NAD6502 Vhf antenna on it.

Sounds like it either needs an alignment, or it could have a bad front end filter.

Either way, it needs to be put on the bench and checked out with proper test equipment.

The Cherokee VHF system is pretty robust and you should be getting stellar receive with a decent portable, unless you are deep inside someplace like the outlet mall or in the low spots around Waleska.

12dbsinad

If they aren't using companding then it should be off or it will not sound good... Have you looked at the RX audio settings? Is it Disabled, Compressed, Low-Level, etc?

It could be something like a bad speaker... do you have a RSM to plug in and try?

RFI-EMI-GUY

Also try moving the radio to a different location to rule out local interference, like from a PC or plasma TV. Still my money is on the reference oscillator off frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.