• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

HT1250 Programming for Ham use help

Status
Not open for further replies.

KQ4BX

Premium Subscriber
I may be able to buy a UHF Motorola HT1250-LS and I have access to the programming CPS system to program it. I have tried to program a HT1250-LS for ham frequencies and the best I could do was get the receive to work.
I took the radio out of trunking mode, and I set the tones needed for the repeater, but I never got it to transmit. I know it is possible because I got the local radio shop to do it once. I am not an expert with CPS, I only use it to make minor changes to the radios, and to copy programming to new radios from others of the same model.

Does anyone know of any web documents, or web sites that have help with programming Ht1250's with CPS for Ham use?

What I know is that I set the receive freq and it works, I set the transmit frequency, bandwidth back to wide, and proper PL tone for the repeater and the radio refuses to transmit. I must be missing some detail, only I can't find it within CPS.

I have the newest version of CPS, and I have the new Mototurbo digital radio version for the newest radios from Motorola. I have both of my systems enabled for wide band programming.

I would trade someone who knows, and does not have access, programming service in exchange for some detailed help in programming the HT1250 for ham use.

Thanks, Joe

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Does it "bonk" when you try to TX or does it not do anything at all? It sounds like you have it set up right because if you enabled RX only, you'd not be able to enter a TX frequency (as you say you have).

KQ4BX

Premium Subscriber
No, it makes no sound on transmit. The part of the screen in CPS that I did most of the programming had places for Transmit freq, Transmit Tone, and Receive freq, receive tone. I took the radio out of trunking, and selected Conventional.
I hope some of these details clue you in on what I did wrong.

Thanks for the reply.

Joe

KC4YIN

Premium Subscriber
I have one of these and it works great on ham. You have to set the transmit freq and any PL tones, if needed, separately. The box to set the transmit freq. is right below the box where you set the receive freq.

KQ4BX

Premium Subscriber
I think that is what I said, it looks so simple, all of the info is on the same screen. Both transmit and Rec are set at the correct offset, and it still won't transmit. I know tha tthe radio works, as I programmed it back to trunking with a saved profile, and it worked fine.

Can you post a screen shot of the settings you made to get your 1250 to work on your local repeater? I have the newest CPS.

Thanks, Joe

KQ4BX

Premium Subscriber
Sorry, I am not an expert with CPS. When you say Personality, are you saying that Personality is a separate program to define the mode I want on those channels? I will research that, but as it is now, I have no firm ideas.
As I already said, I set the radio to Conventional and took it out of Trunking, then programmed both transmit and receiver freq, and the tone needed only on transmit, I disabled receive tone, and it receives the repeater fine. It just does nothing on transmit.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
When you say it does nothing on transmit, you mean no LED indication, or it just doesn't seem to "get out"?
If the latter,
Do you have access to a frequency counter or scanner with close call? Make sure it's transmitting on the frequency you think it is.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Have you tried a simplex channel (a.k.a talk-around) to another radio you might have nearby?

SCPD

QRT
Get a personality

Sorry, I am not an expert with CPS. When you say Personality, are you saying that Personality is a separate program to define the mode I want on those channels? I will research that, but as it is now, I have no firm ideas.
As I already said, I set the radio to Conventional and took it out of Trunking, then programmed both transmit and receiver freq, and the tone needed only on transmit, I disabled receive tone, and it receives the repeater fine. It just does nothing on transmit.

See where it says "Personality Assignment to Zone"?
Open that up.
Now click where it says Zone 1.
Now click on the channel tab.
Drop down the conventional box and put "Conventional 1" where it says CHANNEL 1.
Voila.
You can add channels by right clicking on the farmost 1 and clicking "Add at end".

KQ4BX

Premium Subscriber
I think that is what I said, it looks so simple, all of the info is on the same screen. Both transmit and Rec are set at the correct offset, and it still won't transmit. I know tha tthe radio works, as I programmed it back to trunking with a saved profile, and it worked fine.

Can you post a screen shot of the settings you made to get your 1250 to work on your local repeater? I have the newest CPS.

Thanks, Joe

Maybe I should have said that the radio is set for trunking, and I'm not sure how to reset it back to factory and start fresh.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.