• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

HT1250 VHF - Busted PA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trboman17

Hi!

I recently purchased two VHF (136 - 174 MHz) HT1250s on eBay (I know, I know :roll:) that I suspect might both have busted PAs; what luck! Unfortunately, I don't have a power meter or the right equipment for that matter to confirm my suspicion, but a friend and I tested the pair out and were barely able to get even a half a mile apart before each radio starting having problems receiving the other even on high power (I'm using the stock VHF antenna btw). I know the RX on both radios is good (able to pick up distance ham repeaters), so I'm guessing something with the final is borked.

I called up the local /\/\ dealer to find out if they could test the radios for me and give me a quote as to how much it will cost to get both fixed, but I won't hear back from them until most likely Monday morning. Basically, I'm trying to figure out what my options are with these radios. Do I spend the money to get them fixed (hopefully not more than what I paid for them) or do I sell them for parts? Does anyone have experience in this matter? If so, approximately how much did it cost to get one repaired?

Thanks!

bezking

First, make sure that there is no letter "L" on the top of the display - which would indicate that the radio is in low-power mode. If that's not the case, read on.

I had a similar issue a while back with a UHF HT1250 - same symptoms as you, except the receiver basically had to be right next to the problem radio to hear it. I seem to recall a dealer quoting around $200 to fix it, but I could be mistaken.

If the eBay seller advertised them as working, I would just send them back.

trboman17

First, make sure that there is no letter "L" on the top of the display - which would indicate that the radio is in low-power mode. If that's not the case, read on.

I had a similar issue a while back with a UHF HT1250 - same symptoms as you, except the receiver basically had to be right next to the problem radio to hear it. I seem to recall a dealer quoting around $200 to fix it, but I could be mistaken.

If the eBay seller advertised them as working, I would just send them back.

Thanks for the reply. I tested both radios in high power mode. :(

I messaged both eBay sellers, but I wish I could have detected this problem earlier. Unfortunately, even with the low output power, I was still able to make it into the local repeaters, so it went virtually undetected until I tried working simplex. Oh well, I guess I'll see what happens.

Thanks!

N4KVE

A half mile between 2 HT's isn't bad. Try to test the radios through a repeater, or try to find someone with a power meter, as the 2 way shops treat all customers like they make money using these radios. Their attitude, & rightly so is that if you use these radios to dispatch repairman, or whatever to make money, then they can charge a bundle to fix these revenue generating radios. In the past I have gotten big discounts by telling the shop owner that I was using the radios for ham radio freq's only, not business freq's, so the radios were not generating money. GARY N4KVE

Status
Not open for further replies.