• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

HT600 Software Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

retroactiv

I have two Moto HT600's because of narrowbanding the agency I got them from no longer needs them, and would like them reprogrammed to Ham Bands, my issue.

I have contacted Motorola to get the software to program the HT600's they no longer support the software and told me to go find it from another source. I have everything needed to do the reprogram minus the software. Please help me be able to help my ARES group get some free radio's programmed so we can use them.

N4KVE

I'm sure there are a few hams here who would program your radio on ham freq's for the price of shipping. With narrow band around the corner, there will be tons of wide band radios going real cheap in the coming year. Great radios for us. Good luck. GARY N4KVE

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Idle Motorola no longer supporrts the HT600 so it isnt even avalible, the support for those radios went out almost 15 years ago. If you were to get Motorola software by the terms of your liscense you are not allowed to give it out to anyone.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

The software is easy to find, BUT you require a old very slow computer (486 or slower) and not a dos box. There is the famous 'russian site' amougnst othere where you can find the software. Funny Moto told you to 'find it else where'

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I used to do all my programming on a Pentium.

For some rss, the CPU caches had to be disabled but I w as able to read and write most radios with it.

cmdrwill

The later version of both the HT600 and the P200 which is the same software, different name, works on later computers.

You need REAL DOS, wont work in dos window.

bezking

Regardless of age, use, etc, we do not condone software piracy here at RR. If you have it, it's against your license to distribute it and discussion of any such "russian site" is not permitted.

Thanks.

K

kb0nly

Regardless of age, use, etc, we do not condone software piracy here at RR. If you have it, it's against your license to distribute it and discussion of any such "russian site" is not permitted.

Thanks.

While i agree.... I want to put this out there also...

With the large dumping of wideband radios for narrowband i have found even Motorola dealers are not following the rules on the software. I know a guy that dumpster dived at a local radio dealer and found stacks of floppy discs and cd's for older models. When he inquired if he could have them they said sure, we don't need it anymore.

I think there will be a large change coming in the their anal paranoia. Basically they don't care about radios that will not be useable in the commercial market. The only reason they strongly protected their software was because they didn't want older models providing competition for newer models, i have had dealers tell this to my face. Now that they have to be narrowband the older gear will become quick orphans.

However, if you think their software regulation on the older models is bad, try to purchase a copy of software for the new current production radios. They give that out with an eyedropper, unless your a dealer of course.

Some of the really old stuff has shown up on websites, and unlike back in the day Motorola isn't even attacking them over it, they seem to be turning a blind eye to it now.

bezking

Yup, their enforcement seems to be way down since that guy Patrick Harrington left their IP division (he's the one that sent those letters to the people that bought the Nick Deluca/Watchbuddy radios)...

"I don't make the rules, I just enforce 'em..." :)

davidgcet

Premium Subscriber
just to show how /\/\'s attitude has changed, the other day we(an actual channel partner) tried to purchase the MTS2000 CPS and the rep told us it was NLA even though the MOL site listed a price when we logged in. he then said "i did not say this but google it and you can find it easily". There was a time when if we even jokingly said somethign liek that to /\/\ the next phone call would come from a corp lawyer saying to cease and desist.

retroactiv

My moto rep told me to go find it else where, when I asked him he said just ask around you're sure to find a copy somewhere, we haven't supported the HT 600 since like the early 90's, and with narrowband that radio is bricked.

jefflaur1

Okay here's a question. About the HT600 and cables. Does the software NOT allow use of a RIBless programming cable? I have one, and it has a connector for a battery and it connects to the COM1 serial port.. but my Toshiba 286 keeps giving me a COM PORT TEST FAILURE. Same connector works for my HT1000 and the RSS works.. Is there a trick to this for the 600, or should I just wait for the RIB cable with the parallel connector to arrive from China..and use the RIB box?

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Okay here's a question. About the HT600 and cables. Does the software NOT allow use of a RIBless programming cable? I have one, and it has a connector for a battery and it connects to the COM1 serial port.. but my Toshiba 286 keeps giving me a COM PORT TEST FAILURE. Same connector works for my HT1000 and the RSS works.. Is there a trick to this for the 600, or should I just wait for the RIB cable with the parallel connector to arrive from China..and use the RIB box?

Are you using the correct RSS? The HT1000 RSS is completely different. Other than that, the so called "ribless" cable actually has a RIB built into it, so you're still using one. Going through the parallel port won't work either, it's always the serial port used.

jefflaur1

No no..the RSS for the 1000 is different I know..and everything communicates through the serial ports..but the external RIB..actually the box..plugs into the serial port..and the cable from the RIB has a connector on it that appears like a parallel connector..I guess it's an RS232, 25 pin from the box to the radio.

For the 600 I have the "RIBLESS" cable, that is "supposed" to have a RIB circuit in it. The cable doesn't work for the 600...but, using the actual RIB box for the 1000 (with the appropriate cable for the 1000) it works..I am just wondering if the RSS for the 600 is extra picky and requires the actual RIB box..if so, I have a RS232 cable for the 600 coming..if it doesn't work..then there is something the HT600 software doesn't like.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
its more that the chinese RIBLESS cables have a newer RS232 to TTL converter that don't play well with older UARTs.

Try this: make a DOS BOOT disk (or download one), and use a newer machine, with a real serial port. You'll be surprised at the results.

Had the same issue with one of those cables. Would not read/write using a genuine IBM PS/2 mod 70-386 desktop (circa 1991). PC worked fine with a genuine RIB.

Took the cable over to present day (at the time) Tohsiba Tecra dual core 3400 laptop with real serial port, booted from a DOS BOOT CD which also had HT600 RSS on it, and it worked flawlessly.

Status
Not open for further replies.