Hudspeth County Sheriff's Office Feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanphreak

I read today that Steven Segal has been sworn in as a full time deputy with Hudspeth County. I'm wondering if anyone living in that area wouldn't mind setting up a live feed on RR for the rest of us to listen to? It looks like it would be fairly simple since they're running VHF-Hi in analog (according to the db).

I'd be interested in listening to their traffic online.

Link about Segal's employement there:
Add deputy to Steven Seagal's credits - San Antonio Express-News

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
We don't have too many members out that way that frequent this forum so a response may be a little delayed. I know we have a few El Paso County members, but other than that, we don't have many Trans-Pecos members.

scanphreak

Yeah I kind of figured, my original post was back in middle of october so I figured waiting 3 weeks for a response was long enough before saying something again. Sort of bumping the thread back into view.

I see someone in el paso is providing a feed, and there is someone in Hudspeth providing a feed as well but it's amateur radio. I thought I would come in here and at least give it a shot that maybe someone on here from there would be reading and willing to do that. I've been following the cartel's activities via media and would just really love being able to listen in to Hudspeth county and see what's going on out there.

Maybe someone in El Paso who can pick up Hudspeth's VHF channel would be willing to provide a feed?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Yeah I kind of figured, my original post was back in middle of october so I figured waiting 3 weeks for a response was long enough before saying something again. Sort of bumping the thread back into view.

I see someone in el paso is providing a feed, and there is someone in Hudspeth providing a feed as well but it's amateur radio. I thought I would come in here and at least give it a shot that maybe someone on here from there would be reading and willing to do that. I've been following the cartel's activities via media and would just really love being able to listen in to Hudspeth county and see what's going on out there.

Maybe someone in El Paso who can pick up Hudspeth's VHF channel would be willing to provide a feed?
That "amateur radio feed" you're seeing under Hudspeth County is not local. In fact, you'll find that exact same feed listed under most counties, not only in Texas, but other states as well. It's the National Hurricane Center Skywarn Net on VoIP.

As far as someone in El Paso providing a feed, the distances involved & terrain make that unlikely. El Paso is at the far western corner of the state. Hudspeth is the next county east, but is extremely large. Over 4500 square miles, with terrain from 3100 ft. to over 7400 ft. So, the odds of getting a clean signal that far west are not good.

Billknn

Premium Subscriber
Hudspeth County

I live and work in El Paso (most of the time) and own land in Hudspeth County. The logistics are this:

The county seat, Sierra Blanca is approximately 100 miles from El Paso to the southeast. Due east of ELP is a mountain range that seperates El Paso and Hudspeth counties. The most powerfull repeater that I am familiar with in ELP is the EPSO VHF repeater that is located atop the Franklin Mtns in El Paso with the antenna quite a ways up a broadcast tower. It does cover into Hudspeth County to the south east very well, but not to the east past the mountain range. Conversely, the Hudspeth Co repeater is also on a mountain top and can be heard into the far eastern parts of El Paso Co. (I'm not sure about the remotes but it could be looked up.) Reliably monitoring Hudspeth Co would depend on where one lived in ELP Co AND the type and elevation of the antenna. I believe that an outside hi band yagi with hardline in east El Paso might do the trick but we're getting pretty far away from the casual monitor's station.

Hudspeth Co is one of, if not the most, sparsely populated counties in the state, and as previously mentioned, it's BIG. One advantage for the listener is that it's "low tech" radio wise - all Hi band VHF.

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
I live and work in El Paso (most of the time) and own land in Hudspeth County. The logistics are this:

The county seat, Sierra Blanca is approximately 100 miles from El Paso to the southeast. Due east of ELP is a mountain range that seperates El Paso and Hudspeth counties. The most powerfull repeater that I am familiar with in ELP is the EPSO VHF repeater that is located atop the Franklin Mtns in El Paso with the antenna quite a ways up a broadcast tower. It does cover into Hudspeth County to the south east very well, but not to the east past the mountain range. Conversely, the Hudspeth Co repeater is also on a mountain top and can be heard into the far eastern parts of El Paso Co. (I'm not sure about the remotes but it could be looked up.) Reliably monitoring Hudspeth Co would depend on where one lived in ELP Co AND the type and elevation of the antenna. I believe that an outside hi band yagi with hardline in east El Paso might do the trick but we're getting pretty far away from the casual monitor's station.

Hudspeth Co is one of, if not the most, sparsely populated counties in the state, and as previously mentioned, it's BIG. One advantage for the listener is that it's "low tech" radio wise - all Hi band VHF.

Agreed. I was in Van Horn a few nights back in August. I could hear Hudspeth's VHF repeater. Even as far west as Van Horn is, it is still two plus hours to El Paso.

axam2

Premium Subscriber
That "amateur radio feed" you're seeing under Hudspeth County is not local. In fact, you'll find that exact same feed listed under most counties, not only in Texas, but other states as well. It's the National Hurricane Center Skywarn Net on VoIP.

As far as someone in El Paso providing a feed, the distances involved & terrain make that unlikely. El Paso is at the far western corner of the state. Hudspeth is the next county east, but is extremely large. Over 4500 square miles, with terrain from 3100 ft. to over 7400 ft. So, the odds of getting a clean signal that far west are not good.

Sorry about the delay. I have tried to get Hudspeth for you. I cant receive a good signal.

Axam

scanphreak

Axam I appreciate you trying. To the others I wasn't aware the distance from el paso to Hudspeth was so far away, I just looked on the RR feed map for reference. I wasn't aware that amateur feed was a nationwide feed either. Thanks for the information.

Status
Not open for further replies.