Huge antenna tower erected at the Malton GO Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

02blackss

Premium Subscriber
Hey everyone, I noticed a few days ago a new tower that went up right next to the railway tracks at the Malton GO station near the airport. I do not believe it is celluar from looking at it. Has anyone seen it or know what it might be used for? There are some antenna's on it, not sure what they are however. not yagi's thats for sure...they are stretched oval kinda shape pointing directly towards YYZ.

I will try to get a picture of it once the train stops at malton on my way home tonight. WIll be a cell phone pic so lets see how it turns out..

Cheers,

Jason

mrweather

"Stretched oval" means they're folded dipoles which are very common commercial antennas. Depending on the size of "oval" they could be low-band, VHF or UHF (and I suppose 800 MHz as well but I don't think I've seen them before). They also tend to be stacked one on top of the other.

It could be something to do with GO transit or CN rail as they own the tracks there. A pic would help. :)

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Looks like a Sinclair 210-C4 or the Comprod equivalent and the elements are 1/2wave spaced... Either way I'm 110% sure it is VHF-Hi. Looks like there may be another antenna on there as well, but can't tell for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
No, it's easy to tell. 210C4 or similar as kayn1n32008 said.

Agreed. Between the guy standing in the picture and with the half wave spacing(1m-ish) of the antenna, you can 'measure' the tower... around 30m... makes me 200% that is a VHF-Hi antenna. The only guess is what frequencies willl be used there because if that is a Sinclair 210-C4 it will be resonant across the whole VHF-Hi band.

Last edited:

ATCTech

I tried a location based search from 30-960MHz last night. There's nothing at all obvious in the TAFL for that area up to 4km out. I'd also surmize this has to do with Metrolinx and the Pearson Rail development.... time will tell.

Last edited:

02blackss

Premium Subscriber
I will check again tonight, but the cabling does not appear to be hooked up to anything yet. Also, there is a portable generator there and it does not appear to be running.. I find it odd that it would be for the new UP Express....The siding that goes in to the airport cuts off around the 427, this antenna is at the malton go which is a substantial distance away. Why would they put it there ?? The antennas are pointing directly to the airport however...

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I will check again tonight, but the cabling does not appear to be hooked up to anything yet. Also, there is a portable generator there and it does not appear to be running.. I find it odd that it would be for the new UP Express....The siding that goes in to the airport cuts off around the 427, this antenna is at the malton go which is a substantial distance away. Why would they put it there ?? The antennas are pointing directly to the airport however...
The antenna is not overly directional, so do not let the actual element direction inflence what you think its for.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
The antenna is not overly directional, so do not let the actual element direction inflence what you think its for.

This is interesting. I used to work for a company that provides and builds the infastructure for radio, wireless, and other forms of communication. It looks like the type of antennas I used to buy from a company in Ireland that a good many companies were able to buy from us.

I have a feeling like it has been mentioned here before that these are probably for the new PIA to Union fast train, maybe to cover an area from Malton, not all that far from PIA at all.

You can probably ask your city councillor what this is, its an election year and a special one cause Hazel is stepping down from her broom after 40 years in office.

Status
Not open for further replies.