HUGE Ducting event next 2 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
OK guys gals and chillun of alll ages! If your into the fascinating art of monitoring long range comms vias Tropo Ducting, and or skip in all its forms.. Get your search keys hot! Big time ducting from AM Friday the 22nd through night of Saturday the 23rd.

KE5TLF

Yeah glad you brought that up. I was having fun with it Mon. and Tues. and it wasn't nearly as good then as it is supposed to be Fri./Sat. I was picking up numerous VHF agencies out to 120 miles then.

A good opportunity to find some missing CTCSS/DCS information too.

nexus

Sweet I'll see who I can work... I remember way back when, I use to work stations on simplex in Galveston Texas on 5 watts FM with a ringo-ranger only up 5 meters.

For anyone interested here's a really good forcasting website for tropo. Judging by the map it looks like the gulf coast is going to have moderate to good condx on Friday. Tropospheric Ducting Forecast for VHF & UHF Radio & TV

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
Last week was amazing. We here hearing 2-meter Amateur Radio repeaters from as far south as Alabama and Mississippi up here in Michigan. However, the best catch I had was the 147.180 repeater out of Salt Lake City, Utah. They were booming in at S-4 at my home QTH. Likewise, I was also hearing a few 460 MHz public safety agencies from New Jersey here in Michigan as well.

That had to be the best band opening I have ever heard.

73s

Ron

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
So far the storm systems that have been running through have had massive ducting in VHF Lo VHF Hi, and UHF.. The UHF seems to propogate well in winter ducting... Not often that it happens at all... I did have a 700 MHz duct bounce up from LA the other night, lasted for about an hour. From the charts, and from the way this storm system is shaping up, this will be interesting... Listen to good stuff and hope the lightening and twisters don't pop off too badly.. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.