Huh? LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka5lqj

Ok,

It order to get a "better understanding" of what is "available" out there for my listening pleasure, I typed in "F.C.C. Band Plan" in Google. The search turned up a site: www.w2aee.columbia.edu. It "seemed" to be through from the Broadcast band up to 300 gigs.

So, I took the listings from 150.775 mhz and started searching for agencies in Louisiana & Texas within a 125 mile radius of Shreveport, LA. This would give me something to "shoot for" as far as knowing each "active" agency to try and capture. In vewing some of these agencies, I'm finding "missing" frequencies, such as 150.805 mhz, that are Fire Mobile frequencies, not on W2AEE's list.

So, my "questions" are:

# 1. IS there a more "complete" list of available frequencies?

# 2. Does anyone know the website?

I'm sure the F.C.C. isn't going to "post" some "secret" frequencies that are assigned to certain Federal (DEA, FBI, ATF, etc.) or Military frequencies for their Homeland Security status. However, it would be nice to at least have a "complete breakdown" of the different assigned bands.

I have a 'sneaking suspicion', that as soon as possible, most police, fire, local, county (parish), state, & federal frequencies will be "digital" and unscramableable (?) so that even "John or Jane Q. Public" can't hear them.....there are strange things afoot. ;-)

Now, in my "monitoring", I don't jump in my vehicle and race out to an "incident" and keep the necessary personel from doing their job. I don't use my scanners to avoid being caught "speeding". I *do* use my scanners to avoid traffic tie-ups due to wrecks and fires or keep away from where they ARE doing a hostage situation. (I don't mind the bullets that have MY "name" on them, it's the one's that say, "To Whom It May Concern", that bother me, LOL!)

Well, if anyone knows of a more "complete list", say from 30 khz to say "Light", so I could actually "LQ^QK UP" the stations call, location, and output power, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,

Respectfully submitted,

Don/KA5-LQJ

fineshot1

Please Clarify

Don - not sure what you are looking for - please clarify.

What do you mean " IS there a more "complete" list of available frequencies? "?

Are you looking for a frequency to apply for a license to use?

Are you simply looking for a band channelization plan for each band?

Are you looking for license data close to you for scanning purposes?

Please try and be more specific as to what you are looking for.

mrsvensven

ka5lqj said:
Ok,

It order to get a "better understanding" of what is "available" out there for my listening pleasure, I typed in "F.C.C. Band Plan" in Google. The search turned up a site: www.w2aee.columbia.edu. It "seemed" to be through from the Broadcast band up to 300 gigs.

So, I took the listings from 150.775 mhz and started searching for agencies in Louisiana & Texas within a 125 mile radius of Shreveport, LA. This would give me something to "shoot for" as far as knowing each "active" agency to try and capture. In vewing some of these agencies, I'm finding "missing" frequencies, such as 150.805 mhz, that are Fire Mobile frequencies, not on W2AEE's list.

So, my "questions" are:

# 1. IS there a more "complete" list of available frequencies?
I looked through that site, and couldn't fine the band plan you talked about. The one I have bookmarked is this one, which i just realized must be the same one you are referring to.

I think it's a pretty good list. As the person above said, I'm not really sure what you are trying to do.

The correct channel spacing for VHF is 7.5 KHz, even though most scanners default to 5KHz. If you were searching with a 5KHz step, your scanner may stop on 151.260 even if the correct frequency is 151.265.

Also, many of those descriptions are obsolete. The FCC no longer has separate bands for fire and police, it's all in the "PW" public safety pool. In my area public safety is starting to get licensed in other weird places, like 151 and 31 MHz. I'm not exactly sure what the channel pools are, but it's newer than that list.

ka5lqj said:
I'm sure the F.C.C. isn't going to "post" some "secret" frequencies that are assigned to certain Federal (DEA, FBI, ATF, etc.) or Military frequencies for their Homeland Security status. However, it would be nice to at least have a "complete breakdown" of the different assigned bands.
The FCC has nothing to do with these frequencies. The federal bands are not licensed by the FCC and as far as I know, the licenses here are not listed online. Many of the more common frequencies are posted online, and of course you could search through the federal band.

ka5lqj said:
I have a 'sneaking suspicion', that as soon as possible, most police, fire, local, county (parish), state, & federal frequencies will be "digital" and unscramableable (?) so that even "John or Jane Q. Public" can't hear them.....there are strange things afoot. ;-)
It's possible, and I'm not touching this one.

ka5lqj said:
Well, if anyone knows of a more "complete list", say from 30 khz to say "Light", so I could actually "LQ^QK UP" the stations call, location, and output power, it would be greatly appreciated.
I don't think there is such a list. The FCC will list licensed stations, but they don't keep track of CTCSS/DCS tones or output power. If you have an unidentified frequency most people use a combination of internet databases (including this site) and the FCC database.

Last edited:

fineshot1

mrsvensven said:
I looked through that site, and couldn't fine the band plan you talked about. The one I have bookmarked is this one, which i just realised must be the same one you are referring to.

Thats an old consolidated frequency listing which does not have the new narrow band splinter channels listed so it is incomplete. It needs to be updated but does have some good info. The "last Police Call" edition had a CD Rom which had a lot of info on it plus a pdf file that has all the new narrow band splinter channel listings.

n8emr

mrsvensven said:
I don't think there is such a list. The FCC will list licensed stations, but they don't keep track of CTCSS/DCS tones or output power. If you have an unidentified frequency most people use a combination of internet databases (including this site) and the FCC database.

Sure the FCC keeps track of output power. Tone no, thats for your local frequency coordinator to assign, but power yes the fcc knows.

ka5lqj

Explanation......

fineshot1 said:
Don - not sure what you are looking for - please clarify.

What do you mean " IS there a more "complete" list of available frequencies? "?

Are you looking for a frequency to apply for a license to use?

Are you simply looking for a band channelization plan for each band?

Are you looking for license data close to you for scanning purposes?

Please try and be more specific as to what you are looking for.

Ok,

Is there a more "channelized" frequency list that would enable one to look up the frequencies for the various "agencies" and again I'm only looking for fire, police, city government, county/parish government, state government, and federal agencies within a certain geographical area. I don't want the "Dog Catcher, plumbing permits, streets & drainage, just things that deal with "emergency traffic". I could care less when the garbage is picked up or a pothole is fixed in a town say 60 miles away.

Now, what I'm doing is "compiling" a data base on a Quattro 10 spreadsheet, that will let me "look-up" and/or have a "hard copy" of agencies within say a 100 mile radius of my QTH, in Shreveport, LA. so that I can "monitor" their "radio traffic" during an 'emergency' (train derailment, 18-wheeler turn-over, etc.) and a bad weather (Skywarn) event.

I've been a trained Skywarn spotter for years. While I can't get to the local Shreveport NOAA Wx office, I do help when and where I can. I'm building a 2 meter, wooden, long-boom Quad antenna (vertically polarized) that will go up about 40 feet. The two-fold purpose of this is to go to the "input" (146.07) of the local, wide-area repeater and "listen" for the marginal stations that can't quite "make it in", because the wind (at the 1160' level) where the repeater is located is making too much "noise" for them to be copied.

During a Skywarn event, tornado's, severe thunder & lightning storms, and straight-line winds, we have ham stations trying to "check-in" from sometimes 100 miles out. Not only does the local NOAA Wx Service need this information, but also those in the direct path, immediately, or just out-of-range of that stations ability to contact us and for those needing the information or conditions to be informed and warned

By my having this database, I'll be able to program my various scanners to "monitor" those agencies as well. So, should the police, say in Hawkins, TX or down around Lufkin, TX report to their "base" about weather conditons, damage, or a call for help be put out, I can "pass it on" through the 146.67 (KE5-SAJ, ARCoS), K5-SHV, Skywarn, repeater and thus telling others in the process. I'm NOT looking for "praise" or "glory". I simply wish to warn folks enough ahead of time for them to have adaquate time to react and get to safety. I know I would certainly appreciate knowing early enough. ;-)

Other than that, I have absolutely NO desire to go to fire scenes, drug bust, avoid license or speed checks from the fire or police departments. During good wx times, I'll have plenty of "space" on the scanners to monitor the 10 meter, 6 meter, 2 meter and 70 cm Ham FM repeaters for band "openings", while I'm either listening to cw, ssb, am and digital modes on my Icom 706MkII-G transciever.

Now, having taken a l-o-n-g time to explain my intentions (I do get long-winded), I hope each of you has a better understanding. As Cycle 24 moves into it's better "climb", the MUF (Maximum Usable Frequency) will also go up, making Low-band, (25-50 mhz) Hi-band, (150-174 mhz), & lo-band UHF, (406-512 mhz) DX possible. So, be like a Boy Scout....."Be Prepared". ;-)

Respectfully submitted,
73 (Best Regard),

Don/KA5-LQJ
Pro-26
Pro-58
Pro-94 (plain)
Pro-95
Pro-2045
Pro-2051
Icom 706MkII-G
Radio $hack HTX-100
Radio $hack HTX-10
Heathkit 2036
Heathkit SB-220
Kenwood "Twins"

ka5lqj

Addendum....

I forgot to mention.....

I know that I'm probabaly not going to be able to hear a "mobile" say on the 450-512 mhz band with, say, 40 watts, say 60 miles away, but just on the "off-chance" I catch an opening or band enhancement, I'd still like that opportunity to hear them. Should the wooden, long-boom, work out, I'll build a 2nd one and put an on-antenna amplifier to hear better, but use quad-shielded coax to keep the "noise floor" at a minimum.

Today, I'm putting up a 4' fiberglass CB whip here to "monitor" the 25-50 mhz band (FM), with the R$ 2045. I'm programming in the low-band fire and police agencies within a 200 mile radius, LOL!

Well, I'd better get rollin', I'm "burning daylight", he he.

Respectfully,

Don/KA5-LQJ

Tommahawk

KA5LQJ;

Why don't you download the frequencies/agencies you need from here? I would consider Radioreference.com probably one of the best sources since Fordyce is no longer actively updating the frequencies.

Just a thought from a passing gust of wind........

fineshot1

Sent you a PDF

Don - I sent you a PDF file to your qrz email address. Its the "Police Call" consolidated frequency listing from the last edition sold(i think that was 2006). It may help you get started with the spread sheet list you wish to create. Thats about all I can do for you & good luck....

nd5y

ka5lqj

Opps! My "bad"...

Hi,

I "thought" I had changed my e-mail address on www.qrz.com, when I went back to my original call, KA5LQJ. But, having looked for the e-file that was sent to be, so graciously, I've discovered, I didn't make the change in QRZ. :-(

So, for those who wish to send me e-mail or "e-mauls" (flames), my new email address is:
KA5(dot)LQJ(at)gmail.com . Sorry 'bout that.

I got up waaaaaay too early, because of my allergies, and now that the meds are working, I'm going back-to-bed.

Respectfully,

Don/KA5-LQJ

ka5lqj

Good Information.....

mrsvensven said:
The correct channel spacing for VHF is 7.5 KHz, even though most scanners default to 5KHz. If you were searching with a 5KHz step, your scanner may stop on 151.260 even if the correct frequency is 151.265.

Also, many of those descriptions are obsolete. The FCC no longer has separate bands for fire and police, it's all in the "PW" public safety pool. In my area public safety is starting to get licensed in other weird places, like 151 and 31 MHz. I'm not exactly sure what the channel pools are, but it's newer than that list.

The FCC has nothing to do with these frequencies. The federal bands are not licensed by the FCC and as far as I know, the licenses here are not listed online. Many of the more common frequencies are posted online, and of course you could search through the federal band.

It's possible, and I'm not touching this one.

Well,

The spacing has changed then....Duhhhh, my bad, LOL! The FCC database is from the W2AEE, Columbia University Ham Club site. I guess they are a little "behind in the times" as I am. I'm used to 15 khz, 20 khz, 25 khz, & even 30 khz spreads. Someone (I don't remember, mentioned "narrow band mode". This must be the 7.5 khz channels and I'm not sure ANY of my scanners would detect this. I have the Marshall, TX Police Dept on 155.800, but their comms sound "off frequency" on my Pro-95 for some reason. Too bad I don't have a "RIT" to tune it in, LOL!

You're right, the Feds don't really "publish" where they are. You have to set your scanner to scan a broad area of frequencies outside the "norm" to hear them. Usually their comms are very short and location information isn't given. Playing the *Homeland Security* card and moving all the Fire, Police, etc to the 700 mhz band and using scrambling only FEEDS the "Conspiracy Theory" AND the fact the Feds have been "arming" city, county, & state police with military grade weapons, LOL! I would venture to say they are using cell 'phones now. Besides being illegal to "monitor" cell 'phone traffic, it's BORING!, LOL! One can only imagine hearing two ladies going on all day 'bout "shopping", Uggh!

As far as the "Conspiracy" theory goes........I certainly am entitled to my "opinion" as to what I know, observed, or heard. Let's just "agree to disagree", he he. I'll respect and fight for EACH of you "opinions" as well.

CTCSS/DCS or even CSQ "tones" are not required on a scanner to "hear" the repeater or station. They are nice to know, but unless you work for that agency and have THEIR transciever or HT, you don't need to know. By publishing the codes, along with other data, that opens the door for someone with a modified "rig" to illegally transmit, blocking emergency traffic.

We get "keyer's" on ham band repeaters, who don't ID or go into long tirades, tying up the repeater and will not yield it to emergency communications, the JERKS! This is certainly deplorable and when found, they ought to throw the jerk in Solitary for the rest of his life! <===IMHO

I'm sure at least some of you are ham radio operators, some may even have HF gear.....I love to "ragchew". So, later, when the 75 meter "modified" Double Bazooka goes up in the "Inverted V", maybe we all can get together on a frequency and discuss "scanning", the "Good Ol' Days of tube radios", chat about the weather, our families, etc. I'll leave the gardening tips, cooking, and crafts to Martha Stewart, LOL!

Well, it's nearly 9:40 am (1440 hrs Zulu) and I haven't had breakfast. Since it's overcast, I think I'll fix some "Georgia Ice Cream"...Grits and a couple of those link sausages.

Blessings ALL,
Keep your powder dry & watch your 'top knot',

Don/KA5-LQJ

fineshot1

Don - I re-sent you that pdf file and it has a lot of updated info.

Regarding the quote below:
Originally Posted by mrsvensven
"The correct channel spacing for VHF is 7.5 KHz, even though most scanners default to 5KHz. If you were searching with a 5KHz step, your scanner may stop on 151.260 even if the correct frequency is 151.265"

This is true only in certain segments of the vhf-hi band but not for the entire band itself.
Some segments of the vhf-hi band the channel spacing differs so it helps to have that list I have been talking about.

captclint

Mentor
SLWilson said:
If you go to www.fcc.gov and do a search, one of the searches you can do is by zip code.
The problem with that search is that it brings up the zip code of the address for the licensee. Often, the actual transmitter is miles or even counties away. Better to do a long/lat search, which will bring up the actual antenna site.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.