Hullo From Bedford/Lynchburg/Roanoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThomasMcKean

Hi guys.

After much pondering about how I've wanted a scanner over the years, I went out a few days ago and it was pretty much an impulse buy. No regrets.

I have the cutsie little PRO-107 and the RS 800mhz antenna. Also the stock antenna and the RS telescoping antenna.

Now having only had this a few days, I am no expert, but it seems some of the frequencies in the database are incorrect?

The best example is 156.135, which is labelled as the West Tidewater Regional Jail. It seems rather to be a very active dispatch from a place called SECOMM or C-COM or whatever? Can someone tell me what that is?

Also, I have on here from the data base the Bedford County Rescue as 462.975 but I read elsewhere in this forum that it is 462.950? Do I need to change this?

My last question is about the delay. I can't get it to work? I have tried numerous settings in the software but the scanner will not delay no matter what. I have the delay on what with the capital D but still nothing? How do I activate this feature?

I am in Bedford and was surprised to see others from Bedford. We should all do Bedford' Cup-A-Joes sometime and compare notes.

Thanks in advance.

The Honorable Thomas A. McKean, HOKC

simmsrep

Premium Subscriber
You're hearing the Pittsylvania County fire and ems dispatch.

Last edited:

K9DUO

If your in Bedford, I hope your not trying to listen to the Western Tidewater Regional Jail.

K4NNW

ThomasMcKean

Thank yew for responses. New question regarding frequency 154.57. Would like to playfully (not in a mean way!) tease walmart a bit with UV-5R (using low power mode of 1 watt) and would surely prefer to do it legal. Would HAM license cover this frequency or is it blocked from useage? I can't seem to find answer on the net.?

John

Premium Subscriber
"Also, I have on here from the data base the Bedford County Rescue as 462.975 but I read elsewhere in this forum that it is 462.950? Do I need to change this?"

Last time I checked they are still transmitting on 462.975 patched with the trunking system. Also Fire traffic is on 460.600 and 460.625. All use PL of 136.5.

John

ThomasMcKean

Repeat question: How do I get the DELAY going on the PRO-107? I am doing everything I should be doing (I think?) and yet NO DELAY.

Maybe I am wrong about what the delay actually does? I'd think it is obvious, but maybe not? ACK!

Thomas

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
Hi Thomas,

If you do not get a response for your question about the delay you may try asking it under the Radio Shack scanner forum. I'd like to help... but I don't have a 107 and do not know the details of the scanner.

Also, welcome to RR!

BushDoctor

154.57 is one of the MURS license free freq provided u are usine a type accepted radio and under 2 watts but causing intentional interference with a licensed user is an unlawful use of the radio and although I am sure u can have some fun with wal-mart it might not bve the most wise thing to do.

When i was on 52.525 6 meters FM one day in West Virginia in front of the K-Mart my wife cane running out of the store to advise me I was coming in over the store audio system. I told her "Srr that power lawn mower in the window I am going to have to have a Blue Light sale on it but I thought better of it and never followed through with it.

Also where I worked many years ago between the office and garage was a wire pair for intercom system strung ans when I drove under it talking on a CB the garage mechanics told me i was broadcasting through the loud speakers on the system 1957 was the year

ThomasMcKean

154.57 is one of the MURS license free freq provided u are usine a type accepted radio and under 2 watts but causing intentional interference with a licensed user is an unlawful use of the radio and although I am sure u can have some fun with wal-mart it might not bve the most wise thing to do.

So MURS is open (I figured this all out a couple of days ago finally) but yew can also get a license to operate on it? Why would anyone need a license for an open channel? I think there is a power setting on this radio and low is around 1w or so.

When i was on 52.525 6 meters FM one day in West Virginia in front of the K-Mart my wife cane running out of the store to advise me I was coming in over the store audio system. I told her "Srr that power lawn mower in the window I am going to have to have a Blue Light sale on it but I thought better of it and never followed through with it.

May I commend yew on your discipline, Sir! I am not sure I could have resisted! Aye, it seems that owning one of these puppies is indeed a big responsibility. I have no intention of cutting in on fire/ems, but the others may be too hard to pass by. If that is the case, I may need to move on to another (and less expensive) hobby. :)

The Honorable Thomas A. McKean, HOKC

gcgrotz

Thom:

A couple of years ago there was someone, I think in Rocky Mount or down that way, that got busted for fooling with WalMart. I can't remember all the detail but I think he got a big fine and lost his Ham license.

Good reason to resist...

BTW, welcome to RR!

ThomasMcKean

Thom:

A couple of years ago there was someone, I think in Rocky Mount or down that way, that got busted for fooling with WalMart. I can't remember all the detail but I think he got a big fine and lost his Ham license.

Good reason to resist...

BTW, welcome to RR!

Yes that's a VERY good reason to resist. I wonder what the details are on that...?

I am wondering how he could have been busted seeing as Wal Mart is using public frequency? Was he being malicious at them? Cuz there is a difference between being fun and being mean...

Thomas

Last edited:

gcgrotz

I believe it was intentional, and repeated. I don't remember details though. There was quite a bit of discussion on here about it a few years back. Maybe the local newspaper wevb site would turn up something.

BushDoctor

Wal-Mart was licensed on this frequency as a bussiness band user before MURS came into existance. Although this frequency is low power all users had to be a business desiring to use low power like in plant or store comms and had to be licensed.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
Thom:

Good reason to resist...

BTW, welcome to RR!

I think it was a guy in Wytheville who had Wal-Mart in one channel, and local PD or FD in the other. Big trouble, as I recall.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

Status
Not open for further replies.