Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverspy

I was wondering if anyone had heard anything, or had any information on any upcoming changes to the
Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest radio system and frequencies? The current frequency pair is definitely not
in alignment with the new NTIA plan, and would seem to have to be changed to accommodate the new high/
low mandate. It seems that the Forest Service has been gradually phasing out 169.875 over the last few years, and this does not seem to be isolated to just one region. It seems that there are only a couple of Forests left in the West, that are still using 169.875, with the Humboldt-Toiyabe being one of them, and the
Okanogan-Wenatchee in Washington, being the other. There used to be more, but like I was saying, it seems like these have been, or are currently being phased out, with all the frequency "realignments". Anyway, any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. 😀

silverspy

I’m inquiring to see if any of the folks in Southern Nevada had any information on the new frequencies for the
Humboldt-Toiyabe. I ran across a document indicating that the frequencies had been changed from 169.875/170.475, however, did not say what the new frequencies are. Any intel would be greatly appreciated. Up here in Northern Nevada, the frequencies are still the same for now, it would seem.

silverspy

Thanks. My guesses for the new frequency are 170.475, 172.275, 172.225 or 172.250. Those would be my top picks, based on an educated guess, however, I have no way to verify this, due to the fact that they are still on 169.875 up here in Northern Nevada. If it isn’t any of those, my next choices would be 169.925,171.3875 or 170.525. And if it isn’t any of these, my theory is way off.

silverspy

The reason I mentioned 170.475 is, there are other Forests where an input of 170.475 became a new output, and 169.875 was put out of service.

silverspy

The Tonto NF in Arizona recently changed one of their nets to 170.475. 170.575 is another possibility that I was looking at for the HTF, if none of the others pan out. The document that I came across was the Las Interagency Communications Center newsletter, which stated that the Forest Service frequencies for the Las Vegas area were changed sometime last year. Up here in Northern Nevada, the Carson and Bridgeport Ranger Districts have been split into three different frequency pairs, with the Carson RD, except Leviathan Peak, remaining on 169.875. Leviathan, which covers the Carson-Iceberg Wilderness and the back country south of Markleeville, California. The Bridgeport Ranger District, part of which includes the area around Hawthorne, Nevada is now on 170.525, as of last fall. I find it interesting that in the area of increasing frequency and spectrum efficiency, that Leviathan is on a frequency by itself, so I don’t know if the rest of the Carson RD will be changed to 172.275, as Leviathan was, or if there is a whole other frequency that we don’t know about yet. Leviathan was on a separate frequency than the rest of the Carson RD, before these other changes, 169.975, now 172.275, so that’s why I was wondering about changes down there in Southern Nevada.

silverspy

Up here in Northern Nevada, there are about 16 frequency pairs that are being taken up by Forests adjacent to the HTF in Region 5, which narrows down what any new frequencies for the HTF could be. I thought you may also find it interesting that, your new BLM frequency is used for a Service Net frequency on a couple Forests on Region 5, which indicates there is some crossover occurring between Forest Service and Dept of Interior frequencies, which I have run across, however I would say is a fairly rare situation.

com501

You can't get to many of these mountaintops until August due to snow load. Look for changes after the snow melts enough to get in by snowcat (if safe enough) or other means.

silverspy

Having said all that,I know of only two other situations in the West, where there is only one Repeater assigned to a single frequency pair, and those are on the Fremont-Winema National Forests in Region 6, and the Bitterroot National Forest in Region 1.

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber
HTF is assisting CCFD with an incident in Indian Springs. I've been parked on 169.8750 for the last 30-40 minutes and have not heard a thing. I think its safe to say they've changed frequencies.

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber
I have multiple receivers searching 162 - 174 MHz. HTF usually has morning roll call around 8AM, morning fire weather at 10AM, and afternoon fire weather at 4PM -- I didn't hear anything at all today. Either I'm in a dead spot or they're gone.

gvranchosbill

I live a few miles from Sierra Front Interagency Dispatch Center and i will take a listen to the 162 - 174 mhz portion tomorrow if i remember and see what i come up with also i spotted a pick up truck today that had BLM FIRE on door in gardnerville today i noticed had 2 personel onboard.
Im noting currently 169.8750 output (CSQ) 170.4750 input tone 3 (131.8) Hawkins Pk and tone 9 (100.0) McClellan Pk still active and 169.9750 output (CSQ) 171.4250 input tone 8 (103.5) Leviathan Pk is not.
Im still waiting to see if anything new pops up.
I have 1 scanner searching and another 1 dedicated to a freq not yet determined.

Last edited:

silverspy

Info. Leviathan is now supposed to be on 172.275. I am not able to hear Leviathan where I’m at, so I’m not able to verify this.

Status
Not open for further replies.