Hunters and marine radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcole

Watching one of those game warden shows on tv last night the warden was busting a group of bear hunters in California. They were running too many dogs at one time.
During his interview one suspects wife grabbed a mike to warn the guys in the field.
They zoomed in as the warden reached for the radio to stop her and guess what it was, yup a mounted marine radio. He even went so far as to borrow one of their marine hand helds to keep in touch with them while locating the rest of the crew. After he wrote them their citation I thought it was a shame he was clueless about their use
of illegal equipement.

RohnsRadio

Premium Subscriber
true , but really he cant enforce FCC regs. that has been to court before. he can seize the radio but the owner will more than likely get it back.
i heard that game warrdens or whatever they call them in the state of VA was issueing tickets for useing marine radios on land. not real sure how legal that is either.

pcole

marine radios

Very good on him not being able to enforce the FCC rules but I was surprised
he made no mention of the problem. It's just another of those unenforcable deals.
And a lack of education.

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
I`ve heard guys hunting cyotes up in my end of this state (NW WI). For the most part folks really just blow it off, as there`s not that many hunting parties doing it (at least up where i come from anyway :)). I`ve heard transmissions on a few marine channels from my folks` place, heard `em for at least a few miles, and all they`re using is mobile marine radios, they used to use CB but now seem to have found that VHF marine has less traffic (and they haven`t been caught...yet :)). N9NRA

nonperson

FWIW State and local law enforcement (usually) can only enforce their respective state laws. In some cases sates may include certain federal statutes within their respective state's law. Probably the most common example is the commercial vehicle laws.
So even if they are aware of the FCC's RULES they most likely have no authority, as STATE officers to seize equipment or enforce the FCC's rules. The best the could do is pass on the information to the FCC unless or until the state enacts a law that would cover this activity.
IMO if anyone deserves harsh treatment from the FCC it would be jerks like these idiots. Marine radios are for marine use! If you want to use two way radios for dog hunting use a CB radio. BTW I miss dog hunting and using the CB radio to hunt. :D Probably what got me interested in radios.

jaymatt1978

I just say jam the ever living daylights on of the hunters. They have plenty of other frequencies, MURS, FRS, etc. I don't know why they insist on using the marine band illegally

rescuecomm

They have plenty of other frequencies, MURS, FRS, etc. I don't know why they insist on using the marine band illegally

Not really. There are no mobile or portable MURS radios at the local sports store. The 1/2 watt FRS radios are extremely short ranged in wooded terrain. GMRS mobiles are not sold at the local sports store and the portables are of low quality.

Around here, there are bear hunters using 2 meter ham radios on 147.800 in spite of being warned off several times. Why, because they are cheap and they work.

There is a need for an unlicensed 25 watt radio service with reasonable range and number of channels to support outdoor inland activities. With the public safety exodus from the VHF low bands, a number of frequencies should be available. Seems that the FCC is not concerned with creating radio services that don't create sizeable tax monies on a monthly basis as in cell or internet devices.

Bob

COMINT_NE

Key up illegally on certain Marine frequencies in areas covered by Rescue21, and you are likely to get visited by a helicopter.

w2smw

It's reallity TV, it was just what was was in the script. The radio were probably just prop radios and not even real. None of this stuff on TV is for real and what is real has been edited to the point of what the production people want you to see and not what is really happening, if it were real, it would be very boring. But that is just my 2cents worth

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

We don't need another radio service. We need quality, purpose-built equipment for the MURS and GMRS bands to be more widely available. Especially for the MURS band, and especially mobiles. You said it yourself, the equipment isn't available.

nonperson

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

We don't need another radio service. We need quality, purpose-built equipment for the MURS and GMRS bands to be more widely available. Especially for the MURS band, and especially mobiles. You said it yourself, the equipment isn't available.

Agree!

Growing up we used barefoot CB radios (as did others) while hunting. Never had any problems contacting another person on them.

COMINT_NE

Agree!

Growing up we used barefoot CB radios (as did others) while hunting. Never had any problems contacting another person on them.

Do you remember the "portable" adapters for mobile CBs with the long telescoping whip and 10 D-Cells, that you slung over your shoulder? Almost, but not quite as bad as humping a Prick-77. Then you had the rubber duck antennas from Radio Shack that fitted over a collapsed whip antenna and were held in place with a set screw.

nonperson

Do you remember the "portable" adapters for mobile CBs with the long telescoping whip and 10 D-Cells, that you slung over your shoulder? Almost, but not quite as bad as humping a Prick-77. Then you had the rubber duck antennas from Radio Shack that fitted over a collapsed whip antenna and were held in place with a set screw.

We never used anything like that on the CBs but I had some experience with the PRC 77. :) I heard of the rubber duck antenna you speak of and I do remember an old movie from the 80s where they used some telescoping antennas, on foot, with what appeared to be mobile CB radios.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
And MURS won't interfere with legitimate users, unlike Marine radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.