Hunters on 154.295

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfburns

The hunters are using 154.295 again this year. Hunters have also been heard on 153.83 in past years. Unless DOW has changed the rules, it is supposed to be illegal to actively hunt and use communications devices. I wonder if they could be HAZMAT guys or maybe old Weld Co radios?

Gilligan

Database Admin
If you can copy a PL tone, you should be able to ID the agency really easily.... That freq is FERN 2 (forest service fire) as well.

yooperinco

rfburns said:
The hunters are using 154.295 again this year. Hunters have also been heard on 153.83 in past years. Unless DOW has changed the rules, it is supposed to be illegal to actively hunt and use communications devices. I wonder if they could be HAZMAT guys or maybe old Weld Co radios?

WHAT????!!!!! Can't use 2 way radio's while hunting??????? What's that all about????? I'm going to have to re-read the small game regs

rfburns

yooperinco said:
WHAT????!!!!! Can't use 2 way radio's while hunting??????? What's that all about????? I'm going to have to re-read the small game regs

Here is the Statute part of it. Maybe there is something more specific in the rules, but I don't have time to look. If you don't violate another article or rule maybe it is OK now.

33-6-124. Use of a motor vehicle or aircraft.

Statute text

(2) It is unlawful for any person airborne in any aircraft to spot or locate any wildlife and communicate its location to a person on the ground as an aid to hunting or pursuing wildlife; and it is unlawful for such airborne person or person on the ground receiving such communication to pursue, hunt, or take game on the same day or the day following such flight. A person who violates this subsection (2) is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by a fine of two thousand dollars and an assessment of fifteen license suspension points.

(3) It is unlawful for two or more people on the ground, in a motor vehicle, or in a vessel to use electronic devices to communicate information in the furtherance of a violation of articles 1 to 6 of this title or of a commission rule. A person who violates this subsection (3) is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by a fine of two hundred dollars and an assessment of fifteen license suspension points.

TITLE 33
WILDLIFE AND PARKS AND OUTDOOR RECREATION

Article
WILDLIFE
Art. 1. Wildlife - General Provisions, 33-1-101 to 33-1-124.
Art. 2. Nongame and Endangered Species Conservation, 33-2-101 to 33-2-108.
Art. 3. Damage by Wildlife, 33-3-101 to 33-3-204.
Art. 4. Licenses, Certificates, and Fees, 33-4-101 to 33-4-120.
Art. 5. Protection of Fishing Streams, 33-5-101 to 33-5-107.
Art. 5.5. Fish Health Board, 33-5.5-101 and 33-5.5-102.
Art. 6. Law Enforcement and Penalties, 33-6-101 to 33-6-209.

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
A friend of mine who is a hunter tells me that it's illegal to use 2-way radios to tell other hunters where thier prey is. Using them for other purposes is OK. As I read the statute quoted above, it seems to me that it says using 2-way radios while committing another infraction is in and of itself a violation.
On the other hand, the DOW can implement "rules" which won't be listed in the Colorado Revised Statutes. It's possible that there is a DOW "rule" which says no using 2-way radios while hunting.

yooperinco

radio

I don't have an issue with it being againt the law, rule, regulation, or whatever, to use 2 way radios to pursue game, but I hope it's not legal to use them for instances like "Hey, the weather is getting bad, lets head back to the truck" or "Hey, was that you that just shot" ect ect.

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
My understanding is that the intent is to prohibit coordination of tracking or actual hunting. Use of radios by persons within a party for other coordination or safety purposes is lawful. And what about cellphones?

Status
Not open for further replies.