Status
Not open for further replies.

adterra

Hello everyone!

Q. What is my best antenna choice?

This question is a continuation from the original subject found in the
CB Radio Forum / Hunting Radios thread.
Hunting Radios

I got some great start up advice for my application but now it's time to start talking GMRS antennas for that same application.

I decided to go with the Motorola Talkabout Distance DPS HT with the Argent simplex repeater.
https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/p...products_id=98

The low power consumption coupled with its removable antenna and mobility were the foremost deciding factors.

As mentioned in the other thread, this will be set up in a small cabin connected to
a 30 watt solar panel and an 86 amp. hour gel-cell battery.

Terrain - thick brush and very hilly.
The Cabin is on the high ground and will have a 20 foot mast attached putting the antenna approximately 25 or so feet in the air.
I only really need to get out around a mile or so.

Suggestions?

adterra

No takers?

I thought it was a good question in the appropriate thread.
With all the views to date, you would have thought >somebody< may have ventured a, ...guess?

Interesting, ...

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
Homebrew Antenna

For me, in these frequencies, this is the ticket. Even if your soldering skills are as sad as mine, this is pretty easy. I simplified it a little, and it works great. Just adjust the math for the frequencies you are using, ie, aim for about 462-467 mhz.

Lemme know if you are interested on my input how to do this a little more easily.

JB

adterra

For me, in these frequencies, this is the ticket. Even if your soldering skills are as sad as mine, this is pretty easy. I simplified it a little, and it works great. Just adjust the math for the frequencies you are using, ie, aim for about 462-467 mhz.

Lemme know if you are interested on my input how to do this a little more easily.

JB

Thanks, ...and yes!

I (think) I have made up my mind on this antenna, DPD Productions - GMRS Base & Mobile Antennas
combined with 100' of Davis RF 9914F BURY-FLEX with n-connectors.

Waddaya think?

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
Sounds fine

DPD antenna's have been well regarded from what I read. That model looks like a reasonable choice.
Why 100 feet of cable? As always use the shortest possible run, because attentuation at UHF frequencies can be significant.

Regarding the do it yourself approach, my principal change is to use another quarter inch element at the bottom, instead of trying to crimp on a circular piece of sheet metal. This works fine b/c I was enclosing the whole thing in pvc, rather like that DPD antenna.

adterra

Why 100 feet of cable?
As always use the shortest possible run, because attenuation at UHF frequencies can be significant.
I was using 100' feet as a worst case scenario requirement for this set-up.
I may be able to get away with say, 60' feet, but won't know until I get back to the lease where my tallest point is located.

Regarding the do it yourself approach, my principal change is to use another quarter inch element at the bottom, instead of trying to crimp on a circular piece of sheet metal. This works fine b/c I was enclosing the whole thing in pvc, rather like that DPD antenna.
Sounds interesting but I'm not following you here. (scratches head)
I was under the impression that my antenna choice was, ready - to - go, right out of the box.

It almost sounds like you are offering a mod to make it even better?

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
Sorry the ants are fine

Sorry. I misread your reply to indicate you wanted more info. on my tweaks to the homebrew antennas.
The DPD models indeed look ready to go, out of box.

JB

Status
Not open for further replies.