• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Hunting Radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

adterra

You might consider the MFJ-662 "MFJ Pocket Repeater"

MFJ Enterprises Inc.

MSRP = $89

Oh, and speaking of antennas. My personal favorite for a very inexpensive MURS antenna is to find a bargain, widebanded (6mhz), 6db
gain Shakespeare marine vertical. It will receive all MURS channels well, but transmit should be limited MURS 4 and 5 (ie, the 154mhz channels), because that's closer to where the antenna is matched. I picked up one of these on ebay for about $35 on closeout a few years ago.
Thx!!!

adterra

"You are going to help me get a better overall GMRS signal, (dirt cheap) …aren't you?"
Dammit Jim, I'm a surgeon, not a bricklayer! (;->)

I'm seriously out of my league here so I'm questioning the legality of a simplex repeater on other than Amateur VHF/UHF frequencies. Hopefully this will get a proper answer and keep you out of trouble should such operation be against the rules.
Well, …at least you got me off the fence, …give yourself a couple of points for that!

One thing I must say is experience has told me that a PL tone is a must or everything any repeater hears will be repeated and confuse the hell out of everybody. (;->)
PL tone?

FYI -
Intelligence scale = Digital / Analog / House painter
:(

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
Pl Tone

A Pl tone (originally stood for "Private Line," I think a proprietary term from GE) also goes by other names including, interference eliminator and CTCSS (the most generic general term). When the radio transmits, it also sends along some bass (ie, a tone between 300 and 67 hz, there are about 20 or so to choose from). The speak on your little handheld can't reproduce this low tone, but a circuit detects it, and without it, you won't hear someone talking. So it's a way for you to avoid hearing say, the local walmart that might be grandfathered in to use a murs frequency, formerly known as "Red Dot."

If all the radios send and decode the same PL tone, you will only hear each other, unless someone else within range of you, starts sending out the same tone (not likely in the woods). Essenentially, any reasonably modern radios you get your hands one can send and receive/decode these tones. Using PL tones is a very good idea, and once they are set, you won't notice them at all.

For an example as to how they work, if you've ever used an FRS/GMRS bubble pack radio, you might notice it has two numbers, one for the channel number another for a code you can set. On some of the ones I use, channel 8, with code 13, comes out to something like 462.xxx mhz with a 127.3 hz tone, or so. Now I don't hear every kid in the neighrbood, just mine when he calls.

JB

adterra

A Pl tone (originally stood for "Private Line," I think a proprietary term from GE) also goes by other names including, interference eliminator and CTCSS (the most generic general term). When the radio transmits, it also sends along some bass (ie, a tone between 300 and 67 hz, there are about 20 or so to choose from). The speak on your little handheld can't reproduce this low tone, but a circuit detects it, and without it, you won't hear someone talking. So it's a way for you to avoid hearing say, the local walmart that might be grandfathered in to use a murs frequency, formerly known as "Red Dot."

If all the radios send and decode the same PL tone, you will only hear each other, unless someone else within range of you, starts sending out the same tone (not likely in the woods). Essenentially, any reasonably modern radios you get your hands one can send and receive/decode these tones. Using PL tones is a very good idea, and once they are set, you won't notice them at all.

For an example as to how they work, if you've ever used an FRS/GMRS bubble pack radio, you might notice it has two numbers, one for the channel number another for a code you can set. On some of the ones I use, channel 8, with code 13, comes out to something like 462.xxx mhz with a 127.3 hz tone, or so. Now I don't hear every kid in the neighrbood, just mine when he calls.

JB
Thanks JB!

Is this what you are talking about?
These are codes for the Motorola Sport I was talking about earlier.
FRS radio Specifications, Frequencies and Codes

rescuecomm

Simplex GMRS Repeater

I had thought about using a simplex repeater on GMRS. To prevent the confusion of people hearing the initial transmission, I was going to use separate tones on Tx/RX. This required public safety type WT's for the simpeat and the HT's. Turned out to be too expensive at the time (1999). We are using MURS at present for hunting comms, but I am working on my hunt partner to get his Tech ham license.

Bob

adterra

I had thought about using a simplex repeater on GMRS. To prevent the confusion of people hearing the initial transmission, I was going to use separate tones on Tx/RX. This required public safety type WT's for the simpeat and the HT's. Turned out to be too expensive at the time (1999). We are using MURS at present for hunting comms, but I am working on my hunt partner to get his Tech ham license.

Bob
Thanks rescuecomm!

Hopefully, everything I'm ordering will come in within the next two weeks and I will be able to pull off a field test on the last week of December.
For the price of this set up, under $400.00, the six of us might be in pretty good shape, ...echo aside.

If not, ...look for some really good deals on eBay early 2010.
C'est la vie!

lavigne

this guy is jelouse cause he stays at home gabbing on his radio ,because he dont have the means to go out in the bush and have some reall purpose to use his radios ,that goes for lots of ham users they dont have a reall purpose to use them ,but they like to discourage the hunter who has a purpose to use them .

lavigne

hey adterra ,set yourself and your buddies up with ham ,you will get awsome range compared to crappy gmrs and frs and CB

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
this guy is jelouse cause he stays at home gabbing on his radio ,because he dont have the means to go out in the bush and have some reall purpose to use his radios ,that goes for lots of ham users they dont have a reall purpose to use them ,but they like to discourage the hunter who has a purpose to use them .

OH but we DO have real purposes,and Btw I AM a hunter also!!:evil:
n9zas

lavigne

thers guys out there all they do is sit at home and gab on these radios and they complaign when someone wants to use them for a purpose or they try to discourage them

lavigne

it just pisses me off when you got these guys who spend thousands of dollars on equipment and all they do is gab on these ,then you got a guy like a hunter for example that has a good purpose to use them a( reall reason).then you got the guy at home who spends most of his life on his radios thats accumulated lots of knowledge over the years doesint have the decency to help a guy who wants to use them for a reall purpose ,not all ham guys are like that but there are some cranky idiots out there

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
hey adterra ,set yourself and your buddies up with ham ,you will get awsome range compared to crappy gmrs and frs and CB

There should be no difference at all between GMRS and 440MHz amateur radio performance in simplex mode, or with comparable repeaters.

Status
Not open for further replies.