Huntington Beach pd

Status
Not open for further replies.

redneckcellphone

Premium Subscriber
Recently I got one of those crime newsletters from the neighborhood watch of Huntington Beach. In it was an article about the new police chief and it had the email address to ask him any questions.

I sent an email asking why pd frequencies had to be encrypted and said I'd rather hear about something when it happens not a month later in a newsletter.

Received an email back asking if this was something I wanted him to bring up at the city council meeting. When I replied yes he asked if I would be willing to go to one of the meetings. Due to my sleep/work schedule and especially that I don't do that great talking in front of large crowds I told him I can't.

Has anyone else ever thought about doing this or even done it?

connor - wqnd300

JCNHB

I can talk in front of crowds, alright. Not great. Im in HB too.

But I don't think we are going to make any progress at the city counsel meeting. The encryption is so criminals don't get tipped off and evade capture somehow.

The benefit of having law abiding citizens being able to listen is out weighted by the need to prevent criminals from listening.

James KK6KBH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Getting an email back from the new police chief of Huntington Beach is a good thing and that he even responded back.

The trend with Encryption is that once it has been implemented it is here to stay until otherwise. I can only maybe see in time that might ease up on maybe their Green-1 dispatch only and that is a pipe dream at the least.

The main problem is that Huntington Beach would not have the option to use clear transmissions. The whole county of orange law enforcement uses fulltime Encryption on every single talkgroup except for "RED" and a few other talkgroups.

So if you were able to attend a city council meeting you would have to have all of your ducks in a row and have solid concrete pro's and con's to easing up on Encryption and it would probably get shot down in the past, but having enough people together in shear force might make some sort of impact, but who knows.

The thing with Encryption is that LE does not care about us good citizens that live in the county that was to hear what is going on in our cities at all. They don't care about us at all. They just don't want criminals having one step in front of LE which the majority of these criminals are stupid anyways and they would not even know how to program a P25 scanner to even follow a digital trunked system. I even have some trouble here and there with new radios trying to figure them out and I have had a radio for 30 years now.

I think its worth a shot to goto a meeting and see what can be, but I think the city council would have to answer to The County of Orange and this would be a tough battle to overcome since the county has been using fulltime encryption for 13 years now.

Good Luck

Markb

Premium Subscriber
Interesting invitation by the Chief. You have to figure that even if you made a well thought out presentation. The City Council would likely go to the Chief and ask him what he thinks. He then has to deal with the rank-and-file who, after enjoying encryption for years and the warm and fuzzy feeling it gives them, will likely start a riot at the suggestion. There's a lot more to it than just flipping a switch.
Plus, their minds were made up long ago that encryption is the way to go. We just have to learn to live with that fact.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

jrholm

Pepsima in regards to your blanket statement that LE doesn't care about good citizens is just plain wrong. In regards to encryption I would say they just dont think about the average citizen, they are just thinking about keeping information out of the bad guys hands.

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Well before you make comments you need to read and first understand what I said.

Law Enforcement in any city or county and including Orange County doesn't care about good citizens listening in on radio communication on scanners at all. They just care about criminals having one step in front of LE doing their job. So in order to minimize the risk they Encrypt across the board. Now there is no chance of a criminal listening in on LE tactical talkgroups.

In reguards to keeping information from the public and us tax payers "YES" I do believe that to a small degree, but the fact of the matter is that OC encrypted 13 years ago and cities and counties across the globe are on-board with Encryption and the trend is happening faster than we want it too.

San Bernardino is next and its going to happen. Maybe not full Encryption but their will be more than there is now. Get use to it.

jrholm

Ok, I'm tracking you better there. Think we're in agreement just a difference in wording.

Code20Photog

Premium Subscriber
He then has to deal with the rank-and-file who, after enjoying encryption for years and the warm and fuzzy feeling it gives them, will likely start a riot at the suggestion. There's a lot more to it than just flipping a switch.

There was a great article a couple years back, post Kelly Thomas, that looked at the anonymity of police in Orange County with the encrypted radio system. How they can talk about things over the radio much more in the open than if they were non-encrypted. Not saying that the Kelly Thomas incident wouldn't have happened, but maybe that a stringer or other citizen with a video camera would have shown up while it was happening. The article pointed out that officers can talk about things over the radio with impunity whereas a department like LAPD, at any given moment, hundreds of people are listening both with scanners and online, even recording transmissions, which in some regard, is a system of checks and balances.

oracavon

Well, not quite with impunity. Radio transmissions are recorded and are subject to subpoena if an incident does occur. The public won't hear them, but they're not completely secretive. I remember an LAPD incident years ago in which the MDT messages of the officers were subpoenaed and used as evidence against them. Not the same as having everything out in the open, which would be better (from our perspective), but still not completely secretive.

Code20Photog

Premium Subscriber
Well, not quite with impunity. Radio transmissions are recorded and are subject to subpoena if an incident does occur. The public won't hear them, but they're not completely secretive. I remember an LAPD incident years ago in which the MDT messages of the officers were subpoenaed and used as evidence against them. Not the same as having everything out in the open, which would be better (from our perspective), but still not completely secretive.

Subpoenas are great, but you have to know something's happened to subpoena them.

JCNHB

Not only do you have to know that something has happened to subpoena them, you must also have an action filed in court in order for a subpoena to be issued.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oracavon

Subpoenas are great, but you have to know something's happened to subpoena them.

Not only do you have to know that something has happened to subpoena them, you must also have an action filed in court in order for a subpoena to be issued.

Yes, but the fact that such actions can be taken negates the statement that "officers can talk about things over the radio with impunity". Even without a subpoena, internal department activities, supervision and investigations also review the radio communications of officers. I'm not saying that these possibilities are better than having open communications. My only point is that the claim of "impunity" is not accurate.

dkf435

Huntington Beach has a good record of making video tapes "seized as evidence" disappear years ago during the summer weekend altercations that happened and other witnesses that were intimidated or arrested to make them quite.

Now everything is just swept under the rug. Used to be interesting hearing White, Gray, Black, Silver traffic and the old ASCII KDT400 traffic. Actually heard the one crooked undersheriff request and the pilots denied the request for DUKE to go to Palm Springs to pick him up and return the night the one Deputy got ambushed in south county versus searching for suspect.

They got everything hidden now it is never coming back.

David Kb7uns

Status
Not open for further replies.