Status
Not open for further replies.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Many of you already appear to monitor Huntington PD on:

452.7375 F1
451.8875 F2

However, we have no PL information submitted. To add to this, these frequencies are licensed to F & L Electronics for use on an LTR system.

The conventional frequencies are listed here in the DB:

Cabell County, West Virginia (WV) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

The listing for the Huntington site of the suspected F & L Electronics trunked system is here:

F&L Electronics Trunking System, Various, West Virginia - Scanner Frequencies

Is thre any chance that Huntington PD F1 and F2 actually ARE on an LTR system and that somebody just found the frequencies active and submitted them as conventional frequencies? This would explain why there are no PL tones listed [you wouldn't find a PL tone on an LTR trunked system].

If there is anybody down in Huntington area that can sleuth out those frequencies for F & L Electronics (specifically the Huntington site) and determine if this is indeed an LTR trunked system, that sure would be great.

If there are no PL tones coming up on the transmitters for 452.7375 and 451.8875, then they likely are part of the LTR system. And if that is the case, somebody needs to determine the LCN order for the system so that we can get that updated.

Any takers? Anybody willing to try and sleuth out whether those are simply conventional repeaters with PL/DPL or if they are LTR repeaters?

If you are using a scanner that is capable of trunking LTR systems, you'll still have to do some sleuthing to determine LCN order. Although if you have a handy scanner with Auto-Move on it (like an RS PRO-197, PRO-106, GRE PSR-500, PSR-600, and possibly others), then you can just program it in as an LTR system, put the freuqencies in whatever order, turn on Auto-Move for the TSYS object, add a group wildcard, and then scan the LTR system and see if you can pull LCNs and talkgroups.

Of course, if the two frequencies listed at the top have a PL or DPL on them, then they aren't part of the LTR system.

IT is interesting that in the listing for the F & L Electronics trunked systems, there is actually a note where somebody submitted in the past that Huntington PD would be switching to the LTR system.

So, I have to wonder... are they conventional repeaters or are they just one part of an LTR trunked system. And if they are part of an LTR trunked system, there is probably activity on those other frequencies listed in the Huntington site of that LTR system and you may be missing communications if you guys don't listen on those frequencies.

Mike

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Mark,

I'd like further clarificaiton before I make any change. If those frequencies are actually part of an LTR system, there would be no PLs. I need for somebody to specifically monitor those with a scanner that allows you to sit in Search / Tune mode and be able to have PL/DPL or LTR LCN / Home Repeater information show up.

I think those have been in the DB for some time, and Huntington is a popular city in WV, so I have to wonder if the lack of any previous PL information is due to the fact that no PL exists on it and people may be monitoring the channel conventionally wtih no PL when they may actually be LTR channels.

So I'm going to hold off on adding PLs until we get some additional clarification.

mike

wv8mat

Premium Subscriber
they are standard freq and that is the correct pl for those. i can key up my radio and get a sch tail off the repeater.

rlm1949

Receiving HPD F1 & 2 on my analog scanner. Freqs as identified same as on RadioReference.com - Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference. However, a new State Wide EMS Tower is being constructed on Barker Ridge, Cabell County next to the WPBY TV tower Numerous Fed, State, and local repeaters are currently co-located at this site Oh, the 146.64 repeater is also there.. Ground prep is under-way and tower in transit. Perhaps this will shed some light on the subject. Happy New Year.

kyguy

I have picked up HPD all day today on 452.7375 pl 103.5 on my 996.
Programmed it a little conv. RS handheld scanner and it still picks it up, telling me its not an LTR system.

Be Safe...Be Happy !!!

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I have picked up HPD all day today on 452.7375 pl 103.5 on my 996.
Programmed it a little conv. RS handheld scanner and it still picks it up, telling me its not an LTR system.

Be Safe...Be Happy !!!

Thanks for your verification, and thanks to the others that have provided same. I was simply going by information already listed in the DB that mentioned that HPD would be on an LTR system. That information obviously is not valid at this point in time and I will remove it from the database and will mark the HPD freqs that belong to the communications as not available in that particular LTR system, despite the license listing it.

Mike

W8UU

Pilot of the Airwaves
Premium Subscriber
This is an odd arrangement until you understand what happened. Huntington PD ran an antiquated VHF system on 155.25 (cruiser dispatch) and 155.52 (detectives and admin) since the 1950s. Both frequencies were 60 watt repeaters on a phone pole at Rotary Park, in the city's east end. As far as I know, there were no remote receivers or voting system in place, and Huntington is about 15 miles long. Officers on portable radios in the west end and on Interstate 64 had a lot of problems accessing the old VHF system, although the problems could have been fixed if remote receivers had been installed along with a voter system. You could hear the repeaters everywhere, but officers could not talk in to the system. Huntington Fire Department had several remote receivers and a voter on their 154.43 MHz repeater channel and it worked much better than the PDs system.

F & L Electronics is the Huntington Motorola sales and service outlet and they did radio work for the city for decades. The owner, Frank Scarberry, was a former Huntington city firefighter. I'm not sure what type of negotiations took place, but F&L put the new system in place and converted Huntington PD over to UHF and placed them on the system. I believe HPD is the only user of that system. They are on the Rotary Park EMS tower (owned by the State of West Virginia) which gives them about a 200 foot increase in transmit/receive antenna elevation from teh same hilltop location as their old phone pole set-up on VHF. Not sure if any remote receivers are part of the system, but system coverage is now exceptional to all far-flung parts of the city and beyond.

Switching to UHF also dove-tails with the county's conversion to UHF repeaters for Sheriff, Fire, and EMS, and with Marshall University PD, Barboursville PD, and Milton PD. The WVIRP trunked 450 MHz system came along later, but Huntington PD is poised to access that system now with the purchase of the proper radio equipment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.