Huron and Perth Counties OPP is going Digital

Should Fire and EMS be included in the feed?

• NO, I would NOT like to hear Fire and EMS in the feed

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

AeStein

Was listening on the weekend to your feed, it was great. Unfortunately like most cell phones the volume is pretty low. My question is...would you mind turning the feed volume up?

Thanks again :)

I have increased the gain as far as I can without causing significant clipping. Hopefully that will help a little bit for now. I may be able to do better but I'll probably have to write a program to do it for me. Give me a little time to work on the issue. If anybody has any suggestions for me on how to increase the output feed volume without increasing the gain or causing clipping, I welcome any advice.

h00ba

I appreciate all the effort you have put into this. Thank you, will check it out later on tonight :)

Sent from my HTC-X710a using Tapatalk

AeStein

The volume is alot better! When is Fire going to be added?

Unfortunately, Goderich and the other surrounding fire frequencies are all totally analog. I would have to add a fourth radio to the system and re-program my prioritization scripts to fit it in. I'm not saying that it's not possible but it just hasn't seemed worth the effort just yet, as the fire frequencies in the area seldom have anything happening on them. I have been rather busy with other things lately too.

Also, on a side note, I'm going to be moving at the end of the year. I don't yet know what will be happening with the feed. I would like to keep it active but it would mean setting up the system in a small corner of a friend's house or something like that and maintaining it remotely. I have been playing with the idea of using a Raspberry Pi to run the radios and stream the raw data to me over the internet, controlling them and processing the audio for broadcast remotely. I haven't done any experimenting yet though, so I don't know how feasible it would be. If anybody has any experience with doing that, I would appreciate your comments. One way or another, I don't plan on bailing on you guys. If it comes down to no other option, I'll start asking around for people in town that might want to take over and I would help them set up a system. So anybody that's in town and think you might be interested in doing that, make sure you subscribe to this thread and keep an eye on it getting closer to the end of the year, just in case I end up having to pass off the torch.

azk

Thanks for the update! I just seen that you are from Goderich. I am from Perth County and that was the fire feed that I was looking for!
Hope you can find someone to get the feed back up and running before you move!

AeStein

If you have your own scanner or SDR, the Goderich Fire Department is primarily on 154.175 MHz NFM, and the mutual aid for Huron County is 154.265 MHz NFM. Here are the other frequencies that are officially assigned to fire departments in Huron County (all are listed in MHz, use FM modulation, and are rounded to the nearest 10 kHz):

154.07 Central Huron/Clinton
154.45 Central Huron/Clinton
155.67 Goderich
156.21 Central Huron/Clinton
156.70 Goderich
162.75 Goderich
164.82 Goderich
169.14 Goderich
419.46 Central Huron/Clinton

I don't have the Perth County frequency assignment listing but I'm sure I can find it if you need it.

h00ba

Yes i agree, volume is better.... but lol, opp seems be clipping alot, making it hard to understand. I do thank you for all the effort you put into this.....i am at my trailer listenong to it right now woohoo

AeStein

What exactly do you mean by "clipping"? Technically, clipping is when the amplitude exceeds maximum capacity of the amplifier. It would mean the audio sounding distorted at any point that it becomes excessively loud. Or, do you mean that the audio stream is simply choppy?

h00ba

when opp officer speaks at his loudest point it distorts.....almost sounds like the input volume from the scanner is exceeding what the amp can handle..... it sounds like the amp clips when a higher volume is reached

h00ba

Just an opinon from someone on the other end......seems worse now after the time down

AeStein

The time down was unrelated. I had to do some system updates. I was adjusting it so it was worse for a bit. I've lowered the output gain for the OPP radio. How does it seem now?

h00ba

Maybe lower it just a little more....its definitly better but still clipping a bit

motomeso

Premium Subscriber
Can you set the scanner to detect the end code? It will make the end of the transmissions sound much cleaner.

AeStein

This trunking system does not use audible end codes (like an EDACS system, for example). End-of-transmission indicators are purely digital. I may be able to create a computer-generated sound but I will have to look into it. Frankly, I'm not sure if that would even be desirable for the majority of the listeners. I will look into it, though. If any of the other listeners would like to comment on whether you think that would be a good addition or not, I would appreciate the feedback.

7chakra7

help with why I can no longer huron opp

I just have scanner radio from the android app i can not get anything the last few days

Status
Not open for further replies.