Huron County EMA

Status
Not open for further replies.

denseglow

I'm not programing a scanner, I am programming a radio for someone but I don't live there so I don't know the PL.

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
Do you own a scanner? If you own one that is capable of doing a code search, then you can find it that way and program the new tone into the radio.

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider
I'm probably not the only one thinkiing this, but I am going to be the one to come out with it. If the person for whom you are programming this radio has authorization to have this frequency in their radio, then they should be able to obtain this information from the proper county officials.

denseglow

He is a firefighter, but thank you for your concern. Most people just press the button and talk they don't know what a PL is. He asked the guy and he said it was CSQ, just wanted to be sure.

16b

Premium Subscriber
It's a long shot, but if you happen to have (or can get) a good-quality recording of traffic on the frequency in WAV or MP3 format I (or someone else) can tell you the tone being used.

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider
denseglow said:
How can you tell what tone is being used? Just by the sound of it?

A PL tone is a continuous tone that is at a level below what we can hear and it "instructs" the receiving radio to keep the squelch open.There is software available, Wintone is one, that can "hear" the subaudible tone that our human ears cannot. Higher-end scanners can do the same thing.

denseglow

Wow, it might just be me but it seems that the higher you go in PL, the louder the buzz, such as 250.3 is louder than 67.0.

16b

Premium Subscriber
When I decode a PL tone from a WAV file I use audio editing software like CoolEdit (I think the free program Audacity will do this as well). I, for some reason, have never had any luck with Wintone.

And yes, the higher PL frequencies are mroe audible. A good radio will try to filter the tone out somewhat so that it can't be heard very prominently, but that only works to a certain extent. That's why I like DPL/DCS.

Status
Not open for further replies.