Huron County P25 TRS

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
THis application has been granted.

WRJD916

5 sites, four freqs, Phase II emissions. Sure sounds like it's destined to be part of Parma-Ottawa-Medina (or standalone).

Mike

dth1958

Feed Provider
Heard some traffic this morning from this system after hearing some tech talk a week ago
must still be in the process of bringing it online full time

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Heard some traffic this morning from this system after hearing some tech talk a week ago
must still be in the process of bringing it online full time

How is that possible, unless you have specific information on the trunked site? And if you have information on the trunked site, can you share it?

If you have information that is useful for others to listen to the system, please share it.

System ID:
Site ID:
NAC:
Control Channel Freq:

Thanks!

Mike

dth1958

Feed Provider
After reading your post of the freqs i put them in the scanner as tune channels with enable auto store it filled in the nac and decoded p25
one of the towers is 5 miles from the house

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
After reading your post of the freqs i put them in the scanner as tune channels with enable auto store it filled in the nac and decoded p25
one of the towers is 5 miles from the house

Hmm, Ok. You might want to add it to your scanner as a P25 trunked system with those frequencies.

But even with Tune (I presume you have a GRE/Whistler/RS scanner?), you should be able to tune to the control channel of the system (which would likely be one of those frequencies) and the display should provide SysID, SiteID, WACN, NAC, control channel freq. Can you attempt to do that when you get a chance?

Mike

dth1958

Feed Provider
In the process of taking the SDR plunge here with a new pc arriving tommorow and RTL SDR dongles using SDRTrunk
I'll be monitoring the tune freqs on my pro 197 in the meantime and will let you know when things get going here

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
In the process of taking the SDR plunge here with a new pc arriving tommorow and RTL SDR dongles using SDRTrunk
I'll be monitoring the tune freqs on my pro 197 in the meantime and will let you know when things get going here

In TUNE mode on your PRO-197, if you check each of those four frequencies, one of them will be the control channel (if the trunked system is actually online). And if you TUNE to the control channel, it will give all the information that we need in order to add it to the DB.

Mike

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
If there are any other readers from within/adjacent to HUron Co, could you check the frequencies that I posted above and see if there is a P25 control active on one of them? And if there is, could you gather the System ID, Site ID, NAC, WACN and current control channel freq?

Thanks

Mike

dth1958

Feed Provider
Have not heard any control transmission yet just stand alone P25 Transmissions scanning the above mentioned freqs
NAC showed 34C everything has been on 771.00625

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Have not heard any control transmission yet just stand alone P25 Transmissions scanning the above mentioned freqs
NAC showed 34C everything has been on 771.00625

Ok, thanks. I would not get too excited then. 771.00625 is also used on multiple MARCS sites, and a 34C NAC would be indicative of a MARCS site. So the activity you are currently hearing on 771.00625 is likely nothing to do with the Huron stuff.

Mike

HOLEBILLY

The fire depts have not gone to new system yet, listen to a call the other night and the fire depts are still useing old freqs, also the S.O. is still on old freqs

ctpd845

Feed Provider
I was in Bellevue for work today and took the scanner with me to see if I could dig up any information on this system. I did not detect any activity on the listed frequencies. I also did not detect a control channel on any of the frequencies.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I was in Bellevue for work today and took the scanner with me to see if I could dig up any information on this system. I did not detect any activity on the listed frequencies. I also did not detect a control channel on any of the frequencies.

Thank you. I guess they just haven't progressed that far then. I appreciate the sleuthing!

mike

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Very interesting. Definitely the Huron Co system with those freqs.

The WACN would suggest it might be a part of the Parma/Medina/Ottawa system, but if it is [currently], it is using a new system ID (where the existing sites are using System ID 018 and this one is using System ID 039) and it is using an RFSS.Site of 43.2 (where existing sites have RFSS and Site the same, eg 1.1, 2.2, 10.10, 20.20).

We'll have to wait and see if/when it might start broadcasting any neighboring sites. So far I don't see any neighbors being broadcast. Might be good for somebody in Ottawa or Medina to see if those sites list Huron as a new neighbor at some point, and you'll want to watch out to see if Huron ends up eventually listing one or more neighbors.

WACN: 00001 hex (same as Ottawa/Parma/Medina system)
System: 039 hex [57 dec] - (versus 018 on Ottawa/Parma/Medina existing sites)
RFSS.Site: 43.2 dec / 2B.2 hex (versus Ottawa/Parma/Medina sites which typically have the same RFSS/Site like 1.1, 2.2, 10.10, 20.20)
NAC: 293 hex (659 dec)

In the meantime, people interested in listening to it will need to program it in manually, as it won't be listed in the DB until we know for sure if it's a standalone system for Huron Co or part of the Ottawa/Parma/Medina system.

Please keep us abreast of anything new you find, such a talkgroup ranges seen and any neighbor/peer information that might show up.

Mike

Last edited:

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin

FYI - Presumably that is going to be a simulcast (up to 5 sites I think I saw in commissioner notes) -- although I don't know how many actual sites within the simulcast are online yet. If you are using the C4FM decoder in SDRTrunk, at some point as more sites in the simulcast come online you may end up having to switch to the CQPSK decoder. But it looks like you have a great signal and decode right now. Very nice.

Thanks for posting your findings. Hopefully others in your area will program it in and start monitoring it for traffic as well.

For anyone wanting to program it into a scanner, you only need the three control channel frequencies programmed in and need to set it up as a P25 system. Of course, it looks to be PHase II (and I would guess it is P2 since I see the TDMA references and bandplan and commissioner notes suggest it is TDMA). So if you don't have a Phase II P25 capable scanner, you likely won't be able to monitor this system.

Unfortunately, Huron Co Commissioner meeting minutes posted online are only up to date as of 8-4-2020. I'm betting there is more discussion about this system in new meeting minutes, if they ever get posted. I believe the meeting minutes mentioned that Cleveland Communications was installing this system, but don't take that as gospel truth.